Wakeman Charities, Inc.
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 21m 34s
Overall Rank = 80/196
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 9/28
Pre-race routine:

Picked up a nasty little cold on Wednesday; and felt pretty rough Friday. Took some Nyquil and hit the rack; woke up at 4:30 and never really got back to sleep. Up at 6 and out the door on time at 6:40 - the park is like less than 10 mins at my house. Was feeling amazing ok given how stopped up I was on Friday. Truly a miracle
Event warmup:

Its a big race for my local tri - club; had a team picture and stretch. Was suppose to meet a buddy but he never showed (he was running very late); got a little bit of a run in in and fely very good. Got the wet suit on and hit the lake - did I mention the chop running right into our faces on the swim out with the north wind?
Swim
  • 15m 54s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

Truly a rough swim - the chop was right into our faces; took a wave right on my head as I breathing about 200 m out - had to take a few breast strokes to rlax. Got caught behind some real slow swimmers at the start. Had a hard time navigating the second turn buoy and caught up to someone right at the buoy. My swim time was faster than last year but it does not reflect the difference this year than last
What would you do differently?:

Get in front; I am stronger swimmer than others.
Transition 1
  • 01m 54s
Comments:

First time ever with a wetuit; came off ok. The Bike start is uphill so took my time coming up to speed. The time was much slower than last yeat but I was pretty whipped after the swim. The swim was much harder than last year
Bike
  • 35m 56s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 20.76 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike which is my true strength in triathlon is not as strong as last year; focused on swimming and running plus the cold spring means less actual seat time. I was overall faster this year then last with a worse bike and worse conditions.

Passed a ton of folks and passed by one - weird race in that about 7 miles in I was by myself for a good 2 plus miles - became more like a TT than a tri - and think that made my time a little slower.

Need some more miles but bike felt good. Again it would have more people to race.
Transition 2
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

It was ok - not great but ok.
Run
  • 26m 42s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt very good on the run - strong and had good legs to kick at the end. I actually passed more than passed me for a change. This run course is intimidating to me and the fact that I was minute faster than last year was really encouraging to me

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

It was hot - water tasted great. Got a massage from out tri-club tent - loosen my hip up which was really tight.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My cold and the drugs I was on - but I performed ok. The conditions were the issue.

Event comments:

This race was much faster this year - much tougher competition on top of the race this year versus last. Well organized and run - the course is good if not a little challenging.

Would have finished 3rd in the MC category this year where the same time last year was second; good example of how much faster it was. But my AG was slower overall. Good race which I enjoy

Last updated: 2013-05-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:54 | 820 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/28
Overall: 91/196
Performance: Average
Suit: Wetsuit
Course: its a dogleg (shorter out then in) - the chop and wind had the buuys moving around. I cur inside of every non turn buoy
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:54
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:35:56 | 12.43 miles | 20.76 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/28
Overall: 60/196
Performance:
Garmin had me at 21.2 MPH - max HR wasr 165 with average at 152
Wind: Strong
Course: Technical with two turnarounds; the second was very tight and really eats into the speed
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:09
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:42 | 03.11 miles | 08m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/28
Overall: 0/196
Performance: Good
Course: Pretty hilly - first two miles are pretty much up and down. Then half a mile of flat then all downhill
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %2
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes