General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Favorite cauliflower recipe Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-10 12:55 PM

User image

Queen BTich
Subject: Favorite cauliflower recipe

I got a ton of cauliflower from the CSA. What do I do with it?

I've never been a huge fan (LOVE broccoli). I roasted 3 heads and still have some left over.

I've tried faux-mashed with herbs, soup, etc and I just didn't like them.

Any good ideas for the rest?
(preferably dairy free, but will consider cream or butter if it looks amazing. No gluten, rice, bread, etc

2013-05-10 1:28 PM
in reply to: #4736790

User image

Master
TORONTO
Subject: RE: Favorite cauliflower recipe

I put it through my food processor to break it down (when it's raw) in to grain sized pieces and you can then fry it in coconut oil like you would rice - makes a nice side dish.  I've also used it in this form to also put in things like stuffed peppers or cabbage rolls in place of rice.  I haven't tried it but I've heard of people using it like you would use mashed potatoes in a sheppard's pie.

Personally I love cauliflower and so will eat it raw with guacamole or just steam it in big chunks with some lemon juice mmmmm

I once saw a google recipe for cauliflower hummus...

2013-05-10 1:55 PM
in reply to: #4736847

User image

Sensei
Sin City

OK, this is absolutely fantastic...  I could eat this all by itself for a meal...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/cauliflower-say-cheese-recipe/index.html

If you don't want to follow the link, see below:

I personally substitute frozen cauliflower and skim milk instead of the cream and it turns out just as well.  In fact, that's how I make it to cut back on some of the effort and fat.

Ingredients

1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 large head cauliflower (about 2 pounds)
4 1/2 ounces Cheddar, grated and divided
1/2 cup homemade coarse bread crumbs
1 whole egg
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 cup heavy cream

Directions

Grease an 11 by 7-inch glass baking dish with the butter and set aside.

Position 1 oven rack in the middle position and 1 in the top position and preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Place the cauliflower in a small glass bowl, stalk end up. Use a paring knife to remove the lower leaves. Trim the curds off of the stem, keeping them as intact as possible. Try to keep the size uniformly large and make as few cuts as possible. Discard the leaves and stem. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and microwave on high for 4 minutes. Rest, still covered in plastic, for another 4 minutes. Uncover and rest for 4 to 5 more minutes while preparing the rest of the dish.

Combine 4 ounces of the cheese, the bread crumbs, egg, salt, mustard, paprika, black pepper, and cayenne in a large mixing bowl. When 1 minute remains on the cauliflower rest period, microwave the cream on high for 30 seconds. Add the cream to the bowl with the cheese mixture and stir to combine.

Using your hands and a tea towel if the cauliflower is still hot, rub the large florets between your hands to break up the curds. Add the curds to the cream mixture and stir until the cheese is thoroughly melted and combined.

Spread the cauliflower mixture in the prepared baking dish, place on the middle rack, and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the baking dish and turn the broiler to high. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 ounce cheese atop the cauliflower. Place on the top rack and broil until the top is bubbly and appropriately brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Rest 10 minutes before serving.
2013-05-10 10:43 PM

User image

New user

Mix 1 cup flour, 1 cup milk (we use almond milk) in large bowl,

Break cauliflower into chicken-wing sized pieces,

Toss cauliflower in the flour/milk mix,

Bake for 25-30 minutes at 375.

Dip in a sauce of your choosing (Franks Red Hot wing sauce is our choice).

2013-05-11 7:38 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
It's hard to get it here (sometimes trucked down from the Central Highlands) but I really like it. I like spicy foods and rarely eat dairy.  Goes very nicely into any kind of curry, especially the milder Indian or Thai ones. Coconut milk adds creaminess without dairy. You could even hit up an Asian grocery, find the right spice mix (Asian Home Gourmet makes an amazing number of them) and make Aloo Gobi Matar with peas, cauliflower, and potatoes. My mom makes a yummy baked cauliflower dish that involves olive oil, spicy V8 (both of us love the stuff), black pepper, and parmesan. You could leave out the latter if desired--I usually scrape it off as I don't like cheese.

Edited by Hot Runner 2013-05-11 7:42 AM
2013-05-11 8:08 PM

User image

Pro
NorCal

I made these....sooo yummy!!!  Mock breadsticks!

http://fastpaleo.com/cauliflower-breadsticks/

2013-05-11 10:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Calgary

Broccoli-cauliflower salad is almost the only way that I eat cauliflower.  (I don't measure so the quantities are approximate.)

The salad...Break up one head of cauliflower into nickel size pieces.  Add an equal amount of cut up broccoli.  Then add two diced green onions, 1/4 cup of raisins and 1/4 cup of sunflower seeds.

The dressing.... Mix 3/4 cup mayonnaise (preferably Hellmann's!), two tablespoons lemon juice and a couple of dashes of hot sauce.

Mix the dressing and the vegetables thoroughly.  Done

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Favorite cauliflower recipe Rss Feed