General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Flo Disc Wheel Review Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-13 1:58 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: Flo Disc Wheel Review

I recently tried out my new Flo disc wheel and thought I'd share some of my observations.  I have been riding on a set of Flashpoint 60/80's which have been great wheels.  Also, riding on Vittoria Evo Corsa tires with lite butyl tubes.

First impression was noisy.  Every bump in the road translates into a snare drum type noise.  I think this is the carbon fiber flexing and banging on the internal spokes.  Very annoying.  I did not have the valve cutouts taped so maybe that will help a bit.

The cutouts are good sized and allow me to use a standard tire pump so no need for fumbling with a crackpipe.  I put butyl tires in so they would hold air better but given how easy they are to refill I'll switch to latex.

They look great.

Now the important part.  They are noticeably faster than my FP80's which are like an older non-dimpled 808.  I have a 5 mile loop that I do near my house.  I frequently do a 4 lap workout because it is so convenient.  End of last year, I finally cracked 20 mph average for the 20 miler.  First time on the road after being on the trainer all winter a few weeks ago I averaged 20.2 mph.  Next workout backed off a tad and was at 19.8.  On the Flo, I averaged 20.9 mph.  Conditions for all three rides were similar.  That is a pretty significant increase for me.  Overall, so far a thumbs up for this wheel.

2013-05-13 2:43 PM
in reply to: #4740252

User image

Elite
Cleveland
Subject: RE: Flo Disc Wheel Review

Did you ever ride the FP80 with a Wheelbuilder cover, and if so, how does that compare to the actual disc wheel?

2013-05-13 3:03 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
popsracer - 2013-05-13 1:58 PM

I recently tried out my new Flo disc wheel and thought I'd share some of my observations.  I have been riding on a set of Flashpoint 60/80's which have been great wheels.  Also, riding on Vittoria Evo Corsa tires with lite butyl tubes.

First impression was noisy.  Every bump in the road translates into a snare drum type noise.  I think this is the carbon fiber flexing and banging on the internal spokes.  Very annoying.  I did not have the valve cutouts taped so maybe that will help a bit.

The cutouts are good sized and allow me to use a standard tire pump so no need for fumbling with a crackpipe.  I put butyl tires in so they would hold air better but given how easy they are to refill I'll switch to latex.

They look great.

Now the important part.  They are noticeably faster than my FP80's which are like an older non-dimpled 808.  I have a 5 mile loop that I do near my house.  I frequently do a 4 lap workout because it is so convenient.  End of last year, I finally cracked 20 mph average for the 20 miler.  First time on the road after being on the trainer all winter a few weeks ago I averaged 20.2 mph.  Next workout backed off a tad and was at 19.8.  On the Flo, I averaged 20.9 mph.  Conditions for all three rides were similar.  That is a pretty significant increase for me.  Overall, so far a thumbs up for this wheel.

So to play some devils advocate you don't give your training any recognition for the .9 mph increase? Were the trials done under the exact same measurements, same temp, wind, tires, tubes, bike, position, hydration levels, previous workouts within 24-48 hours?

Glad to see you saw improvement but I never understand why people with a speed increase they directly go to their wheel selection. I would give my engine some recognition first!

2013-05-13 4:12 PM

User image

Pro

if you really did get that much more out of just a wheel- it would be equivalent to about 30watts at 20mph

which is way more than a disc vs a flashpoint would actually buy you.

methinks thee needs to purchase a power meter as your next investment.

2013-05-13 4:38 PM
in reply to: #4740324

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
cgregg - 2013-05-13 12:43 PM

Did you ever ride the FP80 with a Wheelbuilder cover, and if so, how does that compare to the actual disc wheel?

I did.  It is gathering dust in my basement.  I did not like it because I could not get it to lay on the wheel without bulges in it.  Driveside was OK but the other wouldn't.  It could have been because of the fasteners on too tight but I didn't want to use tape.  Never really got a chance to ride on it.

2013-05-13 4:55 PM
in reply to: #4740537

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
morey000 - 2013-05-13 2:12 PM

if you really did get that much more out of just a wheel- it would be equivalent to about 30watts at 20mph

which is way more than a disc vs a flashpoint would actually buy you.

methinks thee needs to purchase a power meter as your next investment.

You are right and maybe I should have qualified my statements more.  I merely was relaying the actual numbers as I recorded them.

I did have a very significant increase in speed on my n=1 test and some of that may have been due to other factors but when I went through the list in my head I just have never ridden that fast no matter how the stars align.  I usually do not have huge variations in my average mph on this particular workout.  I did backoff my RPE a little on my second ride and I got the metric I thought I would. 

I don't think I meant to imply that I gained the entire 0.7 mph increase from the wheel but that even if I had a way to neutralize other variables I still believe I got a benefit.  Even if I really got 0.2 or 0.3 increases I think I'd be happy.

30 watts is a lot as the Flashpoint is a good wheel and has served me well.  I have chicken legs so I know I do not push a huge amount of watts.  30 would be beyond reason.  Wish I had a powermeter.  

2013-05-14 8:28 AM

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
More importantly, does it look cool, and where is the picture?
2013-05-14 9:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
popsracer - 2013-05-13 1:58 PM

First impression was noisy.  Every bump in the road translates into a snare drum type noise.  I think this is the carbon fiber flexing and banging on the internal spokes.  Very annoying. 

When was your FLO Disc made?  Did you buy it direct from FLO or secondhand?  What preorder did it come from?

The reason I ask is that there were complaints about the noise and the carbon jacket rattling against the spokes in the first couple of preorders.  They supposedly made a design change (added a thin layer of foam between the carbon and the spokes) that resolved this.  I know the FLO Discs in the most recent preorder all had the design change.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Flo Disc Wheel Review Rss Feed