Wisconsin Marathon
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 21m 45s
Overall Rank = 67/1060
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 9/50
Pre-race routine:

Got up. Have my waffles with coffee. Typical of race morning, stomach was kinda upset from getting up too early and didn't get it all down. Oh well. Drove to the race, checked my gear, and got a good 10 minutes of pace running in.
Event warmup:

10 minutes of race pace just to feel how it was.
Run
  • 3h 21m 45s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 07m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

Note: Placing incules DNFs and DNSs. It appears that there were 900 finishers. Don't know about age group.

Started out well. Mile 1 went down in 7:20 and I realized that was off of my desired pace, so I picked it up and came through mile 2 at 13:45. Woah...too fast. Held right at 6:55-7:00 all the way through mile 15, when I slowed a bit to about 7:10. Slowed due to a change of stride. Before that, i was pacing off of someone and was very comfortable. Came through 11 miles comfortably at 1:15 something.

I had anticipated that suffering would start, but I didn't know how soon.

Then, at mile 19, the suffer started. I couldn't keep a good pace going. Came through mile 19 at 2:16:03, still a good pace. Those last 7 miles took forever. I walked a few times. Powered through to mile 25, when I decided it was gut chuck time and toughed it out to the end.

Looking back on it, my problem was nutrition. I didn't drink enough and I didn't eat enough. My stomach was upset for most of the 2nd half of the run when I needed food the most, so I took no solid food in during this time. That was the death of me. I think I could have done much better if I had been able to get nutrition down.

This has been a consistent problem for me and why I haven't had much success in longer races. I need to focus on nutrition and try to get the going well. The thing is this: what I do in training works there, but I can't seem to make it click during a race. I need to get that under control.

I also didn't respect the distance. Coming into it, my goal was to go under 3:10 which, according to a HM time at the end of March and McMillan, shouldn't have been much of a problem. I had a hard time wrapping my mind around 26.2 miles. Now that I get how long it is, I can adapt my training better for the next one.

All errors and disappointments aside, for a first marathon, this is a decent time. I'm content with it. I know that I can do better though. So even though at mile 24, I promised myself I would never do a marathon again, I think I'll break that promise.
What would you do differently?:

1. Get my nutrition program together. GEEZ!
2. More training at race pace.
3. For long runs, focus on running the last 5 miles fast to get used to running tired.
4. Get my nutrition program together.
Post race
Warm down:

Staggered around for a bit. Leaned on the fence until my dad came to help me through. Pounded out 5 cups of Gatorade and 2 bottles of water. I was REALLY dehydrated. Got my food, bag, and started the long walk back to the car. Stretched when I got home and took a hot shower.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not eating enough.

Event comments:

I'd do it again. And maybe will! We'll see.

Loved the cheese theme: I'm on a mission from gouda.

Last updated: 2013-03-02 12:00 AM
Running
03:21:45 | 26.2 miles | 07m 42s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/50
Overall: 50/1060
Performance: Average
Course: Flat. Quick loop around downtown and the neighborhoods of Kenosha, then north 6.5 miles. Turn around and back to town where the half-marathoners went to the finish and the full went straight for a long and lonely 13.1 miles.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-05-06 8:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
Subject: Wisconsin Marathon

2013-05-06 12:10 PM
in reply to: #4728867

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Subject: RE: Wisconsin Marathon
that's a heck of a first marathon!  Nice job Chup!  Those last 10k are the hardest thing to fight through IMO.  Great learning experience for you.  This will lead to much success in the future.  Congrats!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wisconsin Marathon Rss Feed