General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What front wheel to choose? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-05-15 11:47 PM
in reply to: #4741009

User image

Sioux Falls, SD
Subject: RE: What front wheel to choose?
tri808 - 2013-05-13 9:44 PM

If it were me, I'd save up and get a FLO60 front when funds become available.  Who knows...by then you might start to see used FLOs on the market for

The reason I would do this is because I know I'm in the sport long term and if I'm going to buy a front race wheel, I may as well buy the one I want the first time.  I also don't care for carbon braking surfaces for triathlon.  I rather have the added weight and an aluminum brake track.

I completely agree with tri808.  I'd save up for a Flo60 up front. I have Flo's on my bike and love them.  the 60mm rim is much faster for me in the winds of the plains than an 90mm front.  As tri808 said they are a heavier rim, but is durable enough to be an everyday wheel.  They make Clydesdale rims too.  You can't find them used yet but you could probably afford a new one next year for under $500.

2013-05-16 10:52 AM
in reply to: #4742166

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
fubar44 - 2013-05-14 3:07 PM

^If I need a custom built Clydesdale rim does that pretty much mean I am going to have to save and buy a new one or is there any other cheaper options/rims like a Hed 3 or similar that are "bomb proof" enough to work (although a previous poster discouraged a hed 3)? I know that the words custom built and very expensive are often synonymous

Please don't think I am just cheap, I am still in college so money is tight at the moment but I do want to upgrade my bike as much as possible with the funds that I have saved. I already spend most of what I have saved on the bike so now I'm trying to do small upgrades with what is left. I'm sure many here on BT have been here and done this before and so you understand where I'm coming from when I say that I'm trying to upgrade on a budget.

PS thanks to all who have chimed in already!

I'm a bigger guy too, and very well could be wrong, but I think the Clydesdale build of wheels is more important when it comes to rear wheels since that's where most of your weight will be.

2013-05-16 12:14 PM
in reply to: #4744709

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove
buckeyeguy77 - 2013-05-15 11:47 PM
tri808 - 2013-05-13 9:44 PM

If it were me, I'd save up and get a FLO60 front when funds become available.  Who knows...by then you might start to see used FLOs on the market for

The reason I would do this is because I know I'm in the sport long term and if I'm going to buy a front race wheel, I may as well buy the one I want the first time.  I also don't care for carbon braking surfaces for triathlon.  I rather have the added weight and an aluminum brake track.

I completely agree with tri808.  I'd save up for a Flo60 up front. I have Flo's on my bike and love them.  the 60mm rim is much faster for me in the winds of the plains than an 90mm front.  As tri808 said they are a heavier rim, but is durable enough to be an everyday wheel.  They make Clydesdale rims too.  You can't find them used yet but you could probably afford a new one next year for under $500.

^^^This

Flo has Clydesdales... save for the 60

2013-05-16 12:15 PM
in reply to: #4739732

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Shane, would running a HED3 rear potentially be faster at some speeds then a disk cover rear?
2013-05-16 1:16 PM
in reply to: #4739732

User image

Regular
Evansville, Indiana
So I think I will just keep saving...seems to be the general consensus anyway. Night before last I just realized a crack in my front rim so a buddy of mine gave me a shimano R500 with bladed spokes that was a take off of his trek speed concept 7. So I guess I'm going to run that until I save up enough to buy what I really want. I figure if its good enough for a trek SC then it's good enough for me.....for now anyway. As far as my rear I am running a DT swiss 465 32 spoke count, working great so far. As soon as I get paid again I'm ordering the aerojacket for it. Should be a good enough set up to get me through my first couple of season I hope!?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What front wheel to choose? Rss Feed  

of 3