General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Pumpkinman Half Iron Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-08 1:22 PM

User image

NH
Subject: Pumpkinman Half Iron Triathlon : Official Thread
Can't wait to do this one again.  It was my first 70.3 and I had a spectacular screw up.  Kat puts on a top notch event.

2013-07-25 1:39 PM
in reply to: wbayek

User image

Newmarket, NH
Subject: RE: Pumpkinman Half Iron Triathlon : Official Thread
This year will be my 1st 70.3 -- what was your spectacular screw up? (I don't want to make the same mistake!)
2013-07-25 2:07 PM
in reply to: mpento17

User image

NH
Originally posted by mpento17

This year will be my 1st 70.3 -- what was your spectacular screw up? (I don't want to make the same mistake!)

I have a Aqua Cell bottle I used between my clip on aero bars (I only had a road bike at the time) There are two compartments in the Aqua Cell. In one, I put just water and in the other I put all my nutrition mix. Each compartment ha it's own straw. During the ride, I finished the side I thought was my nutrition and didn't drink much from the other one for some reason. I got water at the two aid stations on the bike and drank that as well.

At about 8 miles into the run things started getting really dark, and at about 10 miles, I literally could not move anymore. I got dizzy and tipped over, causing quite a stir among the volunteers! Luckily I was right at an aid station, so they sat me up, filled me with coke and some "real" food, and after about 15-20 minutes I convinced them to let me get on my way. I did finish, but it was tough.

When I went back to transition to get my bike, I found I had drank all the water and almost nothing from the nutrition side! So essentially I did a half iron on maybe 200 calories. Not recommended!
2013-07-30 7:23 AM
in reply to: mpento17

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Originally posted by mpento17

This will be my first real 70.3, I did an Aqua bike 2 years ago due to an injury that prevented me from running.

My screw up was putting my wet suit on inside out? I even had someone help me zip it up because I was having trouble getting the zipper up, he must have thought I was a real idiot haha, I finally realized what I had done and asked a friend to help me get the zipper down so I could fix it, would have made for a really slow transition.

This will be an ugly race for me, my training has been very sporadic due to long work hours, but I am determined to drag myself through!

Good luck everyone, see you on the course.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Pumpkinman Half Iron Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed