General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Live GPS tracking Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-12 10:37 AM

Boise
Subject: Live GPS tracking
I am looking into a device that friends and family can track my progress in my first 70.3.   "My Athlete Live" is one that I am thinking of.  Anyone tried these things and have any experience or suggestions with it/them?

2013-05-12 2:31 PM
in reply to: #4738609

Subject: RE: Live GPS tracking
I'm planning to just toss my iphone in a spibelt, and let my wife use the find my iphone app.  Obviously not applicable to the swim, lol.
2013-05-12 5:22 PM

User image

Got my athlete live for IM FL. Worked great.

I bought a Garmin GTU10 thinking it would be excellent for just such occasions.

Went to the Nation's Tri and the Garmin site only said "Too many connections, try again later" the whole race.

2013-05-13 12:53 PM
in reply to: #4738865

User image

Master

DanielG - 2013-05-12 5:22 PM Got my athlete live for IM FL. Worked great. I bought a Garmin GTU10 thinking it would be excellent for just such occasions. Went to the Nation's Tri and the Garmin site only said "Too many connections, try again later" the whole race.

I have used it many times at IM's and marathons. Love the GTU!

2013-05-14 6:43 AM

User image

Regular

if you've got a smartphone have a look at Glympse

Haven't worked out how to get past 4hrs yet but I'm sure it's possible. There's loads of other apps out there too.

2013-05-14 2:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA

My family was able to track me on the bike using my Garmin 510 paired to my iPhone. They said it worked great and it allowed them to go back to the hotel after the swim and keep out of the rain. They were able to see when I was close to the finish and watch me into T2.

The Garmin does the tracking and just sends updates through the iPhone so you are not using the GPS on the phone which might kill your battery in a ~3+hr ride.

2013-05-14 2:04 PM
in reply to: #4740090

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
jhouse4 - 2013-05-13 1:53 PM

DanielG - 2013-05-12 5:22 PM Got my athlete live for IM FL. Worked great. I bought a Garmin GTU10 thinking it would be excellent for just such occasions. Went to the Nation's Tri and the Garmin site only said "Too many connections, try again later" the whole race.

I can't believe I haven't seen that yet. I'm thinking that would be cool to hide on your bike somewhere so if it gets stolen you could track it back down.

2013-05-15 6:49 PM

User image

I downloaded Glympse yesterday and so far, it's far better than find my iPhone app I had been using. It's free and it even tells the person watching you how fast you are going.
2013-09-26 5:12 AM
in reply to: mcfly6667

User image

I use LocaToWeb which is a real time tracker that enables my family to follow me while sporting. Your friends can pick up the track from on http://locatoweb.com and watch you live. There they see your exact location and track line as well as duration, speed and altitude.
The web site also stores your tracks in an archive under your account. Using the app you can be as anonymous as you like since you track under an Alias, and you can even set the tracks to be private (not visible to everyone).

If you put the mobile in a waterproof plastic bag you can even wear it while swimming. The app has as a a timer start function so that you can click Start in due time before the swim in order to have time to put it in the bag and seal it up.
It's available for for Android, iPhone and Windows Phone 8 and you find it on http://locatoweb.com.
2013-09-27 5:52 AM
in reply to: wolfador

User image

Originally posted by wolfador

jhouse4 - 2013-05-13 1:53 PM

I can't believe I haven't seen that yet. I'm thinking that would be cool to hide on your bike somewhere so if it gets stolen you could track it back down.

I'll sell you mine for $110 shipped. With carrying bag.

That's open to everyone.

2013-09-27 7:14 PM
in reply to: mcfly6667

New user
Bonney Lake
I have used the My Athlete many times and never had an issue. It works great and then anyone can log in and see where your at, how long it might be before you get to them, how fast you are going etc. Complaints from my wife are on the run. It seems to not be able to estimate my run very well, but she has a real good idea of where I am and if I am on the move or trying to be on the move Of course like most of these things its also based on the cell service in the area. I did a tri where I went off the radar for a bit and then was back in t2 before my wife expected me because the device did not pick me back up right away when i was back in service range. I like the My Athlete. The customer service is great and I find it easy to use.

2013-11-13 10:23 PM
in reply to: edawno

Regular
Fort Rucker, Alabama
I would just add my .02 cents and say that my athlete live has some excellent service. I had priced out their tracker and had set up shipping to my parents house near Tempe, AZ and stepped away from the computer. When I came back, the shopping cart had timed out so I re-entered my billing info and forgot to have it shipped to an alternate address. The guys at myathlete caught my mistake and instead of shipping to my house in WA where I wouldn't have gotten it in time for the race, they called and got the correct shipping address. I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but so far I am very impressed with the company.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Live GPS tracking Rss Feed