General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rib injury question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-12 9:45 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: Rib injury question
I was running on local single track yesterday and tripped on a root, then landed on another root on my rib cage. Once I gathered myself back together, I tried to run again and had shooting pain in my ribs and it felt like something was loose in there. Walked a bit, tried again, then gave up. Ended up walking a half mile or so back to my car holding my right rib cage for support.

Googled it and decided it was no big deal (and it's not). This morning I had that feeling there was something in there like when you have a chest cold and need to hack something out but coughing was unproductive. Taking deep breaths and moving around was uncomfortable but not overly painful (maybe a 3 on the pain scale). Since I'm flying tomorrow, thought I should get it checked out. I'm not one to go to the doc, so when I start wondering if I should go, I know I should have gone yesterday :-).

X-rays were all clear. I fell on the soft cartalidge ribs and the doc said if they were cracked or broken he wouldn't necessarily see them on X-rays. Said that if they still hurt bad in a week, I broke them and if they are better in days, I bruised them. Treatment is the same either way and he said I could run as long as I could tolerate the pain.

Tried to go for a 5k easy run to see how they felt and quit after 9 seconds. Sharp shooting pain (7-8 on the pain scale) and quit.

Long intro to my question. If you've bruised your ribs in the past, how long did it take until you could run? How about if you cracked them? Or broke them?

Thanks.

2013-06-02 7:51 PM
in reply to: ransick

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)
Subject: RE: Rib injury question
I know this is kind of an old thread and I hope you are all healed up. I'm dealing with a broken rib right now and have time to do a lot of Internet reading...

I was running on a paved trail and my foot found the ONLY rock on the path. Down I went. It hurt really bad, but I had to get back to the gym, so I went on. The next night when I was getting into bed, I felt/heard a crunch. Then it hurt really really bad. I went for an x-ray and it is broken. Probably was not as bad until I heard the crunch.

Pain management is the only thing they can do. That was 2.5 weeks ago and it's doing better. They expect 6 weeks to heal completely. I plan to try running again on Wednesday.
2013-06-02 8:31 PM
in reply to: rowdypaint

User image

New user
I broke one that wasn't totally ok for about 6 weeks. I separated two and it was about the same recovery time. I bruised one and it hurt for 4 weeks. The main issue was breathing deep. I could run earlier, but not at my fastest paces.
2013-06-02 8:54 PM
in reply to: Tracker09

User image

Master
St. Louis
I was able to run after two weeks. They are still a little sore after three weeks. I cleared down trees for a half a day yesterday and they were aching by the time I was done, but no sharp pain. Based on that I think I just.bruised them. Hope you heal up quick!
2013-06-05 11:47 AM
in reply to: ransick

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)
So today is 3 weeks on this broken rib. I ran a bit this morning and it wasn't awful. I will work on slowly bringing back the running. Swimming will probably be the hardest to get back, but I'm not too worried about that. Glad to know that the end is in sight for this.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rib injury question Rss Feed