Siouxperman Triathlon
37F / 3C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 18m 36s
Overall Rank = 7/186
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 5/35
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:00 AM. Oatmeal. PB and Butter sandwhich. Coffee. Good breakfast.
Jay G and Richelle B met me at my house and we were on the road at 6:30 Am.
Just under an hour drive to Sioux Center. Got there about 7:30 and set up transition. There were several Sux Tri Club members at this event and many of them were doing their first triathlon so I was happy to help everyone get set up.
Event warmup:

Only warmup I could do was about a mile running outside and tons of stretching. Drank a full bottle of water and had everything ready to go.

This event was going to be tough. Rain, Winds in the 20 mph sustained with gusts to 30Mph. 38 degrees. Wind chill in the 20s. I decided to go with socks on the bike and had an extra pair just in case for the run.

It's the kind of day where people will get pulled off the course due to hypothermia. Not gonna be me.

Swim
  • 04m 2s
  • 300 yards
  • 01m 20s / 100 yards
Comments:

Standard pool swim. Took off at a decent pace. checked my watch at 150 and was at 2:00. This is where I wanted to be. Started with flip turns but I had a hard time judging where I was and decided to do open turns for the last 200 of the swim.

What would you do differently?:

Not much. It was a good swim.
Transition 1
  • 02m 46s
Comments:

Transition includes about a 200 yard run so it is a little misleading in overall time. T1 was the definition of "speed vs comfort". With the terrible weather I made the decision to put on socks for the rid and pants and a long sleeved shirt under a wind breaker. It took extra time but I felt I needed the protection from the 20-35 mph winds in 38 degrees weather with rain. YUCK. Garmin 910 did not function well in this event. It was all screwed up because of the pool swim and tried to find satellites while inside during t1. I ended up stopping the multisport option and set the workout to bike. At least I knew my speed and distance and heart rate on the bike.

Different pants maybe next time. I was very happy with the layers though.
Bike
  • 46m 35s
  • 15.53 miles
  • 20.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Severe cross wind for the first mile, then 90 degree turn to the north into a very tough, sustained head wind and rain. mph showed anywhere from 13 mph to 20 mph on the way out. Rolling hills, wet course. Mud in places due to tractors. Several ambulances on the road pulling bikers off suffering from the cold. This was a tough ride. Miles were ticking off very slowly. I kept thinking, I hope that mile marker says Mile 7... nope, mile 4, 5, 6..... 7 Finally. I see ambulances at the turnaround again. Someone is laying on the ground getting loaded up. I hope he / she is okay.

At the turnaround it felt AMAZING!!! Speeds hitting 35 MPH! Passed a ton of the early "slow" swim starters and saw one of the studs in front of me. Couldn't quite bridge the gap. Some of the early swimmers were all over the road. Swerving from line to line, very dangerous. One person looked like they were going into shock. I alerted the police officer at the next intersection about her and he took off. I hope she was okay too.

The last 90 degree turn into town was a miserable 1 mile ride. The cross wind was tough. Had to lean into the wind to stay aero. Very challenging last mile and it was only a mile.

I still can't believe this was only a 15 mile bike. It felt much much longer. I was able to get my soaking wet and cold feet out of my shoes before the entrance to T2.

Keep pushing through the wind. I was cranking a high cadence but just couldn't keep the speed up.
Transition 2
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

Took off my pants. They were soaked and basically falling off. Changed my socks. Found dry gloves. Put my shoes on and took off with my hat and race belt. It was a slow T2 because the path is narrow and someone in front of me was taking their sweet ass time getting to the racks.

Happy with my decisions during transitions this year. They were much slower than I normally would have liked to see but I'm okay with that. Having layers was the right choice. I never felt too cold during most of the race. There were SEVERAL people, probably a couple dozen who DNF due to the wet cold.
Run
  • 21m 38s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

I took off with short strides trying to get the feeling back in my feet. At about 1/2 mile in I felt pretty good and was going at 6:45 / mile pace. We went out with the wind so I pushed it for the first 1.5 miles knowing that it was going to be cold and windy on the way back. Never felt pain in my quad that I thought would surface. Only pain was at the end and it was just muscle soreness. Overall happy with my time even though I did not have my Garmin working properly.

Push harder on the run. I had gas left in the tank but I held back to avoid cold muscle injuries. Just push harder!!
Post race
Warm down:

Got in line to get stretched by PT and changed my clothes. Stretched some and waited for other STC members to finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weather. Nothing more than that.

Event comments:

Sioux Center does a great job supporting this event and there are plenty of volunteers. Post meal of brats and burgers was done well. The pool swim is a tough way to do this but that is our only option this early in May in Iowa.

I will keep coming back if it continues to work into my schedule.

Last updated: 2013-04-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:02 | 300 yards | 01m 20s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/35
Overall: 4/186
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri Suit
Course: 6 lap pool swim indoors. Stay in your half of your lane the entire time. Race started at 9:00 AM and I was in the water at 10:00 AM
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:46
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:46:35 | 15.53 miles | 20.00 mile/hr
Overall: 8/186
Garmin data was screwed up. Not sure about total
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Out and back L shaped course. Typical rolling Iowa hills. Some rumble strips.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:02
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:38 | 03.11 miles | 06m 58s  min/mile
Overall: 10/186
Course: Mostly running trail with very minor hills. Can't even really call them hills, more like inclines.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-05-04 4:18 PM

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.
Subject: Siouxperman Triathlon

2013-05-07 9:05 AM
in reply to: #4727379

User image

New user

Sioux Falls, SD
Subject: RE: Siouxperman Triathlon
Yeah, that bike leg was brutal.  I couldn't believe the number of under dressed folks on the bike course.
2013-05-07 3:00 PM
in reply to: #4730912

User image

Storm Lake
Great job for finishing! Weather-wise, this was probably one of the worst races I've ever done . Even though I bundled up for the bike leg, I ended up with the paramedics when I got back - my legs were shaking, my feet were numb and my hands were immobile. I felt really bad for the guy in the pool next to me - he was shaking uncontrollably for a good 20 minutes.
2013-05-08 1:49 PM
in reply to: #4731808

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

ashkmiller - 2013-05-07 3:00 PM Great job for finishing! Weather-wise, this was probably one of the worst races I've ever done . Even though I bundled up for the bike leg, I ended up with the paramedics when I got back - my legs were shaking, my feet were numb and my hands were immobile. I felt really bad for the guy in the pool next to me - he was shaking uncontrollably for a good 20 minutes.

Thanks!!  I think the guy next to you was last year's winner and a friend of mine.  I was REALLY concerned about him when I saw the EMTs taking him back to the hot tub.  He's okay now and I did a swim workout with him on Monday.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Siouxperman Triathlon Rss Feed