General Discussion Race Reports! » OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Indianapolis, Indiana
United States
500 Festival
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 7h 30m
Overall Rank = 23709/30063
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 983/1558
Pre-race routine:

WARNING!!!! This is long and has lots of memories and stories in it.

I guess I should start back about 2 weeks ago when I let my personal life and frustrations get in the way of my training. I had only ran about 6 miles prior to this race within the last 2 weeks (and it showed).

Rode over to Indy with a couple of friends on Friday and picked up the granddaughter of one (she was running as well). Checked into the hotel and walked the 1/2 mile to the packet pick up. Wondered around downtown for a bit looking for some dinner. It was kinda fun to relay stories about various places as we passed them. SO many memories there.

Felt pretty melancholy that night as I was wishing Mike could be there. I still want him at my races, just like I was at all but one of his! His support and love is just an uplift.
Event warmup:

Not much of a warm-up. We stayed at a hotel that was just about 1/2 mile away from the start/finish so we considered that our warmup. Dropped off gear bags at the drop off (although we should have just passed on using them).
Run
  • 3h 01m 20s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 13m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

I ran this last year with minimal training and I was determined to perform better this time around. I had a cup of coffee, 8 ox of energy water and headed out (usual routine). By the time we got to our corrals the lines to the port-a-potties were long so I opted to not use them (this would come back to bite me later).

Stood in Corral V with some of my nearest and dearest friends that I had never met before. IT took us 25 minutes to cross the start line.

My plan was to walk the aid stations that were placed every 2 miles. The course is well-manned so I didn't carry any hydration with me--and this was a good decision. At the first water station (about mile 1.4) I had to go to the restroom so I jumped into line and lost 2 minutes. My plan was to walk for 1 minute at each station --every 2 miles-- and that is what I did. I felt good! My time for the 5K was a little disappointing but my 10K time was exactly where I wanted it to be in order to hit my finish goal time.

Part of this race early on goes by an old Western Electric plant and I look at it and remember how hard my dad worked when he was there to provide for his family. He never complained about what he was missing out on with his family because he knew he was doing what was right. He never complained about how hard he had to work to support my mom's spending and her financial disasters. He just did it. He never thought twice about leaving her (I have asked him about it a lot lately), his marriage vows said for better, for worse and he meant them! I LOVE MY DAD!

Last year I felt nostalgic coming into the Speedway but not weepy--and I thought I would since it was right after my grandpa died and this was one of the places that I have LOTS of memories with and of him. I didn't get weepy last year, but this year as we came up to the outside of it I felt very sad and lonely. As I ran through the tunnel to the track I started to cry. How many times had I come through this tunnel as part of a clown parade with Grandpa and my brother (who passed away 26 years ago)? So many memories came flooding back. Pulled myself together to not look like a weepy mess in the daylight when others could see. I felt like I could feel his presence with me the whole time. I spent some time "talking" to him and telling him how sorry I was for disappointing him about the mess my marriage was in. He really liked Mike and told me several times how lucky I was to have him and that I better hold onto him and not let go! Leaving Speedway was hard but I came out into some sunshine and accepted it as the gift that it was!

As I left Speedway I took my Gu. This is where I have been using it during other HM and training runs, but I'm wondering if I should and second one to the plan. My right knee was REALLY hurting when I left Speedway and I am left wondering if it is because of the slope of the track and the slight slope of the inside track. I became really worried that I messed it up. It finally quit hurting around mile 9.5, but I'm sure it affected me mentally.

I was doing ok and knew that I was getting close tot he end and that I might actually hit my secret goal when I felt like all my energy just left. MILE 11! This happened at my last HM too! Walked more than I had lanned or wanted to between miles 11 and 12.25. For some reason this is my wall! I just felt like I had nothing left in the tank. I pulled it together enough to run in but I felt like I was hardly moving.

I smiled at all of the photogs along the course and they were genuine smiles. I really did have a good race!
What would you do differently?:

Not taper for 2 weeks. Not let my life spin so far out of control that I can't pull it back in again.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around to meet up with friends. Missed out on the Chocolate milk and didn't have my DL on hand so I missed out on the free beer as well.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

A 2 week pathetic taper

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-11-30 12:00 AM
Running
03:01:20 | 13.1 miles | 13m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/1558
Overall: 0/30063
Performance: Average
5k: 41:29 11m: 2:30:19 brickyard: 1:42:01
Course: Mostly flat and around the area surrounding the Indy 500 Motor Speedway.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-05-05 9:52 AM

User image

Master
MidWest
Subject: OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini Marathon

2013-05-05 4:52 PM
in reply to: #4727880

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Subject: RE: OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini Marathon
Memories, even if they make us cry, are special. You did a great job on this race considering all that's going on for you. Keep your head up. Besides, how can you not laugh at the back of the hotdog truck???
2013-05-08 8:44 PM
in reply to: #4727880

User image

Expert
Illinois
Subject: RE: OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini Marathon
Aww, great job. Reading your report made me a little nostalgic and emotional too.  I hope you enjoyed the race, the Indy Mini is so much fun.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini Marathon Rss Feed