Sunny
Total Time = 40m 7s
Overall Rank = 8/74
Age Group = 0-39
Age Group Rank = 6/15
Pre-race routine:

Breakfast, then got ready and drove there
Event warmup:

A little late so I ran the 0.5k to the start, did a little stretching and then it was off.
Run
  • 40m 6s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 01s  min/km
Comments:

This race actually had pace makers. The fastest one where supposed to run a 39:59 and my goal was to run another sub 40 minutes, last week I did a new PB of 39:58 :) so my plan was to keep up with the pacer until the first of 2 big hills, just before 8k, and then try to kick from there. Well that was the plan.
At the start I get myself in the first line next to this very small woman, and some fast looking guys. The gun sounds and we are off. The guys are gone within the first 100m or so. I was really fighting myself not start to fast. So instead of trying to keep up with the little woman, (mistake) I wanted to find my own pace. First 1k 3:53 perfect not to fast. The next km went by in 3:58 but with a lot of up and down hills I was not really finding a nice rhythm, next km 4:04, uh I had slowed down I could really use somebody to pace me, so I look behind to see where the pacer is at, he is around 50m behind. I find this a bit strange because that would mean that he is not running fast enough, or he plans to run a bit faster on the last 5k. But there are these 2 big hills, so I don’t think he will be able to do that. Well I did not slow down to let him catch up to me. All I have to run after is the little woman who is 50m in front of me. This is the gap she made over the first 1k, since then we have been pretty even. So far this has been a very lonely race I am all by myself :(
Finally we turn around, just over 20 minutes, I can see that the pacer is not catching up, so I just have to continue running by myself. From 6-7k I had slowed down to 4:12, and I gave up on finishing under 40 min. But I did try to pick up the pace a bit. There it was the first of the big hills. This was where I had plan to make an attach, but now where I had been running by myself the whole way, I was not really able to do that. I did manage to pick up the speed a bit, but not as much as I had wanted to. Luckily after the hill there was a downhill section. I was now just tring to focus on the last hill, which also was the longest. 9k just one more km to go, and then the hill started, I could see the little woman up in front of me, about 2 lampposts ahead of me. The first part of the hill was not to bad, but it is quit long. I was now really pushing, and half way up the breathing rhythm was a mess, this is the point where the second part of the hill starts, which unfortunately also is the steepest :( Nothing to do but attach the hill, with all control gone, it felt like a sprint to the top. I finally made it, now only 1/2k to go just streight and a slight downhill before the finish line, I look up from the pavement where my eyes had been for most of the uphill section, wow the woman was now only ½ a lamppost ahead of me. I had to slow down after the hill, it felt like my heart was beating around a million, but I had to try to get her, then I could at least overtake one person. I went into “sprint mode” running my heart out but I was catching her, when I got to within 10m of her she heard me, and looked behind, no it is not a steam engine, just another runner coming to get you. Well gets what she did ! She started sprinting too ! Hæ don’t do that, I was just catching you. Damn it. But then some thing strange happen, I was already sprinting at full speed when something clicked in my head. I simply had to get her I have no idea when the energy came from but somehow I went from “sprint mode” into “Carl Lewis” mode :o I don’t know how it was possible but I absolutely flew by her like she was standing still. I crossed the line with a big gap down to her. I was totally out of breath but I was a lot more surprised about the speed I had be able to reach over the last meters, and even more surprised over the time 40:06 how was that possible, it should have been 20-30 seconds slower ! I then checked my split times and what a chock !! I had done the last km with the long hill in 3:37 :o How did I do that?????
I am still in chock over that, I have absolutely no idea how I did that……….

What would you do differently?:

How enough fait in myself to believe I can stay with small running women.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, got some dry clothes on, and then waited for the rest to finish

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The same as always training, but also not believing in myself

Event comments:

Good hard race, but the hills are real killers

Last updated: 2006-07-07 12:00 AM
Running
00:40:06 | 10 kms | 04m 01s  min/km
Age Group: 0/15
Overall: 0/74
Performance: Average
1k 3:53 HR Avg 157 Max 163 2k 3:55 HR Avg 164 Max 167 3k 4:04 HR Avg 168 Max 170 4k 4:04 HR Avg 168 Max 170 6k 8:11 HR Avg 169 Max 172 7k 4:12 HR Avg 171 Max 172 8k 4:03 HR Avg 170 Max 174 9k 4:04 HR Avg 172 Max 175 10k 3:37 HR Avg 177 Max 182 0-10k 40:06 HR Avg 169 Max 182
Course: Out and back, 2 bigger hills and some smaller.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-07-12 5:30 AM

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
Subject: Namsflokkarhlaupid

2006-07-12 7:42 AM
in reply to: #479860

User image

Regular
Eden Prairie, MN
Subject: RE: Namsflokkarhlaupid
How could I NOT comment on a race called the "Namsflokkarhlaupid" ?!? (Does it translate to English, Torben?)

Nice fast run for you! Did you find out why your pacer was so slow?

-Kevin
2006-07-12 7:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boston, MA
Great race! Way to push yourself hard at the end and finish strong. Sorry to hear that the pacer wasn't fast enough. By the way, you are smoking fast!
2006-07-12 10:08 AM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

Wow - that was a really fast race!  (I know you didn't make your time goal, but wow!)

I also had to read the RR because of the name Namsflokkarhlaupid, too cool.

Great job, and sorry the pacer was slow, but it sounds like the "little woman" paced you pretty well.

2006-07-12 12:38 PM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

Great race, again.  You are fast!!!

Did you recognize any of your usual triathlon competitors at the race or were they mostly strictly runners?

2006-07-12 5:37 PM

Champion
South Jersey
Great race! I love your race reports - they're so detailed and I always feel like I am running with you.

Next time, know that you can beat the small running women!! Haha, that's funny.

You've been racing so well this year. It's great!

2006-07-17 5:20 AM

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland

Thank you ecerybody. I finally have the finale result: I placed 8th overall and 6th in my age group in a time of 40:07

Namflokkarhlupid. It ranslate into "The Namsflokkar Run" Namsflokkar being the name of the evening school that organised the race, very easy

Edited by Mesteren 2006-07-17 5:21 AM
2006-07-30 11:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX (West of Houston)

I'm catching up on reading RRs.  Good report and great race!  What an EXCITING RR!  Congrats on your FANTASTIC finish...Carl...er I mean...Torben! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Namsflokkarhlaupid Rss Feed