REVOLUTION3 Triathlon
58F / 14C
Precipitation
Total Time = 5h 02m
Overall Rank = 13/
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 3/
Pre-race routine:

Oh Tennessee….an early season Half Iron from the spectacular REV3 race organization. Weather this spring in the Mid Atlantic has not been ideal, nor has my training while finishing up my residency at Walter Reed. However, learning from the last few seasons, volume does not always equate to success. My 2012 season saw 20-30% less volume but I amped up the intensity of my workouts….I’ve tried to keep the same mantra going in 2013. 60 to 90 minute hard workouts, strength training 2x per week and sprinkle in the long run or ride as time allows….so here we go.
I won my entry to Knoxville last year by winning my AG at REV3 Maryland…that was very nice….however my ability to calculate driving time escaped me and I did not realize that I had a nice 8 hour drive from Washington DC to Knoxville..oh well. Loaded up Lil’ Roo in the Disco and made the long journey to Tennessee..... I must say…southern Virginia is quite beautiful.

Event warmup:

Made it to Knox late Friday night and settled in…Check in Saturday per usual, swag bag, etc…..rain, lots of rain. I had heard the water temp was only 58 degrees so I heavily debated the practice swim, but with some thought and boredom sitting in the hotel room I decided to go check it out….. Wetsuit and neoprene cap on, made the plunge and swam 1000 meters out and back…It was freezing! The initial 100-200m was very difficult to breathe, but after a few minutes it wasn’t too bad and I was able to settle in to my pace. In the end the practice swim was a great decision…I knew how much time I needed to get used to the water and would not be surprised race morning…..Back to the hotel, pizza and sleep.
Swim
  • 34m
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

ace morning….Rain, heavy rain…and cold. Ok here we go. I like races that add another challenge. Its too easy to race in perfect conditions, and I tend to get beat in those races…give me complete shit weather, wind, huge climbs, waves….and I’ll contend. Adding the mental component can be a huge advantage to some…….5:30am, transition, set up, etc….6:30 off to the swim start in the pouring rain….6:50 boom and we are off. It was a river swim with a fairly substantial current for the first 800m, I felt pretty good, sighting was good and caught a small pack, made the turn and just tried to swim long with big pulls for the downriver current….out in 34:xx according to my garmin for the 1.93k swim. (timing mat was a long way out of the water). There was a 0.3 mile run to T1, so I chose to use the swim/bike bag and stash an extra pair of shoes…Good Idea!!! Made up three places in T1….out on the bike in 10th place AG.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Bike
  • 2h 40m
  • 56 miles
  • 21.00 mile/hr
Comments:

I decided not to ride in my jacket and just went with my standard kit and arm warmers…It felt ok, but was a little cold….started to hammer pretty good and was passing a lot of people in the first 10 miles….mile 10 to 40 I was alone…cold and alone… I had moved into 4th AG and 11th overall, but was in no man’s land on the course….It was a very challenging course, Ironman Kentucky like….rollers with a few climbs and technical descents. The rain made things treacherous….flooded sections, slippery spots etc….I was careful when needed, but hit it hard when I knew I could….I pulled into T2 in 4th AG, 2:40, 21mph….Running in I didn’t realize how numb I was, My hands had swollen and I couldn’t get my helmet buckle off!!! Finally ready to run, shot of redbull and a GU while running out and time to catch 3rd!
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 1h 39m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

Out of T2, my lower back was very tight as well as my calves…..I’m thinking my bike fit may be off, this has happened a couple times recently……I pushed through the tightness and ran an opening mile at 7:12…I wanted to go 1:35 or better for the 13.1…..It was a slow day to begin with, and I hate not breaking 5 hours!.....The tightness continued and I lost a lot of speed…..this usually passes so I just tried to hang on…..Made the turn at 6.5 and was feeling a lot better…still pouring rain, with water pooling on the roads….dropped things back down into the low 7:00’s but just could not pull back the 3rd place guy….Finished the last 5k running 7:01’s for a 1:39, but missed the 5 hour mark by 2 minutes……the day was very slow, the winner only went 4:40….so it was a good 20-25 minute bad weather day….again..time is time, but overall place is what we are after.
Post race
Warm down:

In the end, the overall champ was in my AG so I rolled into 3rd AG and was 13th overall….Not bad for an early season 70.3. This sets me up well for the Age-Group standings within the REV3 points system. I’m racing REV3 Williamsburg in June…and with another good race there, I should make the championship with no problem.

Last updated: 2013-02-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:00 | 2112 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 58F / 14C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:40:00 | 56 miles | 21.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/
Overall: 11/
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:39:00 | 13.1 miles | 07m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/
Overall: 13/
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-05-07 9:28 AM

User image

Subject: Rev3 Knoxville - Half Rev

2013-05-07 10:13 AM
in reply to: #4730982

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Subject: RE: Rev3 Knoxville - Half Rev
Nice race. That is a killer time on that course and in those conditions.

Congratulations on the podium.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rev3 Knoxville - Half Rev Rss Feed