Endurance Sports Management
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 21m 49s
Overall Rank = 1/95
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/13
Pre-race routine:

Coffee and clif bar on the drive to the race, gel 15 minutes before the start.
Event warmup:

Got in the water and swam back and forth for a while, probably total of a couple hundred yards.
Swim
  • 12m 18s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 24s / 100 yards
Comments:

Lined up to the inside front and planned to go out moderately hard just to get clear of any contact. Started the race well and soon found myself on my own with what appeared to be empty water to the front. Each time I sighted I looked for arms and caps ahead but none to be found. Am I really going to come out of the water 1st? That would be a "first" for me haha.

Rounded the first buoy (90 degree turn) and stole a peek back; there was a pack behind me by 20-30 yards but I didn't look directly behind. Decided to back off the pace a bit and go into cruise mode. Moderate effort, breath every stroke, sighting around every eighth.

Rounded the next buoy and headed down the long leg of the rectangle. Halfway down I passed the physically challenged swimmer (blind) and his guide that started in front of us... he was going really well!

The last 1/3 of the swim was pretty uneventful and it really looked like I was going to come into T1 with a good lead. Relaxed a little more as I neared the finish as I started thinking about the MONSTER hill I would have to run up to get into T1.

Came out of the water and the announcer called out my name in #1; pretty cool feeling.
Transition 1
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

Here is where a couple things started to go wrong...

I had my Garmin set up for multisport mode so I could push the button to start and end each transition. For some reason when I pushed the button after the swim it immediately went into bike mode. Got my wetsuit down around my waist running up the beach, then hit the HILL! Wow... don't know the grade or length but there's no way I could have ridden a bike up it. Did my best to slowly jog up without pegging my HR.

While I was trying to figure out what happened I forgot to put the dang thing on my wrist so lost about 10 seconds doing that after I got to my bike. Wetsuit came off without any major issues, helmet and glasses on and I was on my way.
What would you do differently?:

Put on Garmin running to T1 rather than after I get to the bike. Not have an issue with multisport mode.
Bike
  • 45m 21s
  • 17 miles
  • 22.49 mile/hr
Comments:

I guess since this was my first tri of the season it's good to get all my mistakes done early. As I came out of T1 I jumped on the bike just fine and tried to pedal up to speed, but the parking lot was so full of gravel and broken pavement that I struggled to get momentum. There's a climb starting immediately at the end of the parking lot and I only managed to get 1 foot into my shoes. Oh well guess i'll put my other foot in at the top.

Hit the seam (bump) between the old pavement and the new asphalt starting the climb, and launched my only water bottle off the bike. Not going without liquid so I stopped... nice volunteer got it before I could hobble over (thanks!!!) and I went ahead and put my other foot into the shoe.

Now... anyone ever started on a steep hill with clip-in pedals? Hahaha had to laugh at myself as I must have looked pretty foolish leading the race and struggling to get going on the bike.

After that fiasco I settled in for the ride and just tried to keep the effort level even and keep my eyes peeled for the course signs and where I needed to turn. I still hadn't seen another racer and it was getting sort of lonely.

I had no idea about my average pace since my Garmin "bike" started at the swim exit, but at least had a pretty good estimate of distance.

Even though I didn't drive the course ahead, the signs weren't too tough to spot. Took the hills at a medium effort and stood every now and then for some variety. Before too long I came back to the park entrance and knew I only had a couple more (hilly) miles to ride back to T2.

Blew past the first turn inside the park... oops. I realized my mistake pretty quickly and turned around, but probably lost 20-30 seconds. Called back to the volunteer sitting there asking if that was where I needed to go, and he seemed unsure. I went with it.

Cut the effort back in the last mile or so to get ready for the run. Took my feet out of the shoes waaaaaaay too early as I misremembered the end of the course.

Quite a bit.
Transition 2
  • 02m
Comments:

Coasted in, swung my leg over and had a good dismount. Got into T2 well, racked the bike and put on my shoes/socks. Really hilly run coming up + first tri of the season didn't want to go sockless. Had a little trouble getting the little rocks off the soles of my feet but no biggie.

Grabbed visor and race belt and out I went. Oops, missed the 180 degree turn out of transition onto the run course haha.
Run
  • 19m 39s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

One cool thing about this course is you get a great look at your competition. The run and bike courses share the same road, so as I started up the first hill I saw 2nd OA come in on the bike. Felt pretty good at that point that unless he was a smoking fast 5k runner I could hold him off.

Up hill down hill etc. Went through the turnaround and ran a little over .25 mile before 2nd OA went past. I figured if he was running 6m/m I had about 3 minutes on him.

Managed my pace on the hills and took advantage of the downhills. I did have my Garmin for run pace since I waited until coming out of T2 before I hit the lap button.

Rolled down the final hill into the transition / finish parking lot and kicked it in. Lots of spectators lined up on the side and it felt great to hear them cheer me on!

Finished and started walking back up the run course and cheered for the next finishers as well as the people finishing the bike and going out for the run.

The run went pretty well.
Post race
Warm down:

Jogged an easy 2 miles with some new found buddies.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing really limited my ability, but I definitely made some mistakes. From the Garmin issues to missed turns to lost equipment I probably could have improved my finish time. What's strange is I tested my Garmin with auto multisport again after the race and it worked fine... strange.

Ironically, the race timing crashed as well so the splits aren't accurate... it shows me with 2.5 minutes T1 but due to the length and steepness of the hill I think it was longer. Somehow I spent zero time in T2, I was about 40 seconds faster on the run than my garmin, and who knows about the bike. The total race time is accurate though.

Event comments:

So stoked to get my first 1st overall finish!!! I know it's a small local race but still felt great! Fun and challenging course. Very low key atmosphere. A little rough around the edges.

Great awards; I got a plaque for 1st OA plus a mug and ceramic spoon with the race logo, plus a 32 serving tub of HEED. AG podiums got a mug and certificate with finishing place.

Lots of swag (compared to number of participants) handed out at the awards ceremony; I came away with a certificate for one free Rudy Project item of my choice: sunglass, helmet, cycling gear, or bag.

Last updated: 2013-04-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:18 | 880 yards | 01m 24s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/13
Overall: 0/95
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Rectangular lake course; lake swim.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:30
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:45:21 | 17 miles | 22.49 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course: Loop course around the roads outside the park. Couple decent cat5 climbs and lots of smaller hills. It was advertised as "rolling" but I would consider that where you can maintain momentum. This was decently hilly.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:19:39 | 03.11 miles | 06m 19s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Hilly out and back.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-05-12 2:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Iron Nugget Sprint Triathlon

(Nugget.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Nugget.JPG (46KB - 23 downloads)

2013-05-12 3:26 PM
in reply to: #4738769

User image

Master
Bedford, MA
Subject: RE: Iron Nugget Sprint Triathlon
Awesome work! Welcome to the club, now keep it going in your next race!
2013-05-12 3:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
Very nice! Soak it in.
2013-05-12 3:40 PM

User image

Expert

That's just awesome. Congrats!!!

Also, great RR. 

2013-05-12 4:37 PM

User image

New user
KY
Congratulations!  It is so much pressure to find yourself in the lead.  Great that you had opportunities to see where the 2nd place was.  Nicely done and cool swag!
2013-05-12 5:27 PM

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Not half bad for a first tri of the season. 

2013-05-12 7:17 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Great job!  Totally loved reading your RR and all the little "mistakes" that you were able to laugh off along the way.  You held it together well!
2013-05-13 5:36 AM
in reply to: #4738966

User image

New user
South Central PA
Great job!  Fantastic way to start your Tri year. That was fun reading your race report. 
2013-05-13 9:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thanks everyone!!!
2013-05-13 12:33 PM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Congrats, GREAT peformance!
2013-05-13 1:14 PM

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Congrats bud!!  I have yet to get an Overall placement.  Twice I've been in the top 5, but alas... no overall hardware.

Couple of comments:  The SWAG sounds like a great race by itself!!!

Regarding the Garmin issues:  did you have "Include Transitions" box checked?  If not then the timing error could be explained.  If you did have it checked, then I would call Garmin and they usually have the answer right away.

Great job again!

Edited by siouxcityhawk 2013-05-13 1:15 PM

2013-05-13 1:32 PM
in reply to: #4740149

User image

Congrats! What  a fun accomplishment! Thanks for sharing with the rest of us. Solid performance in all three.
2013-05-14 12:26 AM
in reply to: #4740149

User image

Extreme Veteran
siouxcityhawk - 2013-05-13 1:14 PM

Regarding the Garmin issues:  did you have "Include Transitions" box checked?  If not then the timing error could be explained.  If you did have it checked, then I would call Garmin and they usually have the answer right away. 

I did have the box checked.  After the race I cleared the garmin and did another run through just to see if it would happen again.  Strange thing is it worked fine that time.

Also, when I came home and attempted to upload to garmin connect, none of the 3 activities would work.  I got an error message the first attempt.  I tried a manual upload after that and the activities weren't visible.  I can still view the swim and run activities in the watch.  My cooldown run uploaded fine though.  

Not sure if garmin will help me as it's a 305 and starting to be kind of old school.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Iron Nugget Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed