General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anybody participating in the Holliston triathlon on June 2nd? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-14 8:27 PM

User image

New user
Holliston
Subject: Anybody participating in the Holliston triathlon on June 2nd?

This is going to be my first triathlon and I am getting more and more nervous about the Lake Winthrop swim.  It is going to be very cold (high 50's low 60's) and I have been swimming in a pool for all of my training.

Any advice on what to wear for the swim?

Any local places to get or rent a wetsuit?  I have never worn one before.

George

2013-05-14 9:43 PM
in reply to: #4742744

User image

Extreme Veteran
Medway, MA
Subject: RE: Anybody participating in the Holliston triathlon on June 2nd?
2013-05-14 10:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Medway, MA

George, what size are you? I have a 2XU wetsuit, size XL (180-200lbs & 5'11"-6'7") that you could loan. That way you could try it out and get comfortable well before the race. I'm in Medway.

2013-05-15 6:12 AM

I'm in holliston too. Let me know if you're interested in doing a practice swim in Winthrop. Haven't been there yet this year
2013-05-15 7:26 AM
in reply to: #4742876

User image

New user
Holliston
FlyTheBlueSky - 2013-05-14 11:10 PM

George, what size are you? I have a 2XU wetsuit, size XL (180-200lbs & 5'11"-6'7") that you could loan. That way you could try it out and get comfortable well before the race. I'm in Medway.

That is a very generous offer - thank you!  Cool

I am 6'0 tall and 200lbs, so it sounds like it could fit.

George

2013-05-15 7:28 AM
in reply to: #4743024

User image

New user
Holliston

Holly1215 - 2013-05-15 7:12 AM I'm in holliston too. Let me know if you're interested in doing a practice swim in Winthrop. Haven't been there yet this year

If I can get a wetsuit, that sounds like a good idea.

Looking online yesterday, it said the water temp was 53!!!  Surprised

I have never been in water that cold.

George

2013-05-15 8:32 AM
in reply to: #4743088

User image

Extreme Veteran
Medway, MA

George, ok. It should fit (I wore it at 215lbs). Glad to help, I'm just passing on the help given to me when I did my first triathlons (I'm looking at you, Mav!). I'll send you a PM with my contact info.

If you know what to expect with the swim, you will be fine. And I can give you some tips that helped me when I did my first triathlon too. It's mostly about getting your mind prepared so that you can relax and enjoy the experience.

hoenninger - 2013-05-15 8:26 AM
FlyTheBlueSky - 2013-05-14 11:10 PM

That is a very generous offer - thank you!  Cool

I am 6'0 tall and 200lbs, so it sounds like it could fit.

George

2013-05-23 1:21 PM
in reply to: hoenninger

User image

Extreme Veteran
I've done this tri twice. Nice small atmosphere to this race. It's a cool distance because it's slightly longer than a typical sprint. The water is shallow and usually a bit weedy. It's typically warm, but it sounds like this year is a bit different. I've been more than fine with a sleeveless wetsuit each year I've done it. If I remember correctly it's an out and back swim (I could be wrong). If it is then I remember people in the later waves crossing over to the other side, so just be aware of that. In other words they'll run into you.

The bike has some rolling hills and a fast down section as you head into the center of town. The run is one lap of the bike section in the opposite direction.

If you go with family and they want to see you after the swim, tell them to head out to the street as the only time you're in the park is in transitions.

Good Luck and have fun.
2013-05-23 7:37 PM
in reply to: TriMDC

User image

New user
Holliston
Originally posted by TriMDC

I've done this tri twice. Nice small atmosphere to this race. It's a cool distance because it's slightly longer than a typical sprint. The water is shallow and usually a bit weedy. It's typically warm, but it sounds like this year is a bit different. I've been more than fine with a sleeveless wetsuit each year I've done it. If I remember correctly it's an out and back swim (I could be wrong). If it is then I remember people in the later waves crossing over to the other side, so just be aware of that. In other words they'll run into you.

The bike has some rolling hills and a fast down section as you head into the center of town. The run is one lap of the bike section in the opposite direction.

If you go with family and they want to see you after the swim, tell them to head out to the street as the only time you're in the park is in transitions.

Good Luck and have fun.

Small atmosphere...that sounds like my town! :-)

If I wasn't nursing a knee injury, I think the 5 mile run vs. the typical 5k would be cool. But to be honest, I wish it were only a 5k.

I am going to go into the lake this weekend and see how cold the water is. I two wetsuits (lent by some nice triathletes) that I can use. One is sleeveless and the other has sleeves.

I rode the bike course (since it is literally right around the corner from me) this past weekend and covered the three loops (for a total of 15 miles) in just over 51 minutes. Not exactly fast (around 18 MPH), but not too shabby for my first ride outside this year. On the downhill heading into town I peaked at 37 MPH. I could go faster, but I start to get a little nervous around that speed.

I think it will be cool to have my first triathlon be in my town and I am looking forward to seeing some friends and neighbors (as well as family) rooting me on.

I'll make sure to post a race report.

George
2013-05-24 5:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
George,

You'll do fine. You know the course well, which is an advantage. One thing to remember if it's wet, be careful taking that right hand turn onto Central St. It is very slick on the painted cross walk. The first year they repainted that I saw numerous people go down.

FYI, if you ever want to train with someone, feel free to PM me. I live in Ashland on the Holliston/Sherborn line. A lot of my rides go through Holliston at some point. OWS in Ashland Res. or in Sherborn (Farm Pond). And I do a lot of my runs over near Pinecrest CC. If you want to get longer rides in I go our to Wachusett Mnt. a couple times over the summer.

2013-05-31 8:41 PM
in reply to: FlyTheBlueSky

User image

Extreme Veteran
Medway, MA
I swam Farm Pond in Sherborn today; the short story is that is was too warm for a wetsuit - unless you want the wetsuit for extra flotation/speed. I expect Winthrop to be the same. Have a good race everyone!

2013-06-01 6:35 AM

User image

New user
Holliston
Thanks for the feedback.

I finally tried on the wetsuit yesterday...it fits! :-)

I am going to Lake Winthrop today and will see how things go.

George
2013-06-01 8:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Medway, MA
Great, You'll get extra speed with the suit...
2013-06-02 11:21 AM

User image

New user
Holliston
Well I can now say that I am a triathlete!!! :-)

While I didn't exactly light up the course...I finished 83 out of around 110 or 115 people with a time of 2:23.

My swim time was better than I expected and my bike was spot on, but the 5 mile run kicked my ! :-(

I was only able to maintain a 12 minute/mile pace (due to lots of walking).

Great experience and super friendly people at the race.

Thanks again to Rory for lending me the wet suit. I did wind up wearing it and I am sure it helped with my time.

I'll post my splits later today or tomorrow. Now I need to ice up and drink a beer or two.

Next up...Ashland Sprint in two weeks.

George
2013-06-06 2:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

George - congratulations!!!! 

I was there, as well - wish we'd planned to say "hey" at the race.  Next time!

The run was rough, IMO, as well - a little hilly and, more, definitely warm and humid.

Great atmosphere and one I'll likely do again.

My RR is here:  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-view-container.asp?raceid=248548 

Glad you enjoyed it!

Matt

2013-06-06 3:16 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

New user
Holliston
Matt,

Glad I wasn't the only one struggling with the run. ;-)

That link isn't working.

What's your next race?

Mine is the Ashland Sprint on 6/16.

George

2013-06-06 4:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Medway, MA
Hey George - congrats!
2013-06-07 10:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by hoenninger Matt, Glad I wasn't the only one struggling with the run. ;-) That link isn't working. What's your next race? Mine is the Ashland Sprint on 6/16. George

Hmmmmm...  The link works for me, but I wonder if it's still a "draft," as BT has the date of the race wrong (9th, not 2nd).  Prolly can search reports, but you already know what's in there (I swam, I biked, I ranWink

My next race is end of the month in VT.  June 30 Tri-Fest in Farleigh/Fairley/something like that - about 30' north of Norwich and near Dartmouth, I think.  Wanted to do Cohasset, and that just opened up (I was early on the wait list, having missed a spot by minutes on the day it opened), but I was already committed to the Oly in VT and have a family long weekend there planned around it.

Good luck in Ashland!  I've heard good things about the race, but haven't done it.

Best,

Matt

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anybody participating in the Holliston triathlon on June 2nd? Rss Feed