General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lesson learned, also sprts med doc needed Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-13 12:06 PM

Subject: Lesson learned, also sprts med doc needed

Attempted to do the season opener yesterday. First cold water, wetsuit swim. Made the mistake of not swimming in the lake well before the race to know what to expect. Was comfortable in my wetsuit and the cold didn't bother me, except I guess for my ears. Could not swim, kept getting really dizzy. Went from being FOP swimmer to just getting out of the water on my own. That was the end of my day. Never even got onto the bike. Humiliating experience. I guess ear plugs may have helped.

I also need a sports med doctor in the metrowest area. Anyone have any recommendations?

2013-05-13 12:37 PM
in reply to: #4739994

Subject: RE: Lesson learned, also sprts med doc needed
Dr Busconi out of Worcester is AWESOME! He's part of the UMASS Sports medicine clinic out of Hanneman Hospital. He also has an office in Westboro.

Hope this helps.

Bummer about the race yesterday - super cold water, one of the reason I don't do tris in May!
2013-05-14 8:31 PM

User image

New user
Holliston

What race was this?

I am scheduled to compete in my first triathlon on June 2nd (Holliston) and your experience is exactly what I am worried about.

Where did you get a wetsuit?

Do you think cold water in your ears made you dizzy?

George

2013-05-15 6:09 AM
in reply to: #4742751

Season opener in Hopkinton. Found some posts and articles that said some people get dizzy when water is colder than 65. Effects the inner ears. Earplugs may have helped. I also bought a neoprene cap which may have helped. If I had actually did a practice swim outside the week before, I would have discovered this problem. Now, I know. I bought my wetsuit at fast splits in newton. Fits perfectly.
2013-05-15 7:32 AM
in reply to: #4743019

User image

New user
Holliston

Thanks for the reply Holly1215.

Based on your response in another thread, looks like we are both in Holliston.

Are you going to compete in the Holliston tri?

In terms of a doc, I have been seeing Dr. Pongor in Marlboro.  He did a good job scoping my knee two years ago and will need to do it again (as soon as I am willing to go back under the knife - for the 6th time on this knee).

George

2013-05-15 6:06 PM

User image

I have seen Dr Hangen at same place, he has actually done several Ironman's. He has seen me twice after bike crashes. It's called Orthopaedic Associates of Marlborough at www.orthomarlborough.com 

I also did the season opener in Hopkinton but did the du. Crazy torrential rain on the bike! May's tooo cold for me even w/wetsuit!

Good luck! 

Joy

2013-05-15 6:19 PM
in reply to: #4743090

Can't do the Holliston race this year, family coming to visit. May do the Ashland race instead. Thanks for the info on doctors. Moved up here last year and finding good doctors has not been the easiest thing to do
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lesson learned, also sprts med doc needed Rss Feed