General Discussion Race Reports! » Cincinnati Flying Pig Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Cincinnati Flying Pig Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cincinnati, Ohio
United States
Cincinnati Flying Pig Marathon
51F / 11C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 43m 56s
Overall Rank = 576/611
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 76/611
Pre-race routine:

Got up and ate our customary banana bread. I was having mild GI issues due to food eaten at a Derby Day Party the day before the race. Super hot potato chips and beer are not good pre race day food fyi. Walked from our parking spot to the race. I ate a GU roctane then stopped use the porto potties. Then the wife and I split to go to our different corals. My plan was to go out about 8:10 until the hill at mile 5 then push up the hill at a reasonable effort then pick it up around mile 10 for the down hill and see how things sorted out. I would have been happy with anything close to my PR set in october on a really flat course.
Event warmup:

Parked at wife's work. About 6-7 blocks walking to the start.
Run
  • 1h 43m 56s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

On my previous HM (which was almost completely flat) I maintained fairly even mile splits. For the first 5 miles I was kind of all over the place though it's slightly hillier than it seems with 3 bridge crossings. At about mile 3.5 I started to have some stomach issues creep up. For the next couple miles I thought I may be forced to stop at one of the porto potties. I was worried that I was going to have issues as the hills got closer but around mile 5.5 after running through downtown things felt better. My 6.8 mile split was 8:11 pace so I hit my first goal. I then increased the effort as I hit the hills. My pace slowed down a bit and I seemed to be between 8:20-8:30 most of the time up the hill. From mile 8 to 10 the terrain is a little bit rolly. I tried to keep from overdoing it on the uphills and letting things go on the slightly downhill sections. On the sections through downtown (mile 5ish) and at the split between miles 8 and 9 there were tons of people and they were loud. These sections really motivated me and I noticably ran faster here. I caught up to the 1:45 pace group just before mile 10 which is about where the down hill begins. At this point I just tried to let gravity assist me and let things happen. I eventually got ahead of the 1:45 group but not much as I could always here cheers from the crowd behind me yelling to the 1:45 group. I hit mile 11 at right about 1:29-1:30 so I knew that if I could just keep up the effort I could go sub 1:45. I just kept pushing all the way to finish line and had a great time. I was extremely happy to out do my previous hr on a more difficult course. I had carried one Gu gel and one package of sportbeans but never ate them. When i'm running at this type of effort I just can't take GU or sport beans so i was afraid I would get sick if did eat them.

What would you do differently?:

Not too much to change on the run. I think I paced it just about perfectly for me.
Post race
Warm down:

Waited for wife in the medical area since I knew a lot of people running the medical tent. Got some free stretching and a drink.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Probably my nutrition the day before.

Last updated: 2012-11-14 12:00 AM
Running
01:43:56 | 13.1 miles | 07m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 76/611
Overall: 576/611
Performance: Good
Course: The flying pig course is fun. There is a large hill starting about 5 miles in lasting until mile 8. Then it gets slightly rolling until about mile 10 then it's mostly downhill to the finish. (Though there is just enough flat/false flat that you can't quite go all out the entire way). I know that a lot of people fear the hills but I have never had a huge issue with them. They make you work but they don't completely kill you as long as you don't try to push too hard up them.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-05-06 10:00 AM

Subject: Cincinnati Flying Pig Half Marathon

2013-05-06 10:24 AM
in reply to: #4729087

User image

Veteran
Cincinnati
Subject: RE: Cincinnati Flying Pig Half Marathon
Great job!!! Congrats on your PR!!! Great course and great event!! Are you going to do the Cincinnati Triathlon in July??
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cincinnati Flying Pig Half Marathon Rss Feed