United States
61F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = NA/400
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Arrived at the race site about 90 minutes before the start. Said hi to a couple friends, set up transition, walked around to get warm, used the yellow closet, etc. Put on my wetsuit about 20 minutes before the start after the newbie briefing. Got in the lake and swam a bit to loosen up my shoulders.
Event warmup:

Walking, light swimming
Swim
  • 00m
  • 1000 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

DNF'ed the swim. Waited for my wave to start, let them get about a minute ahead, and went out behind them. Kept running into some guy who was struggling, got way off course in the first 100 yards, tried to correct, hit the same guy again, tried again to correct, and by this point lost my rhythm and motivation to swim. Rolled over on my back to try to rest when a race official offered to pull me in via YOLO board. Thought about it a second, knew I was doing this race strictly for experience, and said "F it" and let him pull me in.
What would you do differently?:

Be better prepared. I knew this was a strong possibility, so it wasn't some major disappointment. I will be ready for my next race at the end of the month though, but that swim is only 400 meters.
Transition 1
  • 19m 55s
Comments:

Since I bailed on the swim, I took a leisurely time in my transition. The timing official said to just wait for my swim wave to go out on their bikes before I go out on mine, so I geared up for my ride and patiently waited until about half of my swim wave was out of the water.

Easiest. Transition. Ever.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 1h 00m 37s
  • 18 miles
  • 17.82 mile/hr
Comments:

Wasn't prepared for the hills, though in all reality they weren't that bad. Had a great tailwind on the second half of the out portion which was also a net elevation drop, so I was flying through that part. 24-26 MPH was easy. Turned around, headed back up the hills, and had some nasty headwinds. Felt strong coming back, but not comfortable on the bike. I debated using my road bike because I knew this area was hilly, but decided against it. Probably wouldn't have been a bad idea. Though I don't know that I could have held the pace I did early without the aero advantage. Uphills+Headwinds=Not much time in aero. Shut down the last 3/4ths of a mile to loosen my legs up for the run. Dismounted too early and almost dropped the bike when my wife yelled to me. Duh.

Spend more time in aero, push harder through the tougher sections, not dismount 500 feet before the dismount line like a dork.
Transition 2
  • 02m
Comments:

Almost dropped the bike running to transition. That was smooth. Racked the bike easily, removed helmet, put on socks and shoes, tied shoes, took a big swig of water, ran out.

Ride to dismount, get feet out of shoes before dismounting the bike, ignore the wife.
Run
  • 32m 27s
  • 4 miles
  • 08m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt strong off the bike, as I expected. Wasn't completely prepared for the hills, but they weren't an issue. I'm not used to running without knowing my pace, so I didn't go out aggressively enough. Probably left 3-4 minutes on the course, but because of the swim DNF, I'm not beating myself up over it.

Consider getting a Garmin so I can see pace/splits while I run so I'm more aware of how my pace is and if I need to push harder.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit, drank some water, drank a beer, ate some red beans, walked some more, talked to some friends.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My inability to swim. :)

Event comments:

Fun race, great location and course, friendly volunteers and competitors. Good way to spend a Sunday morning.

Last updated: 2013-04-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 1000 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/400
Performance: Bad
Suit: Wetsuit
Course: Out/back
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Good Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 19:55
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:00:37 | 18 miles | 17.82 mile/hr
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Out and back on some hillier than average (for S. La.) roads. 7.5 of the 9 miles was newly surfaced, so the surface was great.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:32:27 | 04 miles | 08m 07s  min/mile
Course: Simple out/back, kind of hilly, no shade cover.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes