United States
US Road Sports & Entertainment Group
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 10m 25s
Overall Rank = 103/2257
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 28/232
Pre-race routine:

Stayed the night because of the Saturday bib pick up. Probably best given the traffic to the race. Stayed at a pretty crappy little motel that only had a smoking room so I had an unusual pre-race shower to get the stink off. Could only eat a half a cliff bar because last night's meatball parm was still sitting in the stomach. I forgot how big a "full" hero in NJ is...the most stressful time of any race day is the time between waking up and having a "twosie" as the kids call it. I try not to leave for any race without.
Event warmup:

The traffic was nutty getting in and I didnt think I would make it in time for a warmup. so pulled over at a Home Depot about 2 miles out and jogged in. Then did a few pickups near the start. I felt pretty good.
Run
  • 3h 10m 25s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 07m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

Held steady until mile 22 or so, then felt like I was running up hill when there was no hill. I had been running with, or trading places with 2 guys I met at the start until around 21 miles, then they pulled out of sight. for a while I convinced myself that I was still fine, still had some cushion. Once we hit were in that final 4 miles, I realized me and everyone. around me were slowing down, so I started picking people ahead of me to pass before hitting the next mile marker. This helped, but I was kind of out of pep, regardless. I was able to surge for the last 1/4 mile, but too little, too late.

It's a great time, especially given where I'm coming from, but expected to either make it or be off at least 5 minutes. 25 lousy seconds? Now I get to wonder if I really didn't have it in me to surge for 2 miles, instead of .25

I planned to run with the 3:10 pace group to make Boston next year. Based on training I figured I could keep that pace for at least half, if the wheels came off, I'd still make 3:20 or so. Our pace leader's wife had a baby and couldn't make it. An older guy who does this race every year declared himself the pacer and gathered all the 3:10 folks around. He went on about how hes a metronome and always keeps pace, yada, yada. He did keep a steady pace, right on it, until he started slowing down, maybe at mile 9. I didn't realize it right away but a few folks did and left us behind. he says they are going too fast, but I start to have my doubts as he talks of negative splits... I cant negative split a race this long, so I left and slowly caught the guys who left earlier. It didn't hurt my race to run in that group, and running isn't a team sport, but for the sake of anyone who stuck together longer, I wish he wouldn't have going on with such confidence. I checked his time in the results and it was over 8 minutes behind plan.

What would you do differently?:

stay clear of groups. I have a fancy watch and plenty of people to chase at a large race. drink less water before. had to pee the whole race, but this might be nerves more than anything else.
Post race
Warm down:

took a bus back to the start, then a 2 mile hobble back to the car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I don't know but I'm sure I'll keep asking.

Last updated: 2013-03-22 12:00 AM
Running
03:10:25 | 26.2 miles | 07m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 28/232
Overall: 103/2257
Performance: Good
I need to remember that I run about 1% further than the measured distance and keep that in mind so it doesn't play head games with me during a race...
Course: point to point through some coastal towns. All on asphalt. I think that before hurricane Sandy it included some boardwalk miles. Very flat, but the wind in the last 5 miles can be tricky.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-05-06 6:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
Subject: New Jersey Marathon

2013-05-06 12:13 PM
in reply to: #4728690

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Subject: RE: New Jersey Marathon
That is soooooooooooooooo Frign' fast Bill!! REALLY man....congrats on a great race!  you'll get this Boston thing NP, plenty of time left!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey Marathon Rss Feed