http://www.timeoutproductions.com/ContactUs.htm
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 42m 26s
Overall Rank = 60/467
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 16/60
Pre-race routine:

Left our campsite around 6:15 to get to the site in plenty of time. No coffee per usual, so I had a couple of Red Bulls, and a bagel for breakfast. I could still feel the S'mores and burgers in my belly from the previous night. (Camping pre-race night can do that for you, you know?) Had a Gu while gettin my wetsuit on. I remembered my timing chip this time, but had my wetsuit halfway on befor I realized I still had my wallet in the little side pocket of my tri shorts! Fortunately, no problem to scoot back and put it away.
Event warmup:

A little stretching while waiting for the swim start.
Swim
  • 23m 24s
  • 1320 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

I had such a hard time breathing last race, I took it out really slowly, and just kept it steady. My goal was to come out of the water feeling good, and not ready to collapse, which I accomplished.
What would you do differently?:

I'm going to have to start swimming more one of these days! Otherwise, stategy was fine. I kept to the left at the start, and avoided some of the churn.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

They didn't break the T's out from the bike time, so I'm not sure of my time. But I do know this was my first attempt at a 'flying" mount. I had practiced for about an hour the night before with my new(ish) tri bike shoes. The mounting zone was slighly uphill, so i knew I was in trouble as soon as I came to it. I got my right foot on the pedal OK, but pushed too hard down on the left trying to get some momentum up the hill, and I pushed the shoe right off the bike! I had to stop, collect the shoe from a volunteer, and get my act back together. I couldn't decide the best way to get going again as my righ shoe was still on the bike, and my left shoe was in my hand! Finally, after what seemed like minutes, I stuck the meft shoe on, hopped on the bike and did a rolling shoe entry for my right foot, while I clicked in with my left.

More practice -and scope the the mounting zone to see if uphill!
Bike
  • 49m 32s
  • 16.6 miles
  • 20.11 mile/hr
Comments:

had some issues again with my ancient bike. I could get into the highest gear on my small ring, and the big ring keeps slipping off completely, so I had some gearing issues and need to spend more time with my bike repair book in the garage.

Not too much. I took it fairly "easy" I didn't want to push too hard and blow up later. In retrospect, I probably could have pushed more. My legs were definitely feeling my recent big uppage in mileage for the july 700 mile challenge.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Firs time doing a flying dismount. Only problem was that I pulled my shoes a little too early, as I thought we were at T2 well before we actually were. Just need to know the course better. otherwise, it went well. I passed at least one person screwing around with dismount, and removing thier shoes etc... Running shoes went on quickly - number belt, and hat....

Know the course so I wait to pull shoes in the last 100 yards or so...
Run
  • 29m 29s
  • 5 miles
  • 05m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

Good run. I just kept passing people. I felt really good, and even joked with some folks and exchanged words of encouragement. The last mile flew by. I'm 99% sure it was fairly short. (My FR301 agrees)I was really starting to pick it up for a strong last 1/2 mile when all of a sudden the finish line was there! Funky last 100 yards, as we had to do a 120 degree left turn to finish under the banner. Anything for the photo, I guess.

Get to the run quicker!
Post race
Warm down:

mope

What limited your ability to perform faster:

poor diet leading to race, and sleeping in a campground for 2 nights previous? Some bike tech issues, and lack of swimming. for starters....:-)

Event comments:

Very well run. Issues with the course as noted above. Otherwise, really well done race. I WILL be back!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-06-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:24 | 1320 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 32/60
Overall: 187/467
Performance: Average
Suit: Desoto T1
Course: Nice triangle course. Well marked. I especially liked the scaffolding with the two big orange banners on it to sight off on the home stretch. VERY nice touch!
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:49:32 | 16.6 miles | 20.11 mile/hr
Age Group: 27/60
Overall: 187/467
Performance: Average
Time includes transitions.
Wind: None
Course: They had to change the course from the original 24 mile course to a 17 (16.6) mile out and back. No big deal for me (although it'll be harder to compare next year's results) but I do have to express some displeasure. The halfway point of the course was exactly at the bottom of a steep hill, so the free speed you earned climbing had to be thrown away breaking and going single file into the water stop/turn-around point. I asked for some Gatorade, but all I heard was water - water - water... So I grabbed a bottle of water, and was preparing to have a swig, ot put it into my aerobottle, when a volunteer yelled to watch out for the dip! She wasn't talking about me, but about the ginourmous canyon I now had to get thru with one hand holding a bottle, and one hand on my bars. I guess it's a drainage type thing on the side of the road, but I almost wiped out looking like a cowboy on a bronco about to get tossed. I got past it and still hadn't done anything with my water, amd looked ahead to see the steep hill I had just braked down waiting for me to climb back up! Fortunately, I'm not so anal about my race set up and still had my cages on the bike to hold the bottle until I could pour it into the aero bottle at the top of the hill. I understand the RD has to work with what he's got, but that was truly a nasty little spot. I'd be suprised if everyone made it through there unscathed. (Then again, maybe I'm just a spaz)
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:29:29 | 05 miles | 05m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/60
Overall: 14/467
Performance: Good
Course: Loop around Lake morey. nice course. Some small hills, but not bad.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-07-11 9:32 PM

User image

Expert
Manchester, NH
Subject: Fairlee Great Triathlon

2006-07-12 3:31 AM
in reply to: #479710

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
Subject: RE: Fairlee Great Triathlon

nice job at Fairlee.  I've always heard this was a good race to do.  Would you do it again?

2006-07-12 1:44 PM
in reply to: #479852

User image

Expert
Manchester, NH
TriMom217 - 2006-07-12 4:31 AM

nice job at Fairlee.  I've always heard this was a good race to do.  Would you do it again?

Thanks, and yes!Really well done xcept for the funky bike turn-around. Awesome venue - really well done!
2006-07-12 7:43 PM

User image

Regular
Somerville, MA

great race, esp the run! I did this race last year as a team member--I did the bike leg. The 25mi course was awesome--though it does have a couple of pretty big climbs. Hopefully they'll bring it back--this one doesn't sound quite as good
2006-07-14 1:21 PM
in reply to: #480997

User image

Expert
Manchester, NH
dirt gal - 2006-07-12 8:43 PMgreat race, esp the run! I did this race last year as a team member--I did the bike leg. The 25mi course was awesome--though it does have a couple of pretty big climbs. Hopefully they'll bring it back--this one doesn't sound quite as good
I can't compare, as this is my first Fairlee. Hopefully next year :-)Any reason you didn't come back this year?
2006-07-14 7:26 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Thanks for the detailed report!

Great job!

2006-07-15 11:21 AM
in reply to: #482943

User image

Regular
Somerville, MA
immyfish - 2006-07-14 1:21 PM

I can't compare, as this is my first Fairlee. Hopefully next year :-)Any reason you didn't come back this year?

yeah, several ...! i had hoped last year that this year i would do all three legs, but then had to have knee surgery in march, so am pretty much not running this summer. I might have been able to do the bike leg again I suppose (trust me, nobody would want me in a swim leg!) but my buddies weren't doing it, plus I have to study for the bar exam about 10 days away

I'm hoping to do a bunch of cyclocross in the fall assuming my leg is ok with it, and maybe some triathlon-ing next season!
2006-07-15 12:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA

wow you got some great times there.  I haven't camped before a race, but I am thinking about doing it for my next one which is at a state park and over 2 hours away.  I have read several race reports with different results with the camping thing.  One guy woke up stiff...have you had any problems? 

edit...I should say...with a stiff back.

I would love to see what your bike time is with something other than your 'ancient' bike! 

Congrats on the race!

Kelly

Edited by Abear2 2006-07-15 12:14 PM
2006-07-15 3:00 PM

User image

Expert
New Orleans
Nice race! I always like checking out your race reports to see your run times. Way to smoke another run!
2006-07-15 5:52 PM

User image

Master
Bronze member
Nice race! I was orry to not be able to do this one this year- did it last year and enjoyed the course & venue a lot- plus learned a lot! Glad you were able to enjoy- and I think the RD will listen to comments....
2006-07-15 9:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine WI
Awesome race, great split times, especially the run!!!

2006-07-17 5:21 AM
in reply to: #483481

User image

Expert
Manchester, NH

Bar exam??? That only takes a couple of hours, right?  Don't you have a better excuse?  :-)

Hope the knee continues to heal, and good luck on your exam!

2006-07-17 5:28 AM
in reply to: #483496

User image

Expert
Manchester, NH
Abear2 - 2006-07-15 1:13 PM

wow you got some great times there.  I haven't camped before a race, but I am thinking about doing it for my next one which is at a state park and over 2 hours away.  I have read several race reports with different results with the camping thing.  One guy woke up stiff...have you had any problems? 

edit...I should say...with a stiff back.

I would love to see what your bike time is with something other than your 'ancient' bike! 

Congrats on the race!

Kelly

Thanks!

LMAO!!

No issues with a stiff back! :-)

I'm pretty lucky in that I can sleep soundly just about anywhere.  My wife, however, needs all the creature comforts, so we have a blow up mattress and sheets and blankets etc...etc... No camping under the stars on the ground or anything like that...The only problem is the change in routine.  EG..No AM coffee/cereal combo that I'm used to.  No biggie though... as long as you don't do anything that will throw your stomach off.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Fairlee Great Triathlon Rss Feed