BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Suz and Steph's Sprint, Oly and First Tri group! OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2013-05-05 2:05 PM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Subject: Suz and Steph's Sprint, Oly and First Tri group! OPEN
GROUP FOCUS: Shorter Course (sprint and oly, plus how to eat while training and racing

NAME: StephSprint

STORY: I'm a 49 y/o age grouper who has been trying for 3 years. I love all 3 sports, though I also have done a duathlon.

FAMILY STATUS: Married to a marathoner.

CURRENT TRAINING: I recently moved from Miami to Atlanta and had to give up on two triathons. Training in this area is very hilly! Getting stronger.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: My next scheduled tri is in November, but I hope to add a couple of local races this summer.

2013 RACES: Nov 10th, Miami Man International. Currently concentrating on swimming and running with strength/flexibility mixed in.

WEIGHTLOSS: I've lost 20lbs doing this! I hope to be another 20lbs down, and at my goal weight by November. Eat smart!!!

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I was a long term beginner, due to injuries, so I know how to get you going, but not let you hurt yourself in the process. This is so fun, you'll soon be hooked!

My travel schedule is ramping up this summer so I'll have lots of time in the hotel to check in, and talk about training and eating ON THE ROAD.

2013-05-10 7:21 PM
in reply to: #4728022

User image

Subject: RE: Suz and Steph's Sprint, Oly and First Tri group! OPEN

Hi Coach Steph!

I missed the winter mentor session but followed along with your group (as any good stalker would do Wink). Congrats on your move.

Looking forward to my 2nd tri season.  My first race is the 19th, and I'm in for 2 olympics this summer (gulp!). I'll put my bio/info in later tonight. 

Happy Friday!

Terri

2013-05-10 9:07 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area

I'm the Suz in the "Suz and Steph"

NAME: Suzimmer (Susie)

STORY: I'm 51 and have been a runner for years. I decided to do my first sprint tri in 2005. I crossed the finish and never looked back. Since that time I have done every distance, including Ironman Wisconsin twice.  This past year I have been concentrating on my running and was at Boston this year.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 27 years and have two sons. One has graduated college and mom is proud to report he is employed in the field he majored in and officially launched. My younger son is finishing his junior year in college.  I also have two furry babies, my dogs, a Coon Hound/Lab mix and a Jack Russell Terrier.

CURRENT TRAINING: My training has been run focused this year. I am now concentrating on healing some injuries, so yoga, swimming, strengthening.

2013 RACES: So far this year I have run the Rock and Roll New Orleans half marathon at the end of February, Boston, and on May 4, The Indi Mini half marathon.  I have nothing new on the calendar yet. Need to heal. 

NUTRITION and HEALTH:  I have Crohn's disease and food allergies, so I am very attuned to nutrition and clean eating. 

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR:  I'm certainly not an expert by any means, but I do have a lot of experience. I love the active lifestyle that triathlon training promotes. I also love to encourage someone who wants to either get off the couch and get moving, or who is already active, but wants a new challenge. 

Looking forward to meeting some new tri friends and reconnecting with some returning ones.

2013-05-11 6:50 AM

User image

Yardville, NJ
Suz and Steph,I'd love to be back, if you'll have me
2013-05-11 6:59 AM

User image

Regular
Albury, Australia

Well it is off season here, but i will need that long to get into any sort of shape! If you will take an Aussie, I am in.

42, married with a five year old (her birthday today). Chiropractor, self employed, overworked and not enough time! About 40 lbs overweight.

I have tried to try before, but this is my year. I have been doing crossfit 2 or 3 times a week, but have not lost the weight or gotten the endurance I want (but man I am strong!). I am all in this time, even if it is only for a sprint. You see, I used to be very fit. National level water polo player, but the last decade or see had me loose control of my weight and body, but having a super active 5 year old is changing that.

So i need help and support, and I can not wait to change my health (and have a blast along the way).

2013-05-11 10:01 PM
in reply to: #4737286

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
awk1987 - 2013-05-10 8:21 PM

Hi Coach Steph!

I missed the winter mentor session but followed along with your group (as any good stalker would do Wink). Congrats on your move.

Looking forward to my 2nd tri season.  My first race is the 19th, and I'm in for 2 olympics this summer (gulp!). I'll put my bio/info in later tonight. 

Happy Friday!

Terri

Terri so glad you are back!

2013-05-11 10:03 PM
in reply to: #4737594

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
alburyscott - 2013-05-11 7:59 AM

Well it is off season here, but i will need that long to get into any sort of shape! If you will take an Aussie, I am in.

42, married with a five year old (her birthday today). Chiropractor, self employed, overworked and not enough time! About 40 lbs overweight.

I have tried to try before, but this is my year. I have been doing crossfit 2 or 3 times a week, but have not lost the weight or gotten the endurance I want (but man I am strong!). I am all in this time, even if it is only for a sprint. You see, I used to be very fit. National level water polo player, but the last decade or see had me loose control of my weight and body, but having a super active 5 year old is changing that.

So i need help and support, and I can not wait to change my health (and have a blast along the way).

Yes! I happen to adore the Aussies! All of you are sportsmen and women. Love to have as we help each other.
2013-05-11 10:04 PM
in reply to: #4737587

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Mfechter67 - 2013-05-11 7:50 AM

Suz and Steph,I'd love to be back, if you'll have me

Of COURSE thanks Mike!
2013-05-11 10:05 PM
in reply to: #4737371

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
suzimmer - 2013-05-10 10:07 PM

I'm the Suz in the "Suz and Steph"

NAME: Suzimmer (Susie)

STORY: I'm 51 and have been a runner for years. I decided to do my first sprint tri in 2005. I crossed the finish and never looked back. Since that time I have done every distance, including Ironman Wisconsin twice.  This past year I have been concentrating on my running and was at Boston this year.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 27 years and have two sons. One has graduated college and mom is proud to report he is employed in the field he majored in and officially launched. My younger son is finishing his junior year in college.  I also have two furry babies, my dogs, a Coon Hound/Lab mix and a Jack Russell Terrier.

CURRENT TRAINING: My training has been run focused this year. I am now concentrating on healing some injuries, so yoga, swimming, strengthening.

2013 RACES: So far this year I have run the Rock and Roll New Orleans half marathon at the end of February, Boston, and on May 4, The Indi Mini half marathon.  I have nothing new on the calendar yet. Need to heal. 

NUTRITION and HEALTH:  I have Crohn's disease and food allergies, so I am very attuned to nutrition and clean eating. 

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR:  I'm certainly not an expert by any means, but I do have a lot of experience. I love the active lifestyle that triathlon training promotes. I also love to encourage someone who wants to either get off the couch and get moving, or who is already active, but wants a new challenge. 

Looking forward to meeting some new tri friends and reconnecting with some returning ones.

Thanks partner!
2013-05-12 8:17 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
Welcome back Terri and Mike! And Welcome to our new member from Australia, a place I would someday love to visit.
2013-05-12 8:25 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
May 12 in good old Chicago land and the current temp is....43! Not the weather I ordered. Where's my refund. So, I am currently on the trainer. UG. Had hoped for a nice Mother's Day ride. Oh well. The lesson for today is, Make the most of what you've got. Could have bailed on the day's training but will get it done on the trainer, Not my favorite. One thing I've learned is that you will never regret the workout you did. You may, however, regret the one you didn't do.

2013-05-12 8:27 AM
in reply to: #4738260

User image

Updated Bio:

NAME: Terri

STORY: 44yo, swam competitively through high school. Learned to run (albeit slowly) 3 years ago using Couch to 5k. Completed two 1/2 marathons, three 10ks, four 8ks & one 5k so far.  Last year was my first season of triathlon and I completed 5 sprints.  My struggle has always been to maintain consistent exercise and balanced nutrition through the summer months. Participation in multi-sport has helped with new challenges and goals, and since the spring season seems to be on vacation here in Chicago, it should make for an interesting tri season.  

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 2 boys 24 & 21.

CURRENT TRAINING: 6 days per week (usually) - I joined a local tri group last summer (mostly women) which meets 1x per week, but I do most of my training on my own.

THIS YEAR'S RACES:  Chicago Shamrock Shuffle 10k 4/7/13 - knocked 2 full minutes per mile off my time from last year!  Upcoming Tris:   Tower Y Indoor/Outdoor Sprint next weekend (pool swim); Esprit de She Naperville sprint  6/9/13, Pleasant Prairie Olympic (yikes!) 6/23/13; Wauconda Olympic (double yikes!!) 7/28/13, & probably Iron Girl sprint on 8/11/12. Maybe TriRock Lake Geneva again in September - sprint? olympic? too soon to tell.  

LAST YEAR's RACES: Chicago Shamrock Shuffle 8k, Chicago Home Team Charity Run 10k, Tower Y Sprint Tri, SheRox Naperville Sprint Tri, Wauconda Sprint Tri, Danskin Sprint Tri, TriRock Lake Geneva Sprint Tri, Long Grove Turkey Trot 8k.

RACES: 2011 & 2012:  Chicago Shamrock Shuffle 8k; 2010:  Olathe, KS 5k; Wisconsin 1/2 Marathon; Kenosha 10k, Bear Necessities 10k, RNR Denver 1/2 Marathon.

WEIGHTLOSS: This time last year I was down 20lbs and ideally hoped to lose another 20.  I ended up losing another 30 by the time the holidays rolled around.

Wishing everyone luck with their race goals!!

2013-05-12 8:33 AM
in reply to: #4738492

User image

suzimmer - 2013-05-12 8:25 AM May 12 in good old Chicago land and the current temp is....43! Not the weather I ordered. Where's my refund. So, I am currently on the trainer. UG. Had hoped for a nice Mother's Day ride. Oh well. The lesson for today is, Make the most of what you've got. Could have bailed on the day's training but will get it done on the trainer, Not my favorite. One thing I've learned is that you will never regret the workout you did. You may, however, regret the one you didn't do.

HA!

Hi Suz!

Happy Mother's Day!  Funny you should mention the balmy 40 degree gusty weather we're having today - our cycling group met for our first outdoor ride this morning to set up pace groups! I was woefully underdressed and had frozen fingers and toes by the time the 10 miles were up.

But it's done, and as you said, I have no regrets.  The scones and cinnamon rolls I have my eyes on this morning, however, may cause a few though! 

Have a great day!

Terri

2013-05-12 8:54 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
Terri you rock! You are much braver than I. Good for you getting out there on your bike despite the cold. At least the sun is shinning.Enjoy the rest of your day. Happy Mother!s Day! And you earned those scones!!!
2013-05-12 11:33 AM

User image

Yardville, NJ
Happy Mother's Day to all the moms in the group!
2013-05-12 11:41 AM

User image

Yardville, NJ
I have a training question... I've been back in the pool since October. My swim training has been going great. My wife and I swim 3 days a week. I have increased my endurance that I can do 2K straight without issue. Some training days I'm doing 3K+ in total distance. I also have done lake swims before albeit the last one was 2008. I grew up swimming in lakes and rivers and never had any fear. Now here's my issue... We did an OWS at a local lake with a tri group on Friday night. Water temp was 68ish, my first swim in a wetsuit and water was murky. I hit the water and freaked. I did get my breathing under control and relaxed a bit. I swam a quarter mile, but couldn't keep my head in the water. Any tips or advice? We have more OWS opportunities before my race on June 22nd.

2013-05-12 2:09 PM
in reply to: #4738652

User image

Mfechter67 - 2013-05-12 11:41 AM I have a training question... I've been back in the pool since October. My swim training has been going great. My wife and I swim 3 days a week. I have increased my endurance that I can do 2K straight without issue. Some training days I'm doing 3K+ in total distance. I also have done lake swims before albeit the last one was 2008. I grew up swimming in lakes and rivers and never had any fear. Now here's my issue... We did an OWS at a local lake with a tri group on Friday night. Water temp was 68ish, my first swim in a wetsuit and water was murky. I hit the water and freaked. I did get my breathing under control and relaxed a bit. I swam a quarter mile, but couldn't keep my head in the water. Any tips or advice? We have more OWS opportunities before my race on June 22nd.

Hi Mike,

Congrats on the swim progress! I'm not sure if I have tips or advice, but I did have the exact same type of experience last summer for my first wetsuit OWS.  I have been a swimmer my whole life, and have swum in the same lake all these years - but never with goggles and my face in the water! I did a short out and back and hardly breathed the whole time.  I was shocked that I reacted that way, but I kept at it and got much more comfortable in unclear water after just a few practice swims. 

Not very helpful (I'll let our experts take the wheel on giving advice Wink), but I wanted you to know you're not alone!

Happy training!

Terri

2013-05-12 4:55 PM
in reply to: #4738753

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
Many people have the same reaction during their first, second, third.....OWS. A wet suit is very restricting, that combined with cold water (68 is cold to me) can have the effect of feeling like you a unable to breath, which creates panic, which exacerbates the problem. The best thing you can do is practice, practice, practice. The more experience you have getting used to the feeling of the wetsuit, the better. Also, on race day you put all that together with the adrenalin rush of starting a race. Combination for disaster. Trust me....I am the queen of the OWS freak out. On race day, make a point to start out a bit slower. People have a tendency to start out too fast and then can't catch their breath and so the cycle begins. Once you get a rhythm and are feeling comfortable, speed up. You will not lose too much time, and will actually lose more time if you have to stop and get your composure back.
2013-05-12 7:49 PM

User image

Yardville, NJ
Terri and Suz - thanks for the tips and support. Sometimes it helps to know you're not the only one. I'll keep at it and I won't let it keep me from training and racing.
2013-05-12 8:18 PM

New user

Perth, Western Australia

Hi, I am a 49 year old, mother of two from Perth Western Australia.  I have done a few short distance, enticer triathlons and want to do sprint distance next season.  As the other Aussie in this group mentioned, it is the off-season here now and I want to build a good base for next summer.

I would love to join your group too, if you will have me.  Linda

2013-05-13 5:17 AM

hi I am looking for a mentor and hoped that you could help

details 

I am 39.  

my first triathlon is in 7 days (sprint - lutterworth england)

I was very postive up to yesterday when I drove around the cycle route (it was windy and raining - so I decided cycling was not the best).  

I am average fitness (but way below triathlon levels)

I have played rugby for 20 years.  I am 13st / 5ft 10.  I have a lot of muscle mass on my upper body (not particularly useful!!).  my body fat is 18%.  

my target times are 

400m swim 7 minutes

20km bike 45 minutes

5km run 25 minutes. 

my weaknesses are 

1) my size - I need to lose weight / size - I am reducing my strength training (I have started cross fit and removed weight specific sessions)

2) my bike handling skills - I will pedal all day, but I am going to lose time / effort braking on bends.

I need some help in the last week in terms of

taper (what should I be doing

diet (this week, the day before and on the day)

many thanks for taking the time to read this

Lee

2013-05-13 8:58 AM

New user

Denver, Colorado

Hi Suz and Steph, I would love to join your group if it works with you! I am 51 and live near Denver, Colorado. In the recent past I have been an avid biker. I swam in High School and ran in College. Now, I find myself at a mid-life crossroads!! Physical activity has only included a lot of walking (20-30 miles/week) over the past year. I have recently retired from my profession of 25 years due to a close-up, fine vision issue (it does not affect my daily activity or eye sight). I have always been involved in nutrition in some aspect of my life, and recently have become a certified natural foods chef. Since becoming a Vegan, I have shed 40 pounds and am now ready to lose the remaining 30 with continued clean eating and exercise.

Your bios seem like a great fit for me, with your insight into nutrition and training. (I am a fan of Brendan Brazier and his Thrive program.) I have signed up for my first Sprint Tri  on September 22nd and have started training per some information I have read from Joe Friel in Your First Triathlon. I look forward to an amazing journey and hopefully gaining insight from you and your group.

2013-05-13 10:50 PM
in reply to: #4739555

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
tlander - 2013-05-13 9:58 AM

Hi Suz and Steph, I would love to join your group if it works with you! I am 51 and live near Denver, Colorado. In the recent past I have been an avid biker. I swam in High School and ran in College. Now, I find myself at a mid-life crossroads!! Physical activity has only included a lot of walking (20-30 miles/week) over the past year. I have recently retired from my profession of 25 years due to a close-up, fine vision issue (it does not affect my daily activity or eye sight). I have always been involved in nutrition in some aspect of my life, and recently have become a certified natural foods chef. Since becoming a Vegan, I have shed 40 pounds and am now ready to lose the remaining 30 with continued clean eating and exercise.

Your bios seem like a great fit for me, with your insight into nutrition and training. (I am a fan of Brendan Brazier and his Thrive program.) I have signed up for my first Sprint Tri  on September 22nd and have started training per some information I have read from Joe Friel in Your First Triathlon. I look forward to an amazing journey and hopefully gaining insight from you and your group.

Wow, September! very exciting... sounds like you've taken your health into your own hands already! What kid of questions do you have? We are here to give our best answers! What was the toughest part about being a Vegan? For my Vegan friends it's eating out. And for a couple of male friends it's protein that satisfies.
2013-05-14 11:01 AM

User image

Hi, any chance of fitting me in!!

NAME: Andrew or And (Runcorn, Cheshire, UK)

STORY: 43 years old, being trying to get back into training for the last 18 months with new success. Began Triathlon in 2009 after an illness, lost 20lbs in the process. Health problems last year combined with stress at work (six weeks off) meant training last year and racing was on the back burner. Back at work now, new role, different challenges (see below), so determined to get back into it. Only planning once race this summer in September but going for a PB!

FAMILY STATUS: Married no children, one live in Father-in-law 86 with mild dementia

CURRENT TRAINING: None! Starting the Couch to Sprint Silver programme (again!), exercise has been prescribed as a stress relief. Can train at least 6 times a week. Also training with my wife for a 5km. Play Tennis twice a week and also Curl in the winter (Wales Performance Squad)

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Nantwich Triathlon, September 8th. Aim to break 1:30 PB is 1:35

LAST YEAR'S RACES: Nantwich Triathlon, June (Swim 500m 12:32, Bike 20km 53:01, Run 5km 34:38) 1:40:11

WEIGHTLOSS: Want to lose the 20lbs that I have but back on plus 20lbs more. Currently

WHAT DO I WHAT FROM A MENTOR GROUP: Encouragement, advice, laughter and friends! Oh to break that PB!
2013-05-15 8:30 PM

User image

New user

Hello Coaches Suz and Steph! I would love to join your group! I am 41 year old female, married with 3 kids (2 are adults now) and 2 labs. I have been a runner since 6/11 and have done 5K's, 10k's and half-marathons. I am doing my first sprint tri this July and in the middle of ramping up my training. It's been a COLD and wet spring here in Wisconsin so biking outside has been tough Hopfully weather is turning around soon!!! .
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Suz and Steph's Sprint, Oly and First Tri group! OPEN Rss Feed  

of 9