Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Trails, dogs, and leashes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

Trails, dogs, and leashes
OptionResults
Yes, Ethan. Your soul is pure and your frustration righteous.32 Votes - [80%]
Seriously, dude? Be glad it wasn't feral dogs looking for hands to eat.8 Votes - [20%]

2013-05-06 1:16 PM
in reply to: #4729612

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC
Subject: RE: Trails, dogs, and leashes

mrheathen - Can any of you think of any way to let people know it's not ok without coming off as a priggish nutjob?

Say, "Please keep your dog on a leash, it's the law."

If they say "OK", offer them a treat.

2013-05-06 2:17 PM
in reply to: #4727829

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
mrheathen - 2013-05-05 8:47 AM

Behind Annapolis High School is Broad Creek Park, which has some awesome trails. They're maintained by one of the local running groups and taking the dog there to run and hike is my weekend joy. I love it.

Am I wrong to be really annoyed with the people who choose not to leash their dogs in this park? We have leash laws here, but speeding is illegal too. 

I'm OK with dogs being off a leash if they aren't out of control and not bugging people.

I went to the track the other week and two cute dogs were off the leash while their owners ran around the track. Which would have been fine except...

~ They left the track to chase off some dog on his leash with his owner. I'm sure the owner of that dog didn't appreciate it much. It took the owners a little bit of time to try to go get their dogs.

~ I couldn't leave my bag on the ground because the owner said the dogs might get into. Hum. OK.

~ The dogs took a poop in the middle of the field (where a High School football team practices). The owners didn't even care and made no effort to pick up the poop.

~ One of the dogs would come near me as I was running and almost get under my feet. I was trying to do speed work and I was scared of stepping on their dog. I'm sure the owners wouldn't appreciate their dogs having a broken leg, etc. but it would have been the owners fault for not leashing them. I did miss the dog(s) each time and never stepped on one.

Edited by KSH 2013-05-06 2:22 PM
2013-05-06 3:34 PM
in reply to: #4729642

User image

Expert
Woodland, California
1234run - 2013-05-06 11:08 AM

Depends.  Have you been the victim of near fatal attacks at the jowls of an unleashed dog?  If not, you might be overreacting a bit. 

Really?

Last year an unleashed dog attacked my leashed dog. I had to break up the fight (between two 75+ lb dogs). The unleashed dog was fine, but my dog had a deep puncture wound and had to go to the vet.

Also last year, I was running on a trail and was jumped on and nipped in the elbow by a large german shepherd. Its owner was right there and made no effort to control it.

Neither of these incidents qualifies as a "near fatal attack" but I don't think I'm overreacting one bit in expecting other owners to leash their animals when the law requires it.

2013-05-06 6:04 PM

User image

Elite

Honestly, I'd just make an anonymous call to the police or animal control depending on the area.  The folks who are breaking the rules won't "see the light" when you point out their transgression.

Having your dog unleashed (unless you're in a dog park that allows it) is a selfish act by the dog-owner.  

Heck, I get this in my own little suburban neighborhood.  You've got a good run going and all of a sudden Cujo is making a bee-line for ya.  On good days I stop, lower my voice, and order it away.  I'd really prefer continuing my run uninterrupted by dogs with irresponsible owners.  

With little yapper dogs on the good days I stop and wait for the irresponsible owner to come get it.  On days I'm not feeling so charitable I just let the dog follow me.  That way, the irresponsible owner is forced to get some exercise as well, running after their dog.

2013-05-06 6:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I just want to add, to all of you who have your dogs off leash on trails, in parks or walking where dogs are required to be on leash - Please leash your dogs. Both of my dogs will have issues if unleashed friendly dogs come at them. One of the is 13.5 years old and extremely geriatric so if an offleash dog comes at her, it is likely she could actually fall and injure herself or worse. Our other dog is a dog aggressive dog. When "friendly" off leash dogs come charging at us, all she sees is something to attack. we can walk within 10 feet of an on leash dog that we know is there and is not being overly reactive without trouble (though it took a lot of training to get where we are) but an off leash dog charging us is impossible to work with. If my wife and I are together it usually ends with her taking both dogs and trying to back them off and distract them while I place myself between my dogs and the off leash dog. if I am lucky the dogs owner grabs them. I am often not that lucky depending on the park or trails I am on.

again - please - if you have your dog in a public place keep them leashed for the good of other dogs and the good of your dog.

2013-05-06 10:33 PM
in reply to: #4729564

User image

Elite
Reno
dontracy - 2013-05-06 12:38 PM

If a dog so much as sniffs the ground without being allowed to by its handler/owner/master, or stops sniffing when commanded to, then the dog isn't under full control.

Every dog is capable of biting.  All it takes is enough stress.  Different dogs have different levels that will trigger a bite.

Dogs should be leashed without exception in mixed use areas if that is the law.

Dogs don't love, dogs don't have friends, dogs aren't children, dogs don't have human emotions.  Dogs are dogs.

Dogs seek pleasure and want to avoid pain. Dogs are constantly trying to figure out their rank in the hierarchy of the pack.  If you want a calm and content dog, make sure you are its alpha.

Different breeds of dogs come wired to perform certain tasks and behaviors more than others. Some are bred and wired primarily to fight, no matter how sweet they can seem.  

Other than that, dogs are the best animal companion there is.  It was hard to be without one for most of the last year until we got our new puppy last month.

Glad you have a new puppy! I know every dog can bite when stressed - so can I, if only figuratively. I know they need "clan structure", And i worked hard to assert my position when she was 9 months old, and it paid off. But I also "know" that my dog loves us in her capacity of expression, and she certainly has specific dogs she prefers to others, the former I consider her "friends". Does she have "human" emotions? She is more simple and pure than the people I know. She is the forth dog in my life, the 2nd of my adult life. Alex, my first adult dog, was the bomb - Mandy has 11 years to fill his shoes, and she is just going about it differently Mandy is a very different personality. Alex was a German shepherd mix, policeman personality and Mandy is a ball chasing herder border collie mix. Alex lived for dinner time, Mandy lives for chasing balls outside or "find it" .

2013-05-07 6:24 AM
in reply to: #4730221

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
ChineseDemocracy - 2013-05-06 7:04 PM

Heck, I get this in my own little suburban neighborhood.  You've got a good run going and all of a sudden Cujo is making a bee-line for ya.  On good days I stop, lower my voice, and order it away.  I'd really prefer continuing my run uninterrupted by dogs with irresponsible owners.  

With little yapper dogs on the good days I stop and wait for the irresponsible owner to come get it.  On days I'm not feeling so charitable I just let the dog follow me.  That way, the irresponsible owner is forced to get some exercise as well, running after their dog.

My neighborhood is like this.  When a dog comes at me I don't stop, but give a firm "NO" or "GO HOME" and usually the dogs stop.  When it's a little yapper I pick up my pace and see how far from home it will chase me before the owner realizes it's gone.

2013-05-07 8:34 AM
in reply to: #4729642

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
1234run - 2013-05-06 1:08 PM

Depends.  Have you been the victim of near fatal attacks at the jowls of an unleashed dog?  If not, you might be overreacting a bit. 

That's funny.

As a mountain biker, when off leash Fluffy darts across the trails, I may just end up with a broken collar bone but Fluffy will fare far worse. 

Fortunately I ride under control and at a slower than walking pace when I come up on trail users with unleashed dogs.  The owner tries to get the dog to share the trail but they just won't.  I herded a dog off the trail with my front wheel a couple of weeks ago and the dog owner was just oblivious.

I had another off leash dog grab for my foot with its mouth.  MTB shoes are tough all around and that dog got a good shove.  I'm sure this was another non-threatening dog who is just misunderstood.

When I ride on multi-use trails, I slow way down when I see hikers/runners.  I go very slow past dogs so as to not excite them.  I stop when I see horseback riders because mountain bikes freak out many horses.

Bottom line: why is it so hard for people to not be selfish and to show just the slightest amount of trail ettiquette?

2013-05-07 10:03 AM

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL

Mixed feelings on this one...   I just brought a new dog into the house as a future running mate and as he gets older I am looking forward to hitting the trails.   I run a MTB trail that is rarely used and have come across folks with dogs off-leash and not had a problem.  There are no marked signs saying dog on leash at all.   Heck I dont think there are any signs period although trail on munical land.   I have brought him there once already and walked with him with leash off.   When someone came from behind etc I held his collar off to side of trail.   There are valid points made on both sides here and I agree with default answer is to always keep dog on leash.   Just a shame we cant count on common sense to prevail in these cases.   I am a big believer in the saying its not the dog its the owner.  I go to the dog park often and cant count the # of times people with agressive dogs have said, they just play rough or they wont bite.  Rediculous...  Last rant, went to dog beach this weekend and normally all is good and people use good judgement.  This one woman shows up with pit and boxer on leash.   Dogs go over and sniff-sniff and you can tell they are not friendly.   She then lets boxer off leash and its not 5 minutes before there is a fight with another dog.  Person's dog who was attacked had to yell at the owner to put the dog on the leash as she just stood there.   So should you be at dog beach or dog park with a dog you know you have to keep on a leash or else?   I am sure they are trying to socialize the dogs, but without training, it is an accident waiting to happen.  

2013-05-07 11:38 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I have been running for 35 years and I could tell dozens of stories of encounters that I have had with unleashed dogs on multi-use trail systems.  Few, if any, were positive for me.  It is just another example of selfish, self-centered, inconsiderate behavior.  I could go on and on ranting but most of those who do this could care less how I feel and seem to have justified in their mind how this is ok so there is no point.

2013-05-07 12:14 PM

User image

Pro
Evanston,

When my dog is on-leash, he snarls at other dogs who approach.  Maybe he feels the need to protect me, or feels cornered by the leash.  He does not distinguish between friendly and aggressive dogs, and gets upset by ANY who approach us.

This once got me berated by a lady whose off-leash chihuahua pup came running up to us, on a busy trail with clear "dogs on leash only" signage.  She was super abusive, telling me I needed to control my aggressive dog.  It rattled me on what was otherwise a lovely day.  Presumably you are not abusive, but your dog's friendly approach would upset a dog like mine (who would otherwise be glad to leave your dog alone).

That said: if no-one is around, a luxury I can enjoy here on some trails in Oklahoma, my canine hiking buddy dashes freely through the woods chasing every scent that catches his fancy.  Only if I see other people or dogs, or get near a road, do I clip him in.  The empty trails tend not to have leash signage anyway.

2013-05-07 12:25 PM
in reply to: #4728051

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Marvarnett - 2013-05-05 2:47 PM

I also park in the "Expectant Mothers or Mom with newborn" spots as well.  But I digress.

Man you're on a roll this week.

Undecided

2013-05-07 12:36 PM

User image

Pro

I don't care much if your dog is not on a leash.....as long as you understand that if your dog runs up to sniff my leashed dog there is probably going to be one hell of a dog fight....the dog I have now is very protective/territorial/dominant and doesn't play well with others.  They're all different.

2013-05-07 1:47 PM
in reply to: #4731061

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
cardenas1 - 2013-05-07 11:03 AM

Mixed feelings on this one...   I just brought a new dog into the house as a future running mate and as he gets older I am looking forward to hitting the trails.   I run a MTB trail that is rarely used and have come across folks with dogs off-leash and not had a problem.  There are no marked signs saying dog on leash at all.   Heck I dont think there are any signs period although trail on munical land.   I have brought him there once already and walked with him with leash off.   When someone came from behind etc I held his collar off to side of trail.   There are valid points made on both sides here and I agree with default answer is to always keep dog on leash.   Just a shame we cant count on common sense to prevail in these cases.   I am a big believer in the saying its not the dog its the owner.  I go to the dog park often and cant count the # of times people with agressive dogs have said, they just play rough or they wont bite.  Rediculous...  Last rant, went to dog beach this weekend and normally all is good and people use good judgement.  This one woman shows up with pit and boxer on leash.   Dogs go over and sniff-sniff and you can tell they are not friendly.   She then lets boxer off leash and its not 5 minutes before there is a fight with another dog.  Person's dog who was attacked had to yell at the owner to put the dog on the leash as she just stood there.   So should you be at dog beach or dog park with a dog you know you have to keep on a leash or else?   I am sure they are trying to socialize the dogs, but without training, it is an accident waiting to happen.  

I'm sure there aren't any signs that say no drugs, murder, assault, etc... but if a leash law is in effect where the trail is then I would suggest to you that it is fully enforceable, sign or no sign.

2013-05-07 1:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
New plot twist. I was on the bike course of my last race when off leash dog comes crashing through front yard and almost takes me out off my bike. Leash your dog.
2013-05-08 10:41 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal
So I haven't had a problem with an off-leash dog in longer than I can remember, at least a year, probably two, and on today's run I have two separate encounters with off-leash dogs that started coming after me from behind.  One was a stray and the other was because of some dumb dog owner who couldn't figure out that her dog was out-of-control.  Shortly after she screams at her dog as it started coming after me, I hear her screaming at her dog again as it went after the person that I passed going the opposite direction.  Some people are really special.

2013-05-09 8:12 AM
in reply to: #4727954

User image

Saint Paul, MN

lkct01234 - 2013-05-05 12:13 PM I have 2 dogs. One is part greyhound...they are never let off leash outside the house, with the exception of the off-leash dog park. They are not terrible dogs and off leash (at the dog park) they get along with the dogs and LOVe people. But...they are dogs and I do not trust them without having control over there movement. ESPECIALLY the part greyhound...he loves to run, and I'm not sure I'd get him back.

I have a greyhound rescue and he is almost never off the leash outside a fenced in area. The only time isn't on a leash is when the tailgate of my car is open because he just runs and jumps in there. He loves car rides and sprints from the gate to the car.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Trails, dogs, and leashes Rss Feed  

of 2