Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Trails, dogs, and leashes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

Trails, dogs, and leashes
OptionResults
Yes, Ethan. Your soul is pure and your frustration righteous.32 Votes - [80%]
Seriously, dude? Be glad it wasn't feral dogs looking for hands to eat.8 Votes - [20%]

2013-05-05 8:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Trails, dogs, and leashes

Behind Annapolis High School is Broad Creek Park, which has some awesome trails. They're maintained by one of the local running groups and taking the dog there to run and hike is my weekend joy. I love it.

Am I wrong to be really annoyed with the people who choose not to leash their dogs in this park? We have leash laws here, but speeding is illegal too. 

2013-05-05 9:36 AM
in reply to: #4727829

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Trails, dogs, and leashes
Is the law posted so those owners can see it? I know ignorance is no excuse, but if it's not patrolled, then who is going to say anything? Hopefully, another dog doesn't take off and comes after you, your dog, or someone else, otherwise LAWSUIT on the dog's owner.
2013-05-05 9:37 AM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
if there is a leash law then the dog belongs on a leash, period!  People that don't follow this really pizz me off!  We lived across the street from a park when the kids were small.  The park was plainly marked "Dogs Not Allowed".  Can't tell you how many times I had words with people that chose to ignore the sign and have their dog at the park, leashed or unleashed.  There are plenty of dog parks where a person can let there dog run free.  If you can't train your dog to walk/run on a leash, take your dog to one of these dog parks.
2013-05-05 9:42 AM

I run with my dog on the local trails (with posted leash rules) all of the time. I know that he is not going to attack anyone, so I let him off the leash. He's a sniffer, so that is about the worst he'll do. If he sees a dog he will run up to it and sniff like mad, but I can USUALLY call him away after I pass by. He looks mean, but is really a big teddy bear. I carry the leash so it appears as if I'm a responsible owner. 

I've actually had more of an issue with my neighbors. They are an uptight bunch who apparently don't like to be sniffed.

2013-05-05 10:08 AM
in reply to: #4727871

User image

skibummer - 2013-05-05 10:42 AM

I run with my dog on the local trails (with posted leash rules) all of the time. I know that he is not going to attack anyone, so I let him off the leash. He's a sniffer, so that is about the worst he'll do. If he sees a dog he will run up to it and sniff like mad, but I can USUALLY call him away after I pass by. He looks mean, but is really a big teddy bear. I carry the leash so it appears as if I'm a responsible owner. 

I've actually had more of an issue with my neighbors. They are an uptight bunch who apparently don't like to be sniffed.

Let me say, I LOVE dogs and am a multiple dog owner but I HATE when dog owners like yourself assume it's OK to allow your dog off the leash to "sniff" or whatever. I'm happily in the corner of the OP and your "uptight bunch" of neighbors who know it's my right not to be sniffed or bounded upon by your "mean" looking dog. Good grief skibummer. Make sure that instead of "USUALLY" being able to control your dog, you always control him by keeping him on the leash when you're in an area of posted leash rules. Instead of "appearing" responsible, actually BE responsible. Geesh....

2013-05-05 10:22 AM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal
It's odd, but the dogs that are more annoying to me are then ones on the other side of a fence that are wildly barking and snarling.  Usually the ones off leash are well-behaved and leave me alone.  There has been the occasional exception.  Some people are dicks, and they let out-of-control dogs off leash.

2013-05-05 12:13 PM

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA
I have 2 dogs. One is part greyhound...they are never let off leash outside the house, with the exception of the off-leash dog park. They are not terrible dogs and off leash (at the dog park) they get along with the dogs and LOVe people. But...they are dogs and I do not trust them without having control over there movement. ESPECIALLY the part greyhound...he loves to run, and I'm not sure I'd get him back. He'd just be a happy puppy out for a run and then I wouldn't be able to find him!!

To the OP - I COMPLETELY agree with you. I have actually posted before about this, because I have run into a few issue with going around my neighborhood and running into off-leashed dogs. (More times than I'd like to count.) There was one incident that has basically changed my dogs' behavior ever since. I started attaching the leashes to a water belt...so they were attached to me. This big white pit bull came up to them. (I don't really have prejudice against breeds, our littler one is part pit...) I got scared because I was attached to them and didn't know what I could do. (Even if I wasn't attached to them...do I let them go??) So my 2 guys could tell I was scared and they reacted. More barking and such then anything. Nothing happened and the owner came out and called the dog back. But ever since then, while out walking they always have a fit when we walk by another dog. (And usually they are leashed dogs...)

And to the other owner that has his/her dog under control, off-leash. That's nice that your dog is under control...how do you know mine is? Having a dog leashed is as much for their safety as others...
2013-05-05 2:47 PM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

I absolutely HATE when they have stupid signs about No Dogs allowed but your kids are allowed.  If your kids are allowed in our dog park, my dog (aka my kid) is allowed in every park.  And most times, not always, my dog is better behaved than the kids running around in the park.  I also park in the "Expectant Mothers or Mom with newborn" spots as well.  But I digress.

If I'm running with my dog in a multiuse trail, she's on leash mostly for her safety not the safety of others.  If we are in the woods on actual trails, she's usually off leash. 

I agree that my dog should not be sniffing anyone.  I don't know how you will react and the person shouldn't have to deal with that.  It's my dog.  Just like I don't appreciate it when a kid comes running up to me.  But I entertain it when it happens until the parent realized their kid is loose.  Same thing.

Note:  Most localities that have leash laws state that you must have control of your dog.  The word physical is usually not in there.  That means that a leash in NOT needed.  Voice control is acceptable.  It's that way in most parts of Atlanta.

2013-05-05 4:46 PM
in reply to: #4727866

User image

rayd - 2013-05-05 7:37 AM if there is a leash law then the dog belongs on a leash, period!  People that don't follow this really pizz me off!  We lived across the street from a park when the kids were small.  The park was plainly marked "Dogs Not Allowed".  Can't tell you how many times I had words with people that chose to ignore the sign and have their dog at the park, leashed or unleashed.  There are plenty of dog parks where a person can let there dog run free.  If you can't train your dog to walk/run on a leash, take your dog to one of these dog parks.

Completely agree.

2013-05-05 5:32 PM
in reply to: #4727871

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
skibummer - 2013-05-05 9:42 AM

While your dog off-leash may be the biggest Teddy Bear in the world, only wanting to make friends with other dogs, the ones on the leash may not be so friendly.  My mom's dog is a bit psycho.  Some dogs she is fine with, others she will go after in a not so friendly way.  Probably due to the fact that she was a rescue and probably had some bad experiences before getting adopted.

Your big teddy bear may be perceived as a threat to psycho dog and there would be a chance that it may not end well for either dog.

2013-05-05 5:59 PM
in reply to: #4728186

dodgersmom - 2013-05-05 6:32 PM
skibummer - 2013-05-05 9:42 AM

While your dog off-leash may be the biggest Teddy Bear in the world, only wanting to make friends with other dogs, the ones on the leash may not be so friendly.  My mom's dog is a bit psycho.  Some dogs she is fine with, others she will go after in a not so friendly way.  Probably due to the fact that she was a rescue and probably had some bad experiences before getting adopted.

Your big teddy bear may be perceived as a threat to psycho dog and there would be a chance that it may not end well for either dog.

I agree with you and the other poster above who quoted me. It took a while for me to realize this and is the main reason why I don't do it so much anymore in the popular areas.. I hate running with him on a leash, so I pick lesser used trails during low use time to bring him. It's not something I advocate, but in my area I can do it more often than not. I have him on the leash until we get 'deep' in the woods. 

2013-05-05 6:23 PM
in reply to: #4728051

User image

Bronze member
Marvarnett - 2013-05-05 2:47 PM

I absolutely HATE when they have stupid signs about No Dogs allowed but your kids are allowed.  If your kids are allowed in our dog park, my dog (aka my kid) is allowed in every park.  And most times, not always, my dog is better behaved than the kids running around in the park.  I also park in the "Expectant Mothers or Mom with newborn" spots as well.  But I digress.

If I'm running with my dog in a multiuse trail, she's on leash mostly for her safety not the safety of others.  If we are in the woods on actual trails, she's usually off leash

I agree that my dog should not be sniffing anyone.  I don't know how you will react and the person shouldn't have to deal with that.  It's my dog.  Just like I don't appreciate it when a kid comes running up to me.  But I entertain it when it happens until the parent realized their kid is loose.  Same thing.

Note:  Most localities that have leash laws state that you must have control of your dog.  The word physical is usually not in there.  That means that a leash in NOT needed.  Voice control is acceptable.  It's that way in most parts of Atlanta.

This is kind of what I do also. If I see a car in the parking lot when we pull up to the off road trail then I keep pup on the leash but honestly, I rarely ever see anyone on the trail. And my pup is afraid of strangers so he does not run up to anyone he hides behind me!

Actually one of the worst encounters I have ever had on a trail was just a couple of months ago on a multi use path and both dogs were on leash. My pup sniffed too close to a dog, the owner thought his dog would be o.k. with it but the dog was not and he put my pup down hard and would not let go. All the leashes got tangled up, it was a real mess and made it harder to get them apart. That is probably an exception though.

I really don't mind dogs coming up to me to say hello as long as their owners are very close by. But I am chased by unrestrained dogs when I am running or cycling all the time in town and I hate it which is why I go to the trails to begin with.

2013-05-05 7:10 PM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

The percentage of people that have control of their dog off of the leash is much smaller than the people who think they have control.

2013-05-05 7:42 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
If there is a leash law, please obey it.
If you have a retractable leash, reconsider having the leash completely unspooled.
Ignoring both of these is just being selfish with respect to other trail users and potentially unsafe for your dog.
I ride my mtb on a multi-use trail but generally during very low use times to avoid users who choose to ignore proper trail etiquette.
In the past couple of months I've had a few dogs that were off leash attempt to get aggressive with me. In each instance I'm sure the owner considered Fluffy to be well behaved. Fortunately for The dogs and their owners I know how to handle aggressive dogs and I am patient. With the slightest amount of courtesy these issues never arise.
2013-05-06 7:53 AM
in reply to: #4727887

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
bswcpa - 2013-05-05 11:08 AM
skibummer - 2013-05-05 10:42 AM

Let me say, I LOVE dogs and am a multiple dog owner but I HATE when dog owners like yourself assume it's OK to allow your dog off the leash to "sniff" or whatever. I'm happily in the corner of the OP and your "uptight bunch" of neighbors who know it's my right not to be sniffed or bounded upon by your "mean" looking dog. Good grief skibummer. Make sure that instead of "USUALLY" being able to control your dog, you always control him by keeping him on the leash when you're in an area of posted leash rules. Instead of "appearing" responsible, actually BE responsible. Geesh....

Here, here... well said Brenda.  I have nothing to add.

2013-05-06 9:43 AM
in reply to: #4728297

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Woodlands/Magnolia, TX.
Hook'em - 2013-05-05 7:10 PM

The percentage of people that have control of their dog off of the leash is much smaller than the people who think they have control.

agreed.  "my dog would never bite", "my dog always comes when i call it", "my dog loves everyone", "my dog just looks mean".......nothing makes me more mad than hearing people say this kind of crap to try and convince people that the rules don't apply to them.  spare me the BS.  the same type of people say the same things about their kids...."little johnny would never scratch anyone", "little jenny would never talk like that to an adult b/c we raised her better than that".  gag me with a spoon already. 

wake up and come over to the real world where responsible dog owners follow the rules. 

2013-05-06 9:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado

I agree with what others said, if there is a leash law then obey it.  Sure people say "My dog won't bite anyone" but runners and walkers on the trail don't know that.  Some people are afraid of dogs and will stop in their tracks until the owner gets the dog.

Last year a large German Shepard jumped on my hip wanting to play while I was running.  The dog put its claw into my hip and left a deep puncture wound.  I finished my run with blood dripping down my leg.  There were signs posted just before the dog jumped on me that all dogs must be on leashes so the owner could not say that she didn't know.

2013-05-06 10:08 AM

San Antonio

I have three dogs, one Airedale, one Welsh Terrier and one Bedlington. Outside of the Dog park, or fenced yard all three are on leash.  All three are CGC certified.  All are loud but not aggressive for those familiar with dogs. Those folks that are not familiar with dogs would definitely be scared of my 60lbs.  Airedale running up to them as he would have a tendency to do.  Even in the deepest of woods and least used of trails I have run into people and animals where I want absolute control of the dog for every ones safety.  

One uncontrolled encounter is too many....leash your dog(s).

2013-05-06 11:33 AM
in reply to: #4728297

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Hook'em - 2013-05-05 8:10 PM

Couldn't agree more with this.
2013-05-06 12:16 PM
in reply to: #4728051

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Marvarnett - 2013-05-05 3:47 PM

If I'm running with my dog in a multiuse trail, she's on leash mostly for her safety not the safety of others.  If we are in the woods on actual trails, she's usually off leash. 

Digression noted and followed: If you are being serious - please don't.  It is a lovely courtesy that is being extended ...  you don't have to agree but there is no need to be like that.  Now  that I am 8 months along and waddling wtih some pretty bad back pain i now understand the reason for the offering.  I've felt great until recently and I still haven't used one of those spaces but i am getting precariously close and it kills me a little considering last year at this time I was ironman training and feeling fantasically fit.  And I am in the middle of a relatively easy pregnancy considering what could happen.

As for the dogs - i am one to keep mine leashed where she is supposed to be - i'd rather be in control and sure of what is happening. I can see where some might feel it's okay - you know, early in the morning when no one else is around but for me. I would rather just follow the rules.  Plus, my dog likes to go in any body of water so if I let her go she's gonna go and try to swim ...

2013-05-06 12:38 PM
in reply to: #4729492

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC

If a dog so much as sniffs the ground without being allowed to by its handler/owner/master, or stops sniffing when commanded to, then the dog isn't under full control.

Every dog is capable of biting.  All it takes is enough stress.  Different dogs have different levels that will trigger a bite.

Dogs should be leashed without exception in mixed use areas if that is the law.

Dogs don't love, dogs don't have friends, dogs aren't children, dogs don't have human emotions.  Dogs are dogs.

Dogs seek pleasure and want to avoid pain. Dogs are constantly trying to figure out their rank in the hierarchy of the pack.  If you want a calm and content dog, make sure you are its alpha.

Different breeds of dogs come wired to perform certain tasks and behaviors more than others. Some are bred and wired primarily to fight, no matter how sweet they can seem.  

Other than that, dogs are the best animal companion there is.  It was hard to be without one for most of the last year until we got our new puppy last month.

Edited by dontracy 2013-05-06 12:40 PM

2013-05-06 12:41 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

It's called a leash LAW.  Not a leash 'Request'.  And on Federal Property voice 'control' is NOT an alternative. 

I have 3 dogs, too.  One of them is a pit bull.  I know she won't hurt anyone, KoKo (dog) knows she won't hurt anyone; but John/Jane Public justs sees a pit bull jogging towards them.

Keep your dogs on a leash.

2013-05-06 12:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for the validation, all. The woman whose four dogs wanted to follow us made me pretty mad, and I spent my favorite section of the trail seething about her instead of enjoying my favorite section of the trail (seriously, the trail is about 18 inches of flat cut into a hillside, with a steep drop into Broad Creek on one side and lots of exposed tree roots and elevation changes; super gnarly and tons of fun).

Most of those I run into with unleashed dogs do have a leash in hand and will quickly leash the dog when they see us. Those dogs are generally all friendly, too. When people tell me their unleashed dogs are friendly, I tell them I'm not.

Whenever we pass people and dogs on the trail, I pull Mihla off to the side and have her sit while people go by, but that's counterproductive with an unleashed dog. Can any of you think of any way to let people know it's not ok without coming off as a priggish nutjob?

2013-05-06 1:03 PM

User image

Master
Oceanside, California

When I see others with their dogs, I am more concerned with control than the leash.

Of course, lots of people think that they have more control than they really have.

2013-05-06 1:08 PM

Depends.  Have you been the victim of near fatal attacks at the jowls of an unleashed dog?  If not, you might be overreacting a bit.  Of course, I am a dog owner who runs with his golden retreiver off her leash.  I do make her wear a shock collar though (only when running off leash).  She hates it, but since she loves to lick kids in the face she has to wear it.  I do however keep a leash over my shoulder.  I use the beeper on the collar to call her back when we approach other dogs on the trail.  We don't have a leash rule though, so hopefully I am not upsetting any fellow trail users. So to politically answer your question: it depends.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Trails, dogs, and leashes Rss Feed  

of 2