General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heat cramps? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-07-12 5:36 PM

Houston, TX
Subject: Heat cramps?
I worked out on the bike at the gym this morning. Normal room temp. Worked out pretty hard. Sweated a lot. Drank water during the workout.

After working out, for pretty much all day at work, I felt weak and had tremors, like one gets after using Albuterol (an asthma medication) or has a lot of caffeine. Also, my lower legs were cramping a little, like I needed to give them a good stretching. It was a good enough excuse not to lift weights at lunchtime.

Could this have been heat cramps? I thought I had hydrated enough. I made it a point to keep drinking fluids throughout the day, so I know I'm not dehydrated now. I don't think it was low blood sugar (I'm not diabetic, but have had a few episodes of hypoglycemia in the past). I've also thought it could be an electrolyte imbalance.

I guess I thought heat cramps or an electrolyte imbalance would be unmistakeable. Would do you think?

2006-07-13 7:50 AM
in reply to: #480888

User image

Veteran
Mobile, Alabama
Subject: RE: Heat cramps?
Sometimes I get like that if I don't get a good nights sleep the night before. Also make sure you get something to eat before you work out (the dinner the night before is long gone). It could have been the start of heat cramps/dehydration. View the thread on here about calf cramps.
2006-07-13 9:01 AM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
Hi - you may just need to stretch more -- remember stretching is important. Also, it looks as if you haven't been training that long so it may just that the work out was a good one and nothing more in terms of heat exhaustion etc...
Drink another bunch of water within an hour of biking/running etc.. to replenish the fluids lost in the sweatfest.
2006-07-13 12:10 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

It could be electrolytes - like maybe you needed salt.

It also could be that you needed to eat.  Did you eat afterwards and replenish some calories?  It sounds like you worked out and then you worked didn't eat something - the trembles and stuff - definitely could be the fact that your body needed food.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heat cramps? Rss Feed