General Discussion Race Reports! » Spring Bassman Half Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Spring Bassman Half Distance Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tuckerton, New Jersey
United States
CityTri Racing
48F / 9C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 07m 49s
Overall Rank = 33/99
Age Group = 35-29
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Awake at 3:41am. Breakfast at 4:30am-rice porridge with some ground pork and egg, homemade. Had a banana at about 6:30, and a Hammer Gel at 7:30 before 7:45 start. Drank water, probably too much, since I had to pee about 8 times in the 90 minutes or so before the start.
Event warmup:

Light swimming about 10 minutes to start (which was about 15-20 min late)
Swim
  • 34m 58s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

I swam 1.63 miles on a 1.2 mile course. I need to learn to swim straight. I was all over the place. It was a small race and there were not enough participants for the "corral" effect to keep me somewhat on course. Water was actually quite nice compared to the air outside.
What would you do differently?:

Swim straight. Need to get better at sighting, or better at trailing people who can sight.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

It was freezing cold, and I decided to go with a full sleeve layer over my singlet. It was a good choice, but I should have prepped the shirt better. It was hard to get over my wet arms. Overall I was slow, and a bit confused, it was really cold if I didn't mention that already.

Probably go with arm warmers.
Bike
  • 2h 49m 37s
  • 57.2 miles
  • 20.23 mile/hr
Comments:

Second year riding, and still learning. Was good enough with bike handling, but it was a very easy non technical course, and there werent alot of riders. A bit bumpy going out of each loop for a few miles. Some wind, probably 10-15mph. It was cold, I was freezing well into half of the ride.

I wanted to average at least 20mph, and barely got that. I feel I lose a ton of time on the bike compated to better riders. I just need more time in saddle, and need to keep myself out of comfort zone in training. Also perhaps put some toe warmers on my shoes if it is this cold, my feet were numb the whole ride.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Not bad, ran back to take a bit of nutrition and hydration before run, probably lost 30 seconds with that.

Try to get nutrition done while moving.
Run
  • 1h 39m 2s
  • 13.2 miles
  • 07m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

Feet numb from ride, and had to stop for a bathroom break. So I got off to a slow start mile 1 into 2. Then was at about 7:15 min/mile until mid-run, then I psyched myself out a bit and convinced myself that I couldn't hold it to the finish and slowed a bit. Then when I got to mile 9 or so I realized I had enough in the tank, dropped to about 7 min/mile, but regreted the time lost.

Fix the numb feet issue, and trust my run fitness. No bathroom break would have been nice, but its a long race.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked a bit, not too much, pretty much went right to the food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim-couldn't swim straight. Have been solid in training, making good progress in pool, need OWS experience. Bike- I just need more time in saddle and hard training. Run- need confidence, I didn't need to slow up mid run, I had too much left in tank at the end. I am confident fixing the swim/run issues and I am sub-5 hours with no additional fitness. However, I really really want to get better on the bike and see my times really drop.

Event comments:

It was a small race, but I liked it. The bike course could have been better, but they said they had to change it this year and weren't too happy either. The lake was surprisingly warm (62 deg F)considering the cooler weather we had recently. I liked the run course, it wound through trails a bit, on and off pavement. Food was much better than most other races. Had some decent choices. They needed more volunteers to direct on the course, there were some spots that were a little confusing, and to my understanding a few runners went off course.

Last updated: 2013-05-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:58 | 2112 yards | 01m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/99
Performance: Below average
Suit: Full wetsuit
Course: They said it was a square, but it was more of a trapezoid, maybe a rhombus. Buoys were to the right. 2 loops.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:49:37 | 57.2 miles | 20.23 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: 3 loops. Flat. So cold.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:39:02 | 13.2 miles | 07m 30s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Flat, 3 loops, but some variation on each loop. I liked this course, about half was on trails, hard packed sand mostly, some soft sand near lake.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2013-05-06 9:10 PM

Subject: Spring Bassman Half Distance Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Spring Bassman Half Distance Triathlon Rss Feed