United States
38F / 3C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 50m 58s
Overall Rank = 115/167
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 32/35
Pre-race routine:

Drove the hour and a half to Sioux Center, PB, Honey and Banana samich for Breakfast, and a spare for "brunch" knowing it'll be 10:30 before I hit the water. Rained the whole way there, and the car thermometer said 34 when I pulled into the parking lot... oy this was going to be tough... gave serious consideration about bailing but having come this far, set up the transition and met up with the rest of the club. One was going to DNS, and after the fact I respect his decision.
Event warmup:

None, this would prove to be an issue in the swim. shoulders were TIGHT, and in 300 Yards never got loose.
Swim
  • 06m 5s
  • 300 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

Three people finished at once, so the line moved up a bit faster thn I expected, forgot to put the goggles down, and the swim cap wasn't seated on my head right. noticed the goggles after an attempt at a first stroke. A few one armed breast strokes to try and get the goggles situated. The bottom of the pool was weird, the wall seemed either too close or too far away depending on which end of the pool you were at. My stroke was off the whole time. The good news is that I managed to hop my fat rear out of the pool without issue. An improvement over last week.
What would you do differently?:

Find a way to warm up. Make sure the cap and goggles are squared away when 2nd in line.
Transition 1
  • 06m 6s
Comments:

Took the slow option, hit the locker room (approved by RD for everyone) and changed into dry tri shorts, put on my new UA fleece tights, and long sleeve mock. On a budget and kinda new to cycling in sub-optimal conditions I don't have any proper waterproof gear.

Not much I could do. I wanted my core garments to be dry.
Bike
  • 1h 00m 50s
  • 15.53 miles
  • 15.32 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike leg was potentially the hardest, stupidest, most insane thing I've ever been through. 25+ Mph head/cross wind for the first half. Stinging rain, or sleet, rain shouldn't "ting" off your helmet. After the turn, it was pretty phenomenal. I'm guessing a 12 avg going out, a 25 coming back. Had to get over 25 to feel any wind in my face, but with the bit of the cross, and wet roads, aero bars went un-used. Need to get more confident on them.

Get more T.I.T.S using the bars. Considering this was was only the 3rd outdoor ride of the year, this will come.

Transition 2
  • 04m 1s
Comments:

cold hands and feet made this transition a challenge. Thank goodness I wore socks to the race, and hadn't taken my race bag back to the car. warm, dry socks.. #Winning didn't take off the now soaked fleece tights... whoops

take off tights.
Run
  • 33m 58s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Comparing to last week, I was only 18 seconds slower, which considering I had to STOP in the parking lot (just outside the transition no less) and take off my soaked tights, and fight them hanging around my neck the whole run is pretty decent. Oddly my legs were either numb, or by the run it had warmed enough... was not cold on the run. just wet, and tired, with legs filled with cement.

Take tights off in transition.
Post race
Warm down:

Perhaps more of a "Warm-UP" procedure. dried off, changed into dry clothes. got a quick stretch and rub down from the WONDERFUL Physical Therapists at the local hospital. What an awesome feature. Devoured a couple burgers at the post race mean that they provided. Hit up a couple local bakeries for devine baked goods and, of all things Tamale's, which made a wonderful dinner later in the evening.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Improper gear, inexperience riding into such a headwind, and COLD, COLD, COLD,

Event comments:

Excellent race, I'll be back. Wonderful swag, and door prizes!

Last updated: 2013-05-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:05 | 300 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/35
Overall: 0/167
Performance: Below average
Suit: Tyr jammers
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 06:06
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:00:50 | 15.53 miles | 15.32 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: L shaped out and back. Typical rural roads...
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 04:01
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:33:58 | 03.11 miles | 10m 55s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: out and back on rec path through Dordt College campus.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-05-08 7:19 PM

User image

New user

Sioux Falls, SD
Subject: SIOUXperman Triathlon

2013-05-09 3:53 PM
in reply to: #4734017

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.
Subject: RE: SIOUXperman Triathlon

OOF DAH!!!  That 7 mile stretch out to the turnaround was brutal.  One thing that can be said about Saturday was the long sleeve shirts are awesome! 

I'm sure I will see you next year.  Siouxperman is the start to my season every year.

Good job finishing.  Several did not.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » SIOUXperman Triathlon Rss Feed