World Triathlon Corporation
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 18m
Overall Rank = 293/1300
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 39/143
Pre-race routine:

wooke up at 5am. cut levemir from 11 units to 8unitsl. Ensure, PB begal, banana. I had an ensure around 3am because BG was low and couldnt sleep.
Event warmup:

got arms loose. Went to john a couple times.
Swim
  • 37m 26s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

I did better than expected. I basically threw swimming out the window the past 2 years and tried to focus on my run. Just not enough time with new baby and work to train for 3 sports and have a life. I probably did 8-10 swims before this race. I just could gain so much more time in the run.

I just used the turn around bouys to navigate. I think some people were not sure exactly how to swim this course. The in between buoys are just used for sighting and everyone was trying to keep them on their right side. However i found that the bouys were not a straight path to the turn around bouys. The chop was low enough to just sight 600 yards down.

It was windy and there was some chop. I drank about 4-5 mouths full of lake water mixed with gas. I felt comfortable with my pace but feel like i slowed down the last 300 yards or so. It was too impossible to draft this because of the TT start. Seth was helping people out of the water and he gave me a good but to stand me up. That was well needed bacause I was not prepaired to go up stairs coming out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

Swim Training
Transition 1
  • 03m 33s
Comments:

not a bad spot next to exit. Had to check BG. 155 i believe. Suit stuck on feet for a bit. I made sure I had what I needed before leaving i.e Sodium Tablets. Put shoes on before leaving because I didnt have to run far with them on my feet.
Bike
  • 2h 43m 32s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.55 mile/hr
Comments:

Bridge to start out and on the way back into transition. A strong headwind up a bridge is not a good way go get the mph average up to start the bike. Direct headwind after that for 25 miles...felt like maybe 10-15mph. I think i averaged 18.7ish going out until i went into the tailwind. i wanted to go harder but my main focus was to maintain a good steady run for this HIM and trying to go harder was not a good idea.

At this point my target of >21mph was was fading. The tailwind on the way back was nice but it was not enough. coming in I hit the bridge with avg mph at 20.7. but a slow crawl up the bridge followed buy a downhill that had a u turn after it with a slow coast into transition ended me at right under 20.6. I was sub par but understandable with the conditions.
Transition 2
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

I was in a a rush to get out of T2 because of time I lost on the bike. Not too bad of a transisiton. BG was still around 150.

I FORGOT SODIUM TABLETS FOR THE RUN!!! WHY DO I ALWAYS DO THIS!
Run
  • 1h 51m 46s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

I strangely felt really good starting this run. My goal was <9min mile. Course started off with some bridges. My first mile was 8:18 and I felt really good so I decided to turn it down some and see how I felt around mile 8-10. The temperature was perculiarly comfortable for running in New Orleans at this time of year. I forgot my sodium tablets so the temp was going to help. My plan was to drink 2 Peform cups every aide station and to go slow and steady and a gel at 3,6,9 aide stations because I forgot to grab gels out of T2. I ate a Roctaine gel at mile 3 and DAMN if felt like that gave me a big boost.

I stopped at mile 3 also to take my only whiz of the race. My mile was still 9:03 with the bathroom break. My goal was just to go steady at this pace so I wouldnt fade early and if i had some juice left maybe pick it up at 10 mile mark.

At mile 10 pace was still good but I was hesitant to pick it up and fade with a mile left. So I picked it up at mile 12 and finished strong. My last mile was the fastest.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

My watch said full data at mile 15 of the bike. It just stopped and my overall race time said 00:00. So i raced blindly after that. I was hoping to beat 5:30 but I figured I might be 5:32ish.... I checked my time after the race and saw 5:18:00. I was way off but I guess I couldnt complain.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

wind

Last updated: 2013-04-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:26 | 2112 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 51/143
Overall: 387/1300
Performance: Good
Suit: xterra
Course: N shape in harbor.
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low