General Discussion Race Reports! » Kansas City Corporate Challenge 5K Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Kansas City Corporate Challenge 5K - Run5k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Kansas City, Missouri
United States
Kansas City Corporate Challenge
36F / 2C
Overcast
Total Time = 20m 48s
Overall Rank = 162/2397
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 10/152
Pre-race routine:

Up at oh five thirty, quick shower to wake up, spent a few deciding on shoes. Was gifted a new pair of Saucony Guide 6's by my friend Dale but they were X-Wides. They felt a little loose so I swapped inserts from my Asics which made them more snug. But when I tried them on a 5 mile run they didn't feel right, I could sort of feel some of that PF pain that I've been recovering from. So for the 5K I put the original inserts in and just tied them nice and tight. Nothing new on race day right....
Event warmup:

This is my companies Corporate Challenge 5K so being Company Coordinator I had some race bibs and timing chips to hand out that morning as well as a few T-shirts. Race start was 7:30 so I got there at 7:00. It was 35 degrees, last years race it was at least 65 at race start. I was wearing sweat pants and a running jacket as I walked over the the race start area just to stay warm. My goal was to wear just shorts and a compression top plus company T-shirt on top. Most people had long running tights, longs sleeve tops/jackets, hats, gloves etc. My plan was to wear gloves but I ultimately left them in the car, D'oh!

I got everyone their stuff then took the jog back to the car as my warmup, maybe 3/4 mile round trip.
Run
  • 20m 48s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

I lined up between the 6:30 and 7:00 pace groups. It's mainly an out& back course north/south but the start goes south first, away from the finish line then turns left twice which gets us in the north direction. The race is on Ward Parkway which is separated by a median so the two left turns gets us going north.

With such a fast start it was touchy running those first two left turns with so many people side by side. Once we got northbound it was much easier, especially on a nice wide road. The road was still wet from rain the night before and I could hear peoples shoes squeak on the slick tar lines that filled the cracks in the road. I tried not to run on those areas as I didn't want to slip and fall.

I have done no speed work and have only been running 2-3 times a week so I had no idea how fast I could go. This was the fastest 5K course I had been on in a couple of years so this is the one to PR on. I needed to be at the turnaround by the 11:30 mark to PR and by 11:00 if I thought I could go sub 20. The first climb starts at about 3/4 mile into is about 3/4 of a mile long. The average grade is about 2.4% so it's not that steep but it is 3/4 of mile long. The good news is coming home that's down hill. After mile 1.5 there's some downhill then the turnaround then a little uphill until you get to that long section of downhill. So so last 1.1 miles has no hills whatsoever so this is the time to gun it.

I was just trying to hold a good pace up to the turnaround to where my thought was that I'd try and shift to another gear. I was starting to become gassed at the turnaround but remembered that a 5K is "supposed" to hurt per all that crap I heard on BT! So I sucked it up and began the hurting process. I ran down the hill as fast as I could and could finally see the finish line ahead but it was still 1/2 mile away!

The last 1.5 miles of this course was exactly the same course I ran a half marathon some 3 week ago. My last mile of that half was around 7:08 pace for which I felt I was flying pretty fast. I was running faster than that here, just didn't know by how much.

Per Strava I ended up with the following splits:

Mile 1: 6:29
Mile 2: 6:53
Mile 3: 6:13

Strava had my run at 3.2 miles but not sure how much walking that included after I crossed the finish line plus it took a few moments for me to stop the run. I'm pretty happy with the results given I haven't done any speedwork that goes below 6 minute mile pace. I think a few months back I did a little bit of treadmill work where I went down to 6:00 to 6:30 pace for 1/2 a mile at a time but once or twice over 5 months time doesn't account for speedwork in my mind.
What would you do differently?:

I think I executed the race as best I could. If I had gone harder on the way out, I may not have had anything left for that last 1/2 mile.
Post race
Warm down:

Ran into my co-worked John who ran a 20:10. A good run but he didn't feel he was at his best. I agree, I think he ran faster than that last year on a much hillier course. Still a great time in my books. Waited around in the freezing cold for my other co-workers as I wanted for us to have a group picture. I think we had 11 runners that day, one more than last year. Walked over and got a few Race Rolls but opted out of the chocolate milk as I was too cold to hold something that had been on ice.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Two things, lack of running volume and lack of speed work. Probably lack of volume the most. 2-3 runs a week not enough to expect a sub 20 5K at the age of 46.

Event comments:

The Kansas City Corporate Challenge crew does a great job with their events. The KC Running Company is also a great help and provided excellent timing services, race results were online already when I checked in the early afternoon.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-05-03 12:00 AM
Running
00:20:48 | 03.1 miles | 06m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/152
Overall: 162/2397
Performance: Good
Course: Out & Back with a climb near the turnaround.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-05-05 8:31 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Subject: Kansas City Corporate Challenge 5K

2013-05-06 7:21 AM
in reply to: #4728400

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Kansas City Corporate Challenge 5K
Reece, great job! You continue to impress with those times of yours. I hope the PF has been OK for you and that you can get back to more training.
2013-05-06 7:29 AM

User image

Master
Orlando
Wow, no speed work and limited running and you still threw down a super fast time, congratulations!
2013-05-06 8:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
I've kinda dismissed doing the KCCC 5k because I just assumed it was going to be out at SM Park again, but having out on Ward Parkway is interesting. Kudos to you for getting everyone organized and standing around in the cold morning temps.
2013-05-06 9:05 AM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS

Thanks Chris, Melanie, I'm just glad I've still got SOME speed as I'm getting closer to Tri season.  My AG is pretty stacked in this area so I'm hoping to be a little more competitive.

Hey Mike, does your company do Corporate Challenge?  Dude, you would have rocked this course.  I'll bet the last 3.1 miles of your RTP half were as fast as my 5K if not faster!  Hopefully it will be the same course next year.

2013-05-06 10:30 AM

User image

Pennsylvania
Reece, you are a speedy, speedy boy!!  Wow, great race and great finish, congrats!!

2013-05-08 12:23 AM

User image

Seattle
Go speed Reecer gooooooooo! Nice work! I'm impressed but not surprised!
2013-05-08 10:02 AM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Thanks Melanie and Adrienne!  I've got to figure out how to go sub 20....I know the answer, more running.  Maybe after Tri season my PF will be much better and I can squeeze in some more runs and target quality workouts instead of just running.  I'm pretty sure intervals, laps around a track etc. would be part of a good formula.
2013-05-08 1:42 PM

User image

Seattle
I'm thinking avoiding injury is at the top of your list right now and with that in mind, just building your frequency and volume for now will totally get you under 20. You DO need to leave the ego at the door though and not worry about the intensity and keep a sharp eye on how your body is doing. 
2013-05-08 3:59 PM
in reply to: #4733487

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS

Asalzwed - 2013-05-08 1:42 PM I'm thinking avoiding injury is at the top of your list right now and with that in mind, just building your frequency and volume for now will totally get you under 20. You DO need to leave the ego at the door though and not worry about the intensity and keep a sharp eye on how your body is doing. 

Great advice.  I need more EZ PZ runs for sure.  My son (16) wants to start running, there's my IN!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kansas City Corporate Challenge 5K Rss Feed