General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Where's the best place to buy a bike for the best price Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-15 3:09 PM

Subject: Where's the best place to buy a bike for the best price
I am a new triathlete looking to get a road or a tri bike because I am sick of racing with a hybrid bike

2013-05-15 4:01 PM
in reply to: #4744194

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Subject: RE: Where's the best place to buy a bike for the best price

Where do you live? Are looking to buy online or through a local bike shop (LBS)?

You can probably always find a better deal online, in terms of price no matter what type and model of bike you're looking for, but you risk not having it fit correctly - something an LBS could help you with. There is also the added value of having a knowledgeable person help you through the buying process.

2013-05-16 10:39 AM
in reply to: #4744194

if you know your size etc you can find some really good deals for nearly new or very lightly used bikes for sale. If you are not sure a bike shop is probably the best bet. If you have never been fit I would recommend going to a good shot and get a fit first and then get a bike that fits you.
2013-05-25 12:03 PM
in reply to: Barkeep

i live in lawrence kansas but i really want a felt da 1 bike 2012 but i cant find anywhere and i been looking everywhere for the right bike i am sick of getting killed on the bike

i live in lawrence kansas but i really want a felt da 1 bike 2012 but i cant find anywhere and i been looking everywhere for the right bike i am sick of getting killed on the bike

2013-05-25 12:50 PM
in reply to: Jakechayes

User image

Lenexa, KS
I'd call ahead to see if they have the exact bike you're looking for, but I always go to Cycle City in Parkville. I know it's a little bit of a drive (it's 45 minutes for me from Lenexa), but Joe (the owner) Tony and the rest of the crew there always are super helpful with anything you're curious about. Just really knowledgeable staff and Joe seems to price things really competitively too.

In my opinion it's worth a little extra drive to know you're getting fit for your bike correctly and that you're going to someone who doesn't just run a business, but lives cycling like they do.

I'm fairly certain they are still carrying Felt, but I'd give 'em a call to see if they have the model you want (they can get it if they don't obviously).

Phone: (816) 587-8181
2013-05-25 1:26 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Originally posted by Jakechayes

Elite Cycling in Leawood carries Felt, I bought my Felt F75 there
2013-05-25 4:25 PM
in reply to: funkj25

yeah been looking everywhere and only one i can find for the price i want is in the uk
2013-05-26 9:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
I would at least call or stop by Elite Cycling in Leawood. I just bought a 2012 Cervelo P2 from there, instead of the 2013 frames. Jeff has access to a larger database of last year's frames. I don't know if it would be cheaper, but I know they'd at least try to find one for you. And I really can't recommend that shop enough. Great to work with.
2013-06-04 9:54 AM

User image

Platte City
You will be very hard pressed to find anywhere around here (or in the country) stocking a DA1, there just isnt a demand for it. Cycle city does have a p5 right now though.... thankfully its too small for me! Bike stores are going to build up bikes that sell. Not many people have the cash for a superbike.

They do have a few DA's built up at cycle city right now, didn't check the specs but I'd bet they are DA4. Haven't been to Elite recently.

Also, do you want a DA because of how it looks, or how it fits? Either Elite or Cycle City can help you with fitting. You would be far better served buying a bike that actually fits, versus one that just looks cool. I believe Elite Cycling just became Retul certified. Your best bet would be go get a retul fit, then buy the bike based on the numbers it spits out, which may or may not be a Felt DA. If you are ordering a DA1, any Felt dealer around here would be willing to work on price with you I'm betting.

Or, buy a cheap used bike on c-list/classifieds, and work on the engine. Its the engine that makes you go fast, not the bike. Just don't tell that to the wife!

2013-06-05 4:12 PM
in reply to: thepaul500

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Originally posted by thepaul500

You will be very hard pressed to find anywhere around here (or in the country) stocking a DA1, there just isnt a demand for it. Cycle city does have a p5 right now though.... thankfully its too small for me! Bike stores are going to build up bikes that sell. Not many people have the cash for a superbike.

They do have a few DA's built up at cycle city right now, didn't check the specs but I'd bet they are DA4. Haven't been to Elite recently.

Also, do you want a DA because of how it looks, or how it fits? Either Elite or Cycle City can help you with fitting. You would be far better served buying a bike that actually fits, versus one that just looks cool. I believe Elite Cycling just became Retul certified. Your best bet would be go get a retul fit, then buy the bike based on the numbers it spits out, which may or may not be a Felt DA. If you are ordering a DA1, any Felt dealer around here would be willing to work on price with you I'm betting.

Or, buy a cheap used bike on c-list/classifieds, and work on the engine. Its the engine that makes you go fast, not the bike. Just don't tell that to the wife!

Yes they do Retul, I bought a Felt F75 road bike there and after Retul had a new stem and FF seatpost put on my Felt. It's no DA1 but I feel really speedy. I did, however, admore those more expensive time trial bikes in my last race I credit some of that to the perfect fit, I'm a believer in the Retul. I also cooked a nice 3 mile time trial at 27.6 mph ave speed (shameless brag I know...). Fit is pretty key but I also like things that are cool so good luck on your bike purchase.
2013-06-05 4:33 PM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Originally posted by reecealan
I also cooked a nice 3 mile time trial at 27.6 mph ave speed (shameless brag I know...).

holy cow. Nice.
2013-06-06 11:23 AM

User image

Platte City
I'm guessing that was the corp challenge one? I only did 27.3...so much for my pride! And I was on a P2 w/disc.... (6:35.35) I went on Wednesday when the wind was a killer coming around the bend....saw the GPS reading 20.2 and I almost gave up....I couldn't breathe at the end and was completely shelled. How is it that a 3 mile TT is harder than a 50 mile ride? UgH!

I got a Guru Fit Bike/FIST fit done over at SBR in St Louis before I bought the P2. Got a perfect position from the get-go as soon as I bought the bike and set it up. First time riding a tri bike and I was super comfy from the beginning. That was neato for sure.
2013-06-06 3:22 PM
in reply to: thepaul500

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Originally posted by thepaul500

I'm guessing that was the corp challenge one? I only did 27.3...so much for my pride! And I was on a P2 w/disc.... (6:35.35) I went on Wednesday when the wind was a killer coming around the bend....saw the GPS reading 20.2 and I almost gave up....I couldn't breathe at the end and was completely shelled. How is it that a 3 mile TT is harder than a 50 mile ride? UgH!

I got a Guru Fit Bike/FIST fit done over at SBR in St Louis before I bought the P2. Got a perfect position from the get-go as soon as I bought the bike and set it up. First time riding a tri bike and I was super comfy from the beginning. That was neato for sure.

I'm pretty sure you guys had it windier than we did Thursday night, hard to tell because there still was a headwind Thursday and I fell below 20 mph with it. I beat Scott Bolen's Corporate Challenge record from 2011 by over 5 seconds but he threw down just under 6:28 so it's still his. Some dude rode 5:52 on Wednesday, over 30 mph, that's hard to beat. The good news is you're still a youngster and so in a couple years you can be throwing down that sub 6 time yourself.
2013-06-07 11:21 AM

User image

Platte City
Totally dragging this thread off topic (oops!!) but that was one of the coolest experiences I've had, racing under the lights on the speedway like that.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Where's the best place to buy a bike for the best price Rss Feed