General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tofu. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-07-13 11:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Aurora, CO
Subject: Tofu.
So, I have decided to incorporate more tofu into my diet in order to meet my protein needs (not a big meat-eater).

Does anyone have some good tofu recipes? Should I treat it as I would chicken?

2006-07-13 11:41 AM
in reply to: #481580

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA
Subject: RE: Tofu.
The only thing I ever eat that has tofu in it is hot and sour soup. 
2006-07-13 3:50 PM

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
Mekarual - 2006-07-13 12:30 PM

So, I have decided to incorporate more tofu into my diet in order to meet my protein needs (not a big meat-eater).

Does anyone have some good tofu recipes? Should I treat it as I would chicken?

yes, but you might want to consider tempeh as well. It's got a different texture that can be good in certain recipies over tofu. Look into Thai and other Asian food recipies. There's this place in Pgh that makes this kick- butt sesame tofu that tastes just like chicken.
2006-07-13 4:10 PM

Pro
AZ
Yippee!! Someone I can talk tofu to, who ACTUALLY wants to hear what I have to say!!! :-)

Here is a major tip: Tub tofu - the extra firm kind that you buy that is sitting in a tub of water - you should take it out of the tub, put it between 2 plates and set some heavy canister or something on top of it and let it sit for 15 min. This will drain the bulk of the water out of it. THEN, throw it in a freezer zip lock bag and freeze it. Even overnight will do the trick, or keep a few blocks in there for whenever you need it. When you thaw it out, (Can be done in the fridge or just by micro waving it,) it will have a completely different texture - thick and chewy and meaty!!!! I will then cut it up into cubes for stir fry, or into strips for "BBQ ribs." (Just lay them in a casserole dish with BBQ sauce on them and put in oven until bubbly.)
I am telling you...this little freezing trick is DA BOMB!!!!

Ok, second tip. Silken tofu - the kind you buy in the cardboard box and does not have to be refrigerated - is great to add to smoothies for a protein boost. But my favorite thing to make with silken tofu is the following Chocolate "Cream" Pie: (You can serve it to people and they have no idea it is made out of tofu. It is always fun to tell them after they have gone on, and on about how great it is!)

Chocolate "Cream" Pie:
2 boxes of silken tofu (can be lite if you like)
1 Tbsp of Vanilla
¼ cup of maple syrup
1 16oz bag of chocolate chips (milk if you like milk chocolate, bittersweet if you like darker chocolate)
1 Graham cracker crust (can be reduced fat if you like)

Melt the chocolate chips in the micro or in a double boiler. Add to blender with all other ingredients and blend until smooth. Pour in to graham cracker crust. Chill 4 hours.

If you try any of my tips I would love to hear back from you to see what you thought!!
2006-07-14 8:25 PM

Sanit Louis
Tofu I have found to be a very versatile ingredient. It will take on the flavor of any marinade if you let it marinate long enough, I like 24 hours. There are numerous resources that discuss the different styles and there uses- sauté firm tofu, blending soft etc. Then you can incorporate them into you favorite recipes. I made an outstanding Vegan Cream of Mushroom soup by using soft tofu and blending it into the soup instead of cream. Check out Millennium restaurant in San Francisco they are an all Vegan restaurant with fabulous things they also have two cookbooks that I use a lot for vegetarian inspiration. For the most part eat whatever it is you like and you will find ways to add tofu to the dishes.
2006-07-14 8:43 PM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA

I have a recipie for a dish called "Golden Bowl" from the world famous Grit restaurant in Athens, GA.

Take two containers of Extra Firm Tofu and drain.

Cut into small dice size blocks.

Pour a silver dollar size of Extra Virgin Olive Oil into a pan and heat.

Add the pieces of tofu and cook until almost brown, then add soy sauce to taste (if you coat the pieces it still won't be salty enough)

Remove and soak up excess oil, place back into pan and coat with nutritional yeast and remove.

Serve over brown rice, with veggies and melted mixed cheese. 

2006-07-16 9:20 PM
in reply to: #483324

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Okay, I'm gonna try that freezing trick then Rocket Man's recipe...woohoo!  I came into this forum tonight to post for tofu recipes...BT anticipated me!
2006-07-17 12:46 PM

New user
I eat this alot, it is by far my fav way to eat tofu. I buy the tub tofu, extra firm, put it in a bowl and mash it up with a fork. Makes it look alot like cottage cheese. Then just pour on your fav spaghetti sauce add a little grated cheese. Heat it up if ya want. Eat with a spoon.
2006-07-17 1:31 PM

User image

Master
Colorado
Big Fat Disclaimer(s)
-- The portions are not set; I'm taking a rough guess at what I
normally do, and each person can tweak this as per their preference

--This is not as "goat cheese-y" as you would think it would be, but
it's still yummy.

You need:
-1 thing of tofu (firm or extra firm) -- I use (I think) the Nasoya
brand, and I believe their single containers have roughly 13, 14
ounces in them. (Was that vague enough? )
-1 can of corn, or about 16 ounces (Some people think this is too
much, you can cut down if you're not a corn fan)
-Raisins. Ok, I have no idea how much. Off the top of my head, maybe a cup?
-Sesame Seeds. I'll default to a cup again, but really, this is a "how
much do you like sesame seeds/corn/raisins/etc and add accordingly"
recipe. Sometimes I toast the sesame seeds, which adds some flavor;
often I don't, 'cause that can be a pain
-Cilantro (totally optional, but adds a nice kick)
- Salsa Verde
- 6 oz. Goat Cheese...some people put 10 oz, some people put 4. I
personally think 10 is too much, and I really like goat cheese, so I
was surprised. I normally get whatever log of goat cheese is on sale
and go with that.
-Tortillas (one packet ... about 6-8, I think)

Ok, so basically, you chop up the tofu into little square pieces, and
throw it in a bowl. Combine raisins, corn, sesame seeds, cilantro,
goat cheese and the green salsa (as much as you want to get a good
"burrito" consistency. Without it, it is too dry). Mix.

Once mixed, use the tortillas to make the burritos... I've found it's
easiest to wrap them by holding the tortilla in the palm of my hand,
spooning in enough burrito mixture to generously fill my palm, and
then folding the sides in. Place each tortilla in a baking dish. Once
you've got them all in the dish, you can sprinkle on top some grated
mozzarella cheese and more salsa verda if you feel so inclined. Throw
into the oven (about 350 degrees) for 15-20 minutes until warm, or
until cheese on top is melted.

Serve with sour cream on top, if so desired. Makes as many burritos as
you want to fill; I can at least get through a packet of 8 tortillas.
If you want less, then stuff the tortilla more.
2006-07-17 2:20 PM
in reply to: #484197

Extreme Veteran
Cary, NC

Mmmm, yeah, me too. That recipe sounds super yummy!

jldicarlo - 2006-07-16 10:20 PM Okay, I'm gonna try that freezing trick then Rocket Man's recipe...woohoo!  I came into this forum tonight to post for tofu recipes...BT anticipated me!

2006-07-17 2:26 PM

Extreme Veteran
Cary, NC

Someone suggested temph. I'm not a huge fan but you should definitely try it. It's often made into "meat-like" stuff like kababs and skewers, etc.

A tofu relative to always keep on hand is TVP--both granuals and chunks (if you can find them). TVP = textured vegetable protien and is made out of soy flour. It is super low in calories and has TONS of protein! You can throw the granuals into almost anything w/ sauce--they're PERFECT for out of the bottle spaghetti sauce.... just add fresh veggies and sprinkle in a bunch of TVP and then it's almost like having ground meat in the sauce. (It just soaks up the sauce flavor.) The chunks act the same way, but are just bigger pieces of "meat."

Another product to try is seitan which is made from vital wheat gluten... it is one of the big "fake meat" products... it is kinda chickeny I guess, and you can buy it already made in the refridgerated section (usually near the tofu). The drawback is that sometimes it can seem kinda rubbery. But I like it--and it packs a lot of protein for the calories, and has a dense texture.

Edited by DB8 2006-07-17 2:30 PM

2006-07-17 2:38 PM

Sanit Louis
I have made scrambled tofu in the morning to replace scrambled eggs. Add a little curry powder to mashed up firm tofu and there you have it. If you first sauté some onions and peppers or maybe spinach then add the tofu you come out with a nice scrambler.
2006-07-17 8:41 PM

User image

Regular
Somerville, MA

Just a quick shout of thanks to StandsWithFist! I had always wondered how to get tofu that kind of texture ... they have it at restaurants, but it never seems to come out that way for me! I am very excited about this discovery
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tofu. Rss Feed