General Discussion Triathlon Talk » All calories are not alike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-16 11:33 AM

User image

Minneapolis, MN
Subject: All calories are not alike
So I have eliminated grains and sugars and have lost about 13 lbs. I'm down to 180. My guess is ideal racing weight will be 175 ish. I don't count calories. I eat as much quality food as I can stomach. Of course my mind still craves sweet and I could top off calories with sweet but I am not so far. My question is: if I get to goal weight and keep losing weight and performance starts to suffer, then should I add sweets back in? Eventually is my body going to start consuming itself , due to not being able to eat enough calories through meat and veggies and fruit?

2013-05-16 11:46 AM
in reply to: #4745336

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA
Subject: RE: All calories are not alike
I would not add back sweets but would try to up your healthy fats.
2013-05-16 2:14 PM
in reply to: #4745336

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
Subject: RE: All calories are not alike

I would add grains in before I would add sugar.  You can make a case for why grains can provide nutrition but refined sugar provides absolutely no nutrition.

I think after getting off sugar that you'll feel kinda wonky trying to toss it back in.

I second the idea of adding healthy fats.  A nutritionist once told me that you an easily up your calories without upping your amount of food by increasing your healthy fats.  For example, by tossing some butter or olive oil into all of your daily veggies you add 100 or more calories without consuming any additional food.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » All calories are not alike Rss Feed