General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Quintana Roo's The Sports Barn Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-07-12 7:46 PM

User image

chattanooga
Subject: Quintana Roo's The Sports Barn Sprint Triathlon
Hi, I am planning on doing this race for the 2nd time. I did not do well last year, and I am hoping to do better this year. My only problem is that I still can't swim past 100 yards-I have very little endurance swimming even though I can run and bike for 2-3+ hours without much trouble. Any suggestions? Or should I start panicking now?

2006-07-16 9:39 PM
in reply to: #481001

User image

Suwanee
Subject: RE: Quintana Roo's The Sports Barn Sprint Triathlon
I'm sure you'll do fine. You've got plenty of time to work up to it. And at least you have a base in the other sports. I'm starting all three at once.

Anyways, I've got my own question. I've watched my mom participate in a triathlon and my whole family was there to cheer her on. The issue is that her race have the same trasition area for T1 and T2. Since our bike is one way, what is the best way my family can watch me? I was thinking they could watch the swim start and then drive to the T2/finish area. Any other suggestions?
2006-07-17 8:33 AM

User image

chattanooga
Since the transitions are spread apart, the best way is for your family to see you off at the lake, and then ride Amnicola to downtown to see you at the finish. My family probably won't be able to be there so I will have to bike back to the lake to get my vehicle and pick up any thing I left in the transition area. I don't want to lose my goggle or my swim cap and I am trying to think of how I can pack them up with me to take on the bike.
Good luck-you will do great!!
2006-07-19 1:19 PM

User image

Hi - I'm doing the race too. It'll only be my third tri and the first where the transition area's are seperate. Seems like it would be best that our family's would watch the swim start and then drive downtown for the finish.

As far as no swimming endurance, I had the same problem. I can only recommend getting in the pool as much as possible. It's a short swim so you should be okay if you can get to the pool 3x's a week before then. Other than that, just mix in different swim strokes so you can make it. That's what I did at this past Sunday's race.

Good luck!
2006-07-23 7:21 AM

New user

Hi! This will be my first tri and I think about it all the time. I have no experience in triathlon but I have watched my friend do it which encouraged me to tri.

As far transition, I am thinking I can put my swim cap and goggles at the little pouch attached at the back of my bike saddle and not have to worry about coming back to T1. I am still thinking about the towel for my feet after the swim. Maybe I'll use a disposable wipes. I can trash them at the pouch as well.

Not have swim endurance as well. Very slow in running and riding the bike. Plus I paused training for a week while family was visiting. I just hope to finish!

I do not have family anywhere close but hoping my friends would watch. Watching the race start at amnicola then driving to downtown makes sense.

Good luck to all!
2006-07-23 2:23 PM
in reply to: #490258

User image

chattanooga
Good idea about swim cap and goggles. You will do fine in your first triathlon. Try to keep a sense of fun about it, at least that is what I hope I can do during it. It stays on my mind all the time, especially the swimming part. I have been trying really hard to swim several days a week, but it is in a pool and not in open water. There will be friendly kayakers out there and you can grab onto their boats to catch your breath if you need to-that will be me hanging on, so wave as you swim by.
Good luck everyone!

2006-07-24 9:05 PM

User image

Master
Woodstock
The good news is the swim is the shortest duration and distance in the race. my first triathlon i just kept a relaxed and consistent pace and managed to survive and even have a respectable time in the ows- plenty of time to make it up in the bike and run portion. This looks like a flat and fast course so I am looking forward to see how my bike and run times improve from the rolling and hilly course at indian springs earlier this year- The transitions make me nervous- I know I will forget something important like running shoes or a helmet .
2006-08-01 3:14 AM

User image

Suwanee
So I'm totally ready for this tri to be THIS weekend, not two weeks from now. I don't know what it's going to be like to really compete, but I feel like mentally I'm ready to do it. I just hope my body will respond in kind.

But I was wondering if anyone will be doing any open water swim training before the tri. I've got this coming Friday through next Wednesday off from work and would love to work in a few open water swims with someone. My roommate is also racing, but we'd just be two floundering guys swimming out and back.

If not, I hope to meet a few of you during the tri. I'll be the only guy on a pink bike. I could try and be manly, but let's face it, "salmon" is just another word for "pink." Good luck with all your training.
2006-08-01 9:06 AM
in reply to: #498997

User image

chattanooga
Would anyone be interested in meeting around lunchtime out there to swim (I will be floundering). I work almost directly across the highway up on the hill at TVA and I usually use my lunchtime to work out, and I really need to practice open water swimming. Most of my swimtime is in the pool at the YMCA. I will be out of town on Friday, but I will be back on Monday, Aug. 7th.
2006-08-02 8:13 AM
in reply to: #499196

New user

I need to try the open water too but I'm only available after 6pm on weekdays and anytime on weekends. I would certainly be interested to meet with a group there to try. Seems like our schedules don't jive.

Oh, well... I still do not have the swim endurance but might as well tri...

See you all race day!
2006-08-02 2:53 PM

User image

Suwanee
Like I said, I can do it any time/day between this Friday and next Wednesday. My roommate is only able to do it earlier in the day. Anybody who wants to go (I assume to the area just downstream of the dam where we'll be swimming) just needs to send me a message and we'll work something out.

Good luck all.

-Tim

2006-08-04 3:28 AM
in reply to: #500238

User image

Suwanee
Actually, it's looking like Friday through Monday is the only time I'm free all day. After Monday I'd have to do it later in the day like Cheforts. But Monday would work for lunchtime aemmom, so let me know if you'd like to try going then. Either of you guys can just PM me and I'll give you my # so we can work out a time to swim.
2006-08-17 4:36 AM

User image

Chattanooga, TN
Well, How did everyone do in the Sports Barn Race?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Quintana Roo's The Sports Barn Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed