Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Gas prices soar Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-05-17 6:40 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa
Subject: Gas prices soar

I left for work on Thursday morning with gas at $3.69 which was already up $0.20 from three days earlier and was at $3.79 when I got home from work.  This morning the same gas was $3.89 when I left home and my 30 mile commute, the town I work was up to $4.09 which was at $3.69 when I saw it the day before.

Really!!!!!!

2013-05-17 6:45 AM
in reply to: #4746506

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Subject: RE: Gas prices soar
I did a double take at the pump yesterday too.  Seems like such a big jump in a short time period.  I live under a rock--is there a specific cause to this jump?
2013-05-17 7:42 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

The current spike in the midwest is related to supposed refinery power outages and maintenance.

On a complete side note.  Have you guys ever read into the refinery issues in the US?  The economic side of this stuff fascinates me.

2013-05-17 7:43 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
2013-05-17 7:50 AM

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
No changes here in Connecticut. It's still extortion rates. We're typically 2nd in the country just a bit less than Hawaii. $3.89 for regular yesterday.
2013-05-17 7:51 AM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
Not to be a downer, but there is no reason for the spikes, other than every year near Memorial Day (big travel weekend), for as long as I can remember, gas prices spike.  They give all sorts of reasons, but it happens every year at this time.  

Sad isn't it.  Almost like price fixing/gouging.  But that couldn't be.  

2013-05-17 7:56 AM

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN
Yeah, what a nice surprise.
2013-05-17 8:10 AM

User image

Pro

Gas prices are so variable. In Philly it's around $3.68, but if I hop over the bridge (3 miles) into NJ it' $3.34. Plus there is no self-service in NJ, they pump it for you. You'd think that would make it more expensive, but it just goes to show how much of gas pricing is tax-based.

2013-05-17 8:14 AM
in reply to: #4746642

User image

Elite
N Carolina
BrianRunsPhilly - 2013-05-17 9:10 AM

Gas prices are so variable. In Philly it's around $3.68, but if I hop over the bridge (3 miles) into NJ it' $3.34. Plus there is no self-service in NJ, they pump it for you. You'd think that would make it more expensive, but it just goes to show how much of gas pricing is tax-based.

I was going to mention the difference in state gasoline tax as an explanation for PA vs NJ.

Same thing for NC vs SC.  NC has some of the highest gas tax in the country.  Many people who live near the border buy gas in SC (think Charlotte NC residents buying gas in Fort Mill SC).

2013-05-17 8:21 AM

User image

Elite
Utah

Just in time for us to leave on our first tri/camping trip.  300 miles avg 9mi/gal... JOY!
I can't even tell you what it was to fill up... I just handed over the 15 cent/gallon coupon to my husband.

2013-05-17 8:38 AM
in reply to: #4746669

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2013-05-17 9:17 AM

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
I see gas at 4.05 to 4.50 everywhere I go.   Depends on the city and county within a 20 mile radius.  There is a reason why one gas station always has a 30 min wait.
2013-05-17 9:25 AM

Saint Paul, MN
Saw $4.29 on my way to work today. 
2013-05-17 9:46 AM

Expert
Boise, Idaho

It's OBAMA and govt. overreach.....no, wait....

It's REPUBLICANS and that damn, 'free market' they're always raling about.....

I wonder if the IRS knows about this......???   hmmmmmmmmm

BENGHAZI 

2013-05-17 1:52 PM
in reply to: jeffnboise

It is a long weekend here in Canada so the gas companies bumped up the gas from $1.229/L to $1.299L. You say big deal? What's 7 cents? Well, $1.299/L is the equivalent to $4.917/gallon. I will take your "high" prices any day.
2013-05-17 5:35 PM
in reply to: tuwood

Elite
Originally posted by tuwood

The current spike in the midwest is related to supposed refinery power outages and maintenance.

On a complete side note.  Have you guys ever read into the refinery issues in the US?  The economic side of this stuff fascinates me.

Here's what's funny Tony.... in the electric industry, we have extra capacity to cover outages. All power companies have contracts between them to buy power for outages and sell power. They are scheduled and are on a periodic basis. They are long term contracts, not spot coverage for unplanned outages. Outages are in Spring and Fall. They can't afford the outages during peak of Summer, and most places can't do work in the Winter. This is just how it is, it is built into the system.

Yet somehow, the refinery business can't seem to figure that out. I do understand regional shortages. There is no national grid refineries are tied to. However, they know Spring and Fall will be down. They know they have to meet supply. They know so much gasoline is sold through the year.... yet somehow, meeting demand for scheduled maintenance is somehow lost in the refinery industry.

Maybe they could go to a class or something.

2013-05-17 7:14 PM
in reply to: pitt83

Expert
Central Mass
Originally posted by pitt83

No changes here in Connecticut. It's still extortion rates. We're typically 2nd in the country just a bit less than Hawaii. $3.89 for regular yesterday.

The irony is that here in taxachuetts, I paid 3.67 for premium yesterday, less than 7 miles from Rhode Island.
RI was in the 3.6x range for regular yesterday too - i.e. 0.30 more than in Mass.
2013-05-17 7:48 PM
in reply to: powerman

Calgary, AB
Originally posted by powerman

Here's what's funny Tony.... in the electric industry, we have extra capacity to cover outages. All power companies have contracts between them to buy power for outages and sell power. They are scheduled and are on a periodic basis. They are long term contracts, not spot coverage for unplanned outages. Outages are in Spring and Fall. They can't afford the outages during peak of Summer, and most places can't do work in the Winter. This is just how it is, it is built into the system.

Yet somehow, the refinery business can't seem to figure that out. I do understand regional shortages. There is no national grid refineries are tied to. However, they know Spring and Fall will be down. They know they have to meet supply. They know so much gasoline is sold through the year.... yet somehow, meeting demand for scheduled maintenance is somehow lost in the refinery industry.

You willing to pony up the $10B just to keep a "spare" refinery lying around? :-)

Power plants and refineries are different beasts. There's only 134 refineries in the US -- in some regions there may only be a few supplying the market. If one goes down, even for planned maintenance, it can't help but have an impact on the market. Compare this to 6,000+ power plants. Add in the fact that bulk liquids are way more expensive to transport around vs. electricity -- makes it difficult to alleviate local supply / demand imbalances. Especially in landlocked areas. And it's way easier to turn on an idle power plant vs. an idle refinery -- the latter can take months. These are complicated pieces of machinery.

FYI -- I work in the oil & gas industry, looking at economics including price differences across regions and the impact of supply and demand changes -- happy to answer any questions (as long as the questioners kindly leave their pitchforks and torches at the door!)
2013-05-17 9:04 PM
in reply to: flip18436572

Saint Paul, MN
Now it is up to $4.39. I paid $3.89 on Monday.
2013-05-17 11:56 PM
in reply to: Hoos

Elite
Originally posted by Hoos

You willing to pony up the $10B just to keep a "spare" refinery lying around? :-)

Power plants and refineries are different beasts. There's only 134 refineries in the US -- in some regions there may only be a few supplying the market. If one goes down, even for planned maintenance, it can't help but have an impact on the market. Compare this to 6,000+ power plants. Add in the fact that bulk liquids are way more expensive to transport around vs. electricity -- makes it difficult to alleviate local supply / demand imbalances. Especially in landlocked areas. And it's way easier to turn on an idle power plant vs. an idle refinery -- the latter can take months. These are complicated pieces of machinery.

FYI -- I work in the oil & gas industry, looking at economics including price differences across regions and the impact of supply and demand changes -- happy to answer any questions (as long as the questioners kindly leave their pitchforks and torches at the door!)

Do you think my company has another $200 million laying around for a extra capacity... but that is exactly what we do. It's the price of doing business. Reserve capacity. Don't tell me the refinery industry produces at 99% capacity.

And the thing is, there is not one drop less of gasoline being bought, and there is not one shortage of gasoline. Yet some "disruption" is announced and prices go up, when in fact supply has not gone anywhere. Now I do understand gasoline distribution is indeed different. If it has to be brought in from further away for regional supplies, then yes that product costs more to bring to market.

Now I'm not talking conspiracy. And I'm down with supply and demand. But these are planned outages. They know them far in advance. The difference between electricity and gasoline is that if you run out of electricity, people begin dying. Hospitals and water supplies stop working... but gasoline... ah, we will just charge more for putting out the same we did last year. And they knew they were going to do that 3 years ago.
2013-05-18 3:10 AM
in reply to: 0

Calgary, AB

Originally posted by powermanDo you think my company has another $200 million laying around for a extra capacity... but that is exactly what we do. It's the price of doing business. Reserve capacity. Don't tell me the refinery industry produces at 99% capacity.

No, but it's not for lack of trying.   If a refinery can produce at a profit, it produces.  Why wouldn't it?  It's obscenely expensive equipment, and it would be an incredible waste to run it at half throttle.  When refineries run at less than full capacity, it's almost entirely due to technical / logistical problems, or because refining margins aren't high enough to justify the operating costs.  Not a conscious decision to keep extra capacity on hand.

Let me flip the question around -- why does your company keep extra generation capacity on the shelf, instead of running it year-round?  Maybe it's a regulatory requirement?  Maybe you have long-term customer contracts to meet?   (To be honest, I might ask whether power prices in your region would be lower if this "extra" capacity wasn't being withheld from the market....)

And the thing is, there is not one drop less of gasoline being bought, and there is not one shortage of gasoline. Yet some "disruption" is announced and prices go up, when in fact supply has not gone anywhere.

Sorry, I'm not following your logic here.   Perhaps you could cite an example here? Or better elaborate what you're talking about?  (Not trying to be difficult, but I don't understand what you mean by "supply has not gone anywhere".  If supply hasn't gone anywhere, what's the disruption?)

The difference between electricity and gasoline is that if you run out of electricity, people begin dying. Hospitals and water supplies stop working... but gasoline... ah, we will just charge more for putting out the same we did last year. And they knew they were going to do that 3 years ago.

If you truly "ran out" of gasoline the way you're describing for electricity, people would die too.  Ambulances couldn't get to the hospital, food and medicine couldn't get to market, fire trucks couldn't access fires, etc.    Either way, you're talking about extreme shortage cases.  In a more typical situation -- hiccups in supply translate into higher prices -- no different in power than in gasoline.  And people curtail their demand in response to the higher prices.  

It almost sounds like you're  claiming that power prices never fluctuate according to market conditions?? (But I'm pretty certain you're not, so help me understand the distinction you're trying to draw)

Edited by Hoos 2013-05-18 3:12 AM

2013-05-18 12:45 PM
in reply to: 0

Elite

No, but it's not for lack of trying.   If a refinery can produce at a profit, it produces.  Why wouldn't it?  It's obscenely expensive equipment, and it would be an incredible waste to run it at half throttle.  When refineries run at less than full capacity, it's almost entirely due to technical / logistical problems, or because refining margins aren't high enough to justify the operating costs.  Not a conscious decision to keep extra capacity on hand.

The equipment itself isn't any more expensive that powerplants. Steel, materials, pumps, ect....

Let me flip the question around -- why does your company keep extra generation capacity on the shelf, instead of running it year-round?  Maybe it's a regulatory requirement?  Maybe you have long-term customer contracts to meet?   (To be honest, I might ask whether power prices in your region would be lower if this "extra" capacity wasn't being withheld from the market....)

This is probably where we differ... power isn't stored. Supply must equal demand, and we turn down at night following load. We operate what is economical. I was trying to find some quick data, and Summer operating margin is about 15% extra. Winter will be more. "Extra" capacity is a bean counter problem. No utility installs generation expecting it to sit idle half the time. So yes, it certainly is a factor. My utility has about 20% extra from record high demand... but we do not run record demand 365. And assets sitting idle is not good for the bottom line.

Sorry, I'm not following your logic here.   Perhaps you could cite an example here? Or better elaborate what you're talking about?  (Not trying to be difficult, but I don't understand what you mean by "supply has not gone anywhere".  If supply hasn't gone anywhere, what's the disruption?)

Maybe I am just thinking like a power guy. Meaning over the big picture, national supply and demand of gasoline does not change much year to year. Single percentage points up and down. Just like power. So for forecasting... they know this is what demand is going to be, and this is what we need to supply. And I'm sure that is what happens. So for a outage schedule of major overhauls every 2-3-4 years what ever their frequency is, then that is a known supply problem. And that they will "top off" everything and shut down. But a price spike happens for a planned out age and I don't get it. There is still gasoline in the tanks.

If you truly "ran out" of gasoline the way you're describing for electricity, people would die too.  Ambulances couldn't get to the hospital, food and medicine couldn't get to market, fire trucks couldn't access fires, etc.    Either way, you're talking about extreme shortage cases.  In a more typical situation -- hiccups in supply translate into higher prices -- no different in power than in gasoline.  And people curtail their demand in response to the higher prices.  

It almost sounds like you're  claiming that power prices never fluctuate according to market conditions?? (But I'm pretty certain you're not, so help me understand the distinction you're trying to draw)

Good point, you are right. And as for the rest... well you are right again. Being a power guy, I don't really equate the two the same, but actually they are. Power prices fluctuate all day. Wildly in some cases. If the market is tight, and a unit goes down, the utility has to pay premium prices. So normal is say $20/mwh. What I can make it for. Another company makes it for $30 on gas, I need it, that's what I pay. In a tight market units down, Summer demand... it could be $70-$100 per. You the consumer do not see that. The utility company adjusts that over the year, and they may indeed make price adjustments to bills.... and you will pay it. But that is also based on a usage of 24/7/365. Buying 200 mwh for 24 hours cost a lot, but not compared to the entire rest of the year.

I'm a little embarrassed that did not dawn on me. Utility customers pay rates, and market adjustments, but it is spread out over the year... you do not see the "pain at the meter" when you go to plug your house in. You just get a bill and pay it. Where as we see the pain at the pump every week when we go to fill up.Thanks for setting me straight. Wink

But even with gasoline and forecasting... I do not see why it can't be averaged out over the year... not in a big picture... but this is what we can supply, buy some "long term" gasoline in this area from this refinery to cover our down time in this area, and have it be more stable. All utilities do maintenance, and that is just "built in" to the rate structure. Does that make sense?

Edited by powerman 2013-05-18 12:50 PM
2013-05-18 4:35 PM

Calgary, AB

The equipment itself isn't any more expensive that powerplants. Steel, materials, pumps, ect....

This is probably where we differ... power isn't stored. Supply must equal demand, and we turn down at night following load. We operate what is economical. I was trying to find some quick data, and Summer operating margin is about 15% extra. Winter will be more. "Extra" capacity is a bean counter problem. No utility installs generation expecting it to sit idle half the time. So yes, it certainly is a factor. My utility has about 20% extra from record high demand... but we do not run record demand 365. And assets sitting idle is not good for the bottom line.

Maybe I am just thinking like a power guy. Meaning over the big picture, national supply and demand of gasoline does not change much year to year. Single percentage points up and down. Just like power. So for forecasting... they know this is what demand is going to be, and this is what we need to supply. And I'm sure that is what happens. So for a outage schedule of major overhauls every 2-3-4 years what ever their frequency is, then that is a known supply problem. And that they will "top off" everything and shut down. But a price spike happens for a planned out age and I don't get it. There is still gasoline in the tanks.

Good point, you are right. And as for the rest... well you are right again. Being a power guy, I don't really equate the two the same, but actually they are. Power prices fluctuate all day. Wildly in some cases. If the market is tight, and a unit goes down, the utility has to pay premium prices. So normal is say $20/mwh. What I can make it for. Another company makes it for $30 on gas, I need it, that's what I pay. In a tight market units down, Summer demand... it could be $70-$100 per. You the consumer do not see that. The utility company adjusts that over the year, and they may indeed make price adjustments to bills.... and you will pay it. But that is also based on a usage of 24/7/365. Buying 200 mwh for 24 hours cost a lot, but not compared to the entire rest of the year.

I'm a little embarrassed that did not dawn on me. Utility customers pay rates, and market adjustments, but it is spread out over the year... you do not see the "pain at the meter" when you go to plug your house in. You just get a bill and pay it. Where as we see the pain at the pump every week when we go to fill up.Thanks for setting me straight. Wink

But even with gasoline and forecasting... I do not see why it can't be averaged out over the year... not in a big picture... but this is what we can supply, buy some "long term" gasoline in this area from this refinery to cover our down time in this area, and have it be more stable. All utilities do maintenance, and that is just "built in" to the rate structure. Does that make sense?

You've basically just argued for massive regulation of the oil & gas industry.  I can't foresee any problems with that idea.   Smile

After I posted last night, I started to wonder -- power companies have all kinds of marketing packages  that allow an end customer to pick variable vs fixed rate.  Nobody has done that (to my knowledge) for gasoline.  Why not?  Why couldn't e.g. QuikTrip sell fixed-rate gasoline -- you agree to buy at least 1000 gallons over the next year at a fixed rate of $3.50/gallon.    Is that what you're envisioning?

Why hasn't that been tried?  Good question.  Two guesses:

• Despite the presence of BigOilCo branding on the marquee -- retail gasoline stations are nearly all owned & operated by individual owners or small businesses (and very seldom owned by the same entity that runs the refinery).  No way in Hades does a typical service station owner have the financial werewithal to absorb -- or even understand -- that risk.   
  • If the price dropped, why would I keep buying my gasoline under the fixed rate (which is now way above market)?   I can switch really easily to the station across the street.   The gasoline market is has way more competitors than the local utility market.  

If I'm not mistaken (and I may be), this kind of fixed-rate / minimum volume contract is more common in the diesel and jet fuel markets (e.g. with large trucking and airline companies, who do buy straight from companies like Exxon, Shell, etc.).  And even then, it's not fixed at a specific $/gallon, but rather linked to a market index.   

2013-05-18 4:54 PM
in reply to: Hoos

Elite

More than likely you are right. That indeed there are companies that buy long term contracts for large supply. I know my utility had an old oil tank for a plant that we were not going to burn oil anymore... they wanted to use the tank for diesel storage and fill it up for the city and get long term pricing. I do not know if that happened.

At the end, you and me are left with buying on the "spot" market what ever the price is at that time. I do know there is more to it that just the standard response of big oil bending over the little guy when ever they feel like it.

And for sure, refinery capacity in the U.S. is a problem. It is said often how a new one has not been built in a long time... yet the old ones keep adding capacity... just like plants increase generation with modifications. But that part is the tricky part... it is supply and demand... there is no point in adding capacity to drop the price and drop revenue. You just paid good money to knock a hole in the bottom of your market. At some point prices rise and new capacity is added and they fall back to what they were... but there is absolutely no market driven reason at all the add a bunch of capacity just to lower the price of the product. It still costs the same to produce it.

2013-05-18 7:31 PM

Calgary, AB

And for sure, refinery capacity in the U.S. is a problem. It is said often how a new one has not been built in a long time... yet the old ones keep adding capacity... just like plants increase generation with modifications. But that part is the tricky part... it is supply and demand... there is no point in adding capacity to drop the price and drop revenue. You just paid good money to knock a hole in the bottom of your market. At some point prices rise and new capacity is added and they fall back to what they were... but there is absolutely no market driven reason at all the add a bunch of capacity just to lower the price of the product. It still costs the same to produce it.

That's why companies are quite reluctant to increase refining capacity -- it's a huge investment and takes years to do, so you're taking a very long term bet (~20-30 years) on prices staying favorable.   And of course -- as in every industry under the sun, from tulips to railway stocks to dot-coms to subprime mortgages -- if everybody makes the same decision to expand at once, it craters the market.    Game theory at its finest!

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Gas prices soar Rss Feed  

of 2