General Discussion Triathlon Talk » CapTex Tri thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-05-27 8:12 PM
in reply to: GomesBolt

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
Subject: RE: CapTex Tri thread

Originally posted by GomesBolt Yeah good job out there Paul. I had a bad day from the start. I was swimming zig zags the whole time, then I was barfing up my water most of the day. Cool race though. Is it always that hard to navigate the transition?

This was the first time since I've been doing the race (5 years) that they had the racks set up north/south as opposed to east/west.  I actually liked the racking better this year.  It is definitely a cumbersome transition from the water to the bike mount area, especially with so many people. 

If you liked this race, then sign up for TriRock Austin on Labor Day.  Very similar, but I like the TriRock bike course better.

2013-05-28 5:27 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
McAllen
This race was extremely fun from start to finish, but it was a weak performance from start to finish =P this whole month just backfired on me--don't know why I could ever possibly have expected to go faster than I did. this is why:

4/21 Half Ironman - new orleans
4/29-5/9 Finals at college
5/5 The Rookie Triathlon
5/18 Spartan Race
5/27 CapTex Tri

Very little rest and very few quality training sessions. Just couldn't generate any power at all on the course. It was good considering the condition I was in but I just fell apart on the run. In mint condition with a proper taper and buildup, a 2:15 might actually be very plausible. Definitely worth every penny, though!! Time to take it easy for a week then resume running and some light swimming until R-day

Finish time: 2:25:59

How'd the rest of you do?

Edited by odpaul7 2013-05-28 5:29 PM
2013-05-28 7:26 PM
in reply to: odpaul7

New user

Did anyone else think the bike was a little on the crowded side... maybe even to the point of being dangerous ? By lap 4 there were way too many people on the course, if you ask me. Downright dangerous in spots. I know going downhill behind the Capital I was seeing 34 mph and sometimes sharing space with 4 other riders... I was zooming past people going a whole lot SLOWER... and getting passed by a lot of people going a whole lot FASTER. Throw into the mess two pedestrian zones (what was up with that?) and it felt a lot like the old Frogger Arcade Game . I guess ultimately my safety is up to me, no one was forcing me to race down that hill, but it still seemed to be one of the scariest and potentially the most dangerous bikes I have done.
2013-05-28 9:46 PM
in reply to: wilky4

User image

Regular
Texas
Originally posted by wilky4

Did anyone else think the bike was a little on the crowded side... maybe even to the point of being dangerous ? By lap 4 there were way too many people on the course, if you ask me. Downright dangerous in spots. I know going downhill behind the Capital I was seeing 34 mph and sometimes sharing space with 4 other riders... I was zooming past people going a whole lot SLOWER... and getting passed by a lot of people going a whole lot FASTER. Throw into the mess two pedestrian zones (what was up with that?) and it felt a lot like the old Frogger Arcade Game . I guess ultimately my safety is up to me, no one was forcing me to race down that hill, but it still seemed to be one of the scariest and potentially the most dangerous bikes I have done.

Yes! I was riding 5 wide at one point around 25 mph. And there were several pedestrians that tried to cross at times they shouldn't have. I think maybe waiting 10-20 minutes more between the oly and sprint waves may have helped this, but who knows.
2013-05-29 9:01 AM
in reply to: baldridges

User image

I barely missed a pedestrian at one point. They were leisurely crossing the street, staring at this pack of bikes coming straight at them. They seemed in no hurry. It was definitely packed by lap 4, but I don't really have a problem navigating in big groups like that. Most of the time I was on the left passing the slower folks anyway (except for those random slow people who seemed to have no concept for how to stay to the right - I had to weave my way through a few groups). The only really hairy moment for me was on Cesar Chavez when a guy tried to avoid a bottle in the road and WAY overreacted... he missed my front wheel by inches and almost wiped himself out in the process. Thank goodness everyone around him was quick to react or he'd have taken out at least 10 people with him.

I think this is a tough race for newbies or people who aren't super confident with their bike handling skills.
2013-05-29 9:05 AM
in reply to: baldridges

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
Yes, the bike was very crowded, but it was similar to a lot of the races in Tempe.  Any time there are multiple loop courses with folks of varying speeds and experiences sharing the roads, it will be a little dicey.  I had a great time in Austin.  I thought the course/race was fun, and I had a great time in the city (but don't worry, local Austinites, I'm not planning on moving there.  ).  I raced better than I expected, especially considering an unfamiliar bike and torn meniscus.  Looking forward to putting some details in the race report. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » CapTex Tri thread Rss Feed  

of 3