United States
MultiRace
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 02m 8s
Overall Rank = 34/280
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 7/21
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4.30 am, had breakfast, and mount the bike on the rack. I prepared everything else the day before.

Breakfast:
- 60 grams of Mini Bites Frosted Kellogg's
- 40 grams Corn Flakes
- 2 tbsp. Nesquik
- 400 ml fat free milk
- 1 toast

I left home at 5.08 am and to the transition area around 5.30 am. Luckily, my bike rack was almost empty and I was able to leave my bike on the edge. The negative part is that my bike rack was at the opposite end of the bike out/in, which will make me cover a longer distance with my bike in transition.
Event warmup:

Mostly chatting with my parents, explaining them how the race works and where do they need to be at each time. This was the first time they come see me racing.

Focusing on sports related stuff, I did stretch the upper body more than the lower body. I also swam 100 yards swim, if that. After the swim I was pretty cold though.
Swim
  • 10m 2s
  • 437 yards
  • 02m 17s / 100 yards
Comments:

I felt pretty good at the beginning starting strong to avoid the crowd at the first bouy, but I paid the effort later.

I felt good during the first 100 yards, the second 100 yards I wanted to still go strong, but I had to relax my pace to not leave everything on the swim. Therefore, I adjusted and I swam at a comfortable pace the from yard 100 to yard 100 to finish strong.

At the end, I finished 10 out of 21 in my age group, which means I was able to meet my goal (very happy about it!!). In addition to it, I was only 22 seconds behind the 7 place in my age group, which gives me a lot of hope for future races and to keep improving this part of the race. I never finished that high in the swim.
What would you do differently?:

I got annoyed at another swimmer, because every time I passed him I started to hit my feet, increased his speed, and swam towards me until he hit me (it happened 3 times). He really got in my head and I was pissed at him. I was a better swimmer than him, but I was on my comfortable pace all the time, while he was trying to catch me and sink me when I passed him. I should have sprinted for a few yards until I was out of his reach and then start swimming at a comfortable pace again.

Other than this minor issue, I was happy with my swim. I need to keep working on my speed and endurance. I am able to swim at 1:40-1:50 in the pool, I would like to translate those times to OWS for a given distance, especially .25 miles.
Transition 1
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

I am very happy with my T1 result. Swim out was very close to the transition area, therefore it was important to execute well, since there was not enough distance to outrun people.

I didn't wear a wetsuit, therefore I only had to put my helmet, gloves, and sunglasses. I did a fly mount to be able to run more easily through the transition area, since my bike was at the other end of the bike out/in.

My rank was:

- Age Group: 4/21
- Overall: 25/280

Even though I am very happy with my result, I would like to improve the following two points in future races:

1. Gloves: For some reason, in all races I have issues putting my gloves on. I am not sure if it is because my hands are wet coming out of the swim or because I am doing something wrong. But I am going to practice this as well as I will try to find a different way to put them on.

2. Set Up: Right not I leave my helmet on the ground with my gloves and sunglasses inside. I am going to try to do the same, but I will place the helmet on my aerobars, rather than in the ground. I won't have to bent down to grab things and I will have easier access to my equipment.
Bike
  • 27m 16s
  • 10 miles
  • 22.00 mile/hr
Comments:

My goal was to finish FOP, since the bike leg is usually my strongest part of the race. I usually finish MOP, but I never felt like pushing hard enough due to being afraid of bonking on during the run. I have been training my run heavily this past month, so I was ready to push it harder for once and see how I feel.

I ended up not pushing as hard as I could, especially in the first lap when I was getting a feel of the course. I went a lot faster on the second lap (2 MPH) and I felt like I could have sustained the same effort for the two laps.

Also, although I did my turns pretty well (I passed people or I got closer to them during the turn), I was a little conservative when there was traffic.

Finally, my first quarter miles was slower than usual since I took advantage to hydrate myself and to take a gel. It was a good strategy, since I was able to sustain a high effort during the rest of the race.

Main goal was accomplished (FOP):
- Age Group: 6/21
- Overall: 53/280

I need to stop being afraid of the run and push harder on the bike. Eventually, I will bonk on the run during one of my races, but until I don't find this limit, I am always going to be racing with the break on.
Transition 2
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

I did a fly dismount to be able to run easier since my bike rack was far away from the bike in/out. It totally paid out as I advance a couple of guys that were running with their bike shoes on.

I didn't have many problems taking out my equipment nor putting my running shoes on (first time I used elastic laces, what an amazing product!!!). However, I was so thrilled about them that I forgot to grab my bib number... I had to run back for it, although it did not affect my T2 time since when they told me about it I was 30 yards out of the run out.

My ranking was:
- Age Group: 5/21
- Overall: 46/280

It will be awesome if I grab my bib number next time...
Run
  • 22m 58s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

My main goal was to run 3.1 miles under 24 minutes (my PR in a 5k is 22:08, so I thought that running 3.1. miles under 24 minutes after swimming and biking will be challenging).

I did not only exceed my expectations, but I also felt pretty good during the entire run and I was able to finish strong (I sprinted the last 200 yards when I felt I had a guy behind me trying to pass me. He couldn't pass me, but he kept within 2 feet all the way until the finish line).

I started conservatively and I increased my pace as the run went by. It was a good strategy since I was able to build confidence during the run and I always was comfortable with my pace.

I didn't drink or eat anything during the run. It was a very short run, so I made sure I was well hydrated and energized to start my run as I was finishing my bike leg.

Although I am very happy with the result (goal accomplished), after analyzing the results, the run is clearly one area of improvement for me, especially in my Age Group. I would like to try the following for future races:

1. Pace and Effort: After not finishing very tired, I know I can increase my pace by at least 15 seconds per mile.

2. Cadence/Stride/Efficiency: I am putting a lot of time on improving my swim technique and I feel I should do the same with my running. I don't think my cadence is correct (slow) nor my landing (although it has improved a lot, I am not completely mid-foot landing yet) or stride (too long). I have to work on correct these points to improve my running form and efficiency. I may consider taking a few running classes.

3. Attention to detail: As I mentioned on the T2 section, I was told I forgot my bib number 30 yards into my run, so I had to go back and grab it. That made me lose precious time (I estimate around 30-40 seconds).
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing especial. Just eat (bagel, turkey, fruit, and a recovery muscle milk shake) and relax with my parents.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

1. Swim: Endurance and sighting

2. Bike: Effort, I need to push harder from minute 1. I have the bike fitness to do it.

3. Run: Forgot my bib and had to go back to grab it. Also, poor running form and cadence.

Event comments:

Good race. Although I think I could have done a little bit better here and there, I accomplished all my goals and I got a better finish time than expected.

Last updated: 2013-05-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:02 | 437 yards | 02m 17s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/21
Overall: 82/280
Performance: Good
Suit: Louis Garneau Trisuit
Course: Swim out, turn right at the first bouy, and then turn right at the next bouy to arrive to shore. It was a short swim, so I wanted to try going hard at first to be able to not get caught on the first bouy craziness and then swim at a more relaxed pace the rest of the way. Main Goal: Finish MOP in my age group. I always finish towards the back, but I have been practicing hard to improve this part of the race.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:54
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:27:16 | 10 miles | 22.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/21
Overall: 53/280
Wind: Little
Course: 2 lap 5 mile flat course. It was a pretty easy course, although there were 4 180 turns and 3 speed bumps that made it a little bit challenging (I actually almost fell in one of them due to going full speed and not seeing it).
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 82
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:57
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:58 | 03.11 miles | 07m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/21
Overall: 62/280
Performance: Average
Course: 1 3.1 mile lap on a flat course, mostly trail running with about .25 miles beach run.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes