General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Which one is the best option for weight loss? Keto? Paleo? High Protein? Low Carb? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-07 7:25 AM

User image

New user

Subject: Which one is the best option for weight loss? Keto? Paleo? High Protein? Low Carb?

Hello everyone!

I would like to discuss the best diet plan or philosophy considering that I am aiming to reduce my weight, specially focusing on fat burning. I read about several types of diet, as I described on the subject, but I still don't know which one is the best option, considering that we, beginner triathletes, need fuel to be burned during our training series. 

So, share your experience and some advice you may have for this issue. 

Tks and a very nice week for us. 

2013-05-07 7:46 AM
in reply to: #4730752

User image

Expert
Detroit, MI. Kinda.
Subject: RE: Which one is the best option for weight loss? Keto? Paleo? High Protein? Low Carb?
I vote for balanced, but always erring on the side of more protein/less carbs.  I don't realllly follow paleo, but keeping the paleo principles in mind when making decisions helps to keep the sugar/high glycemic intake to a minimum. I think that is the key ...at the end of the day - restricted calories will lead to weight loss.  A higher protein diet will tend to help preserve muscle and make sure that more of the weight lost is fat.
2013-05-07 9:34 AM

User image

East Dubuque
Subject: RE: Which one is the best option for weight loss? Keto? Paleo? High Protein? Low Carb?
I would agree the higher protein diet you have is best.  I don't eliminate carbs but if I have a lot like White pasta & bread I bloat up & hold on to fat even if stay in calorie range.  I also am trying Isagenix of a 30 day "cleanse"  that will get me to a healthy lean race weight.  Its high protein, balanced carbs, and whole natural foods. 
2013-05-07 9:44 AM

User image

Expert
Brookings South Dakota
If you're talking about pure weight loss, regardless of health or being able to train well, Keto.
2013-05-07 1:47 PM

User image

Expert

I'd suggest following a diet of calorie reduction. Also, I suggest maximizing the nutrients by eating plenty of complex carbs, lean protein, and cutting way down of sugars and empty carbs. 

The best diet is one that can be kept on a permanent basis. 

2013-05-07 7:12 PM

User image

I am newly gluten free and lost 12 lbs in a month with same activity level but no Gluten really (maybe 1 cheat a week). My gastro system felt less bloated, more regular and overall just better. I will continue as its easy to maintain as I ate fairly "clean" with NO/Low processed food before (also lost 8 lbs prior with that change in diet). It will be a lifestyle change for me as I really see food as fuel also and feel better all over!!

2013-05-08 8:02 AM
in reply to: #4731013

User image

Expert
Detroit, MI. Kinda.

ipull400watts - 2013-05-07 10:44 AM If you're talking about pure weight loss, regardless of health or being able to train well, Keto.

I'll agree with this.

2013-05-08 9:08 AM

User image

Expert
Healthy balanced meals resulting in a caloric deficit.
2013-05-09 7:07 AM

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
I hate to state the obvious, but the best diet is the one that works well and the one that works for you. Several mention restricting carbs and I agree with that especially the junk. However, if you are someone that loves your carbs, then I would say, have them, but make them quality carbs. Diets fail, because, well, we call them diets, implying that it is the flavor of the month fad. Skip the diet label and make good nutritional changes that you can maintain for life. You will find folks that will argue in favor and against every diet out there. You need to figure out what makes sense to you and then run with it.
2013-05-09 8:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

Whole foods- shop the outside of the grocery store/ cut sugar ...

As far as high protein - see what works for YOUR body--some people do very well on high protein other do not. I personally do much better on a plant based diet.

Also- I have been mostly gluten free & mostly sugar free since the beginning of the year and have only lost 4 lbs! BUT my clothes are fitting very differently. Take body measurements- can be very helpful in gauging weightloss if you are working out while trying to loose.

2013-05-09 9:34 AM

User image

East Dubuque
I have just recently started 30 days of isagenix to help get to race weight.  My problem is was craving carbs like CRAZY & for me my body just hold on to the fat if I eat it on a regular basis.  I have had really good luck with the Protein shakes especially with energy & recovery.  with my meals I eat as clean and low carb as possible.  In the past week I have lost 2 pounds, less bloat, and a whole lot of energy.  For me I had to modify isagenix because it wasn't enough calories but replaced the calories with more protein with fish, eggs, chicken and lots of veggies.  I still keep my nutrition the same on the road with long runs & bikes. 

2013-05-09 9:28 PM

User image

Everyone's body is different and has varying nutritional needs. Best option is to eat a well balanced diet. No magic diet is out there. Learn to listen to your body. It will let you know what it needs.
2013-05-10 12:48 PM
in reply to: #4735917

User image

Veteran
Louisville

MUohio - 2013-05-09 10:28 PM Everyone's body is different and has varying nutritional needs. Best option is to eat a well balanced diet. No magic diet is out there. Learn to listen to your body. It will let you know what it needs.

X2. I'm a vegetarian and it has changed my life but I've heard that some people's bodies can't handle it. Load up on the real food and you'll have less room for junk. Personally, I'm a big fan of juicing. One glass of juice a day in place of a snack adds tons of nutrients without the calories and can curb the cravings.

2013-05-13 4:31 PM

User image

I don't have a specific diet, but low carb / high protein works for me:

In particular:

• No sweets (donuts, muffins, cinnamon rolls).  I do eat dark chocolate though.  
  • No juice.  Eat real fruits instead.
  • No soda. 
  • No deep fried food.  Bake or simply stir fry them.
  • No eating 2 hours before going to bed (this is the tough one to stick with).

I was a little heavy in college.  Lost ~25 lbs in 2 years, and have kept it off for ~10 years.

Cool  Hope it would help you with some ideas too. 

Edited by Lynn00 2013-05-13 4:31 PM
2013-07-07 11:10 AM
in reply to: Lynn00

I have very good success with low/no carb diets. I've lost 80lbs in the last 18 months. I generally do it from Jan to April or so, and then switch to a more balanced diet as my training volume increases. It's a great way to lose weight, but I find (for me) that it doesn't support extended training times. It's important to not overdue it when you reintegrate carbs in your diet, and in general, the diet helps me make better decisions later on. I still keep some of the principles, and use some of the same foods (dreamfields pastas, low carb wraps, etc). Tastes just as good, so why take in the extra carbs?
2013-07-17 8:56 AM
in reply to: VGT

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Personally, I do not like the term "Diet" for weight loss because to me it implies and temporary solution to a long term problem. That is why most of them only work for a short period of time and then the weight comes back on once the "diet" is over. I have sustained constant weight loss for 3 years and have not regained. What worked for me was clean eating (lean protein sources:chicken, turkey, tuna, bison, shrimp, etc.; vegetables and fruits and whole grains in moderation) Everyone is different and different things work for each of us. I learned to keep a balanced meal 5 times a day (small ones) and I tried to eat something green with every meal and it worked wonders for me. Avoid excess sugars like soda and fruit juice too because there is no need to drink your calories.

2013-07-27 8:24 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

The 951
Just like with everything else, weight loss and weight control are about is enjoying food in moderation. Have a doughnut or eat ice cream once in a while, but don't be a pig and eat em everyday!

Calories in < Calories out = weight loss.

Edited by BikesOfALesserGod 2013-07-27 8:25 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Which one is the best option for weight loss? Keto? Paleo? High Protein? Low Carb? Rss Feed