General Discussion Triathlon Talk » They don't get me. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-05-18 11:15 PM

Subject: They don't get me.
Family, friends and coworkers don't seem to understand my desire to start doing tris. This, especially as I limp around with a knee injury. Too old is what the common consensus is in not those exact words. I'm 42 and over weight. Joined the gym, putting miles on the bike and starting to run as I ramp up the training. It doesn't bother me that people don't seem to understand. I just wonder if others experience these reactions. I'm wondering if our desire and commitment is that different and "foreign" to most other folks.

2013-05-19 3:01 AM
in reply to: respro

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: They don't get me.
Ooooh yeah! I've been in endurance sports so long (from age 10) I've gone from "You're too young to do this," straight through to "You're too old to do this." I've been told I would stunt my growth (from a marathon at age 14) and (at 43) that someone my age should stick to gentle stuff like yoga and not do "too much cardio". Through it all my legs have never fallen off, I haven't had stress fractures or had my growth stunted or my uterus fall out or (to my knowledge) developed arthritis or ruined my knees. Most of the injuries I have gotten have been traumatic things like falling on ice, tripping over bricks, or running into parked cars while commuting, not actually even training-related and generally not overuse issues. It's true that the body can get a bit less resilient as one gets older, but plenty of young people get injured too, usually by pushing it too hard, too soon. The basic principles of sensible training are the same at any age--build up gradually, listen to your body, take precautions like good warmup and cooldown, stretching, rest days, good nutrition and hydration. I like to think that the older one is, the smarter one can be about these things.

It used to bother me that others didn't "get it" but, after a lifetime of these comments, I just don't care. I have my reasons for what I do, it keeps me healthy and happy and I'm reasonably good at it, and gives me a personal space aside from work and family. People have all kinds of strange passions, some of which can be quite dangerous (scuba, driving fast cars, climbing) or expensive (golf) or just, to outsiders, a bit odd (birding). They don't seem to need to justify their passions, why do we? Just enjoy and get on with it; don't expect understanding from others.

2013-05-19 5:22 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Aalborg, Denmark
You should never concern yourself with what such people say. I wanted to start playing guitar when I was 19. People (including my family) were skeptical and even made fun of me. Now I'm the lead guitarist in a band.

It's the same with endurance sport. Triathlon is growing but it's still not a popular sport. People don't even know in what order the disciplines come. Personally I use it as motivation. I will do what they won't today so I can do what they can't tomorrow.

Good luck with the training.

Edited by Dnn 2013-05-19 5:23 AM
2013-05-19 6:11 AM

User image

who cares what they tnink just do it and have fun. I started doing endurance activities when I was 44 ( century bike rides). Did my first marathon at 47, my first triathlon at age 48, and my first Ironman distance race at 50.
Some people think I am crazy while others give me a lot of credit to be doing what I do,
In fact I have inspired others to start living a more active life style. Must people I work with are at least 25 years younger then I am. As a teacher I am glad to be setting a positive role model for my students. They cannot believe what their “old” teacher can do.
2013-05-19 7:15 AM

User image

It's common that people don't understand something that's foreign to them. Almost every morning I run, I see this guy flying his remote control helicopter. He brings his workbench and all his tools and tinkers with it...flys it again...rinse/repeat...pretty much 4x a week (at least that I see him).

Every time I pass him I think to myself that he needs to get a life, but he probably thinks the same thing about me.
2013-05-19 7:15 AM
in reply to: suefesta

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

YES, I know what it feels like for people not to understand me choosing to do triathlon!! I live in a small southern town & wish I was 42!!

WHen I first started thinking about triathlon I was looking at a bike and asked my 15 YO son what he thought and he said "I dont think you should get it, you will never do this mom" for real! (but that is typical teenager negativity)

Anyway, I have trained all the harder because of that comment and he WILL be at the finish line!!

Other people in town think I am crazy for sure but most of those think sitting on a porch swing is a sport, are sedentary themselves and in poor health. But SOME of those who thought I was crazy to begin with are interested in triathlon themselves now- including all three of my sons.

When I first started thinking about this I was not even sure if people my age (47) did triathlon so I started researching and read about THIS LADY. Talk about inspiration!!! So the next one who says you are too old say oh no -Sister Modanna did a full Ironman at 82!!!

AND- Who cases who 'gets' you!! Be true to yourself, make good choices (getting in shape is a good choice!!), and think about the example you are being for them!! 

2013-05-19 7:28 AM

User image

Regular
1. 42 is not too old to start anything! I started running for the first time in my life last year at 44. I could barely, and I mean it, do one minute of jogging of my c25k program. Really. I ran (100% running) a 4 mile Turkey Trot at Thanksgiving. I inspired two sister-in-laws, and my wife to do it with me. One sister-in-law and the wife walked, but they were there vs. on the couch at home. This year, all of the in-laws are doing it as family. My 51 year old uncle then started running. He's done his 1st & 2nd 5k ever in the last 30 days. He took 3rd and then 2nd in his age group. In April, I completed my first ever sprint triathlon at age 45! I set a goal, told everyone I was going to do it for accountability, applied the discipline to train, and did it!

2. Monitor the injuries, and seek treatment before they get worse. I wish I had gone sooner for my recurring pulled calf muscle. It feels great now that I did.

3. People who are sedentary, overweight and too lazy to exercise will always try to crush your ambition to make themselves feel better. They've spent years lying to themselves about why they don't take better care of themselves, and you are making them uncomfortable. Keep up the good work!
2013-05-19 7:48 AM
in reply to: DannyII

New user
I started Training for my 1st tri when I was 55yrs old, most everyone thought I was crazy(except my family). You should never listen to other people, if you want to do it then do it. I am still going strong at 63. Good Luck
2013-05-19 7:54 AM

User image

NC
You're overthinking it.

2013-05-19 8:45 AM

User image

Regular
Raleigh
Plenty of good advice here. I should also add that in addition to family, friends, and coworkers making comments, by choosing to get into triathlon, you'll also get comments from the single sport folks: the swimmers, bikers, and runners. Fuggedaboudit. Some people will never understand.
2013-05-19 9:39 AM

User image

Master
St. Louis
I started in my early forties too. Don't worry about what others say. Wait til they see how much younger you look once you drop the weight. Wait til you feel how alive you feel when you complete your first tri. There is nothing like it. It helps to stop talking about it with the naysayers. Talk about it with folks that get it here on BT. I also started a blog where I could talk about it, and capture my progress and set backs. You can also join a local tri club or running or cycling club to find some people that are like minded. Good luck!

2013-05-19 9:39 AM

User image

Regular
Most people don't get it. You will find a lot of those people are unhealthy people who think you are crazy to do something like that. I used to work with a guy who was losing weight and he got down to a pretty good lean weight. People at work started making fun of him. Those people were not in the best of shape. I told him to start calling them fattty or other terms.... he was like no I will get in trouble. Acceptable one way but not the other ????

Anyways, almost all of my family thinks I am crazy for wanting to do an IM. They thought I was crazy to want to do a HIM. At the end of the day, you ask yourself this... Am I satisfied with how I am and who am I? If not then do something about it. If so well gosh can I be you as I find I always am working towards something.

Best of luck and oh get that knee taken care of first...
2013-05-19 9:57 AM
in reply to: spie34

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC
Screw em. An unfortunate part of human nature is that we tend to constantly whine about being in the sludge and then when one of our own begins to climb out of it, we try to pull them back down into it. I don't understand it but there it is. It isn't just fitness, it's anything someone tries to do to better themselves. Perhaps it makes us uncomfy when someone else decides to ignore all the negative "I can't do that because..." stuff that peeps keep in their heads.

End of story = good on ya and welcome to triathlon and BT. Enjoy the journey.

p.s. I have found that no amount of talk will quiet the naysayers, only example will. Just assure them that you'll be careful and get on with it.
2013-05-19 10:48 AM
in reply to: La Tortuga

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
OH Yea you bet ya, My coworkers think I am some Kind of aliean, at 58 when they see me heading out to the pool ,or running on my lunch hour, and they Know that I am awaiting for surgury on My Knee , yes they just dont get it, they don't understand that I am heathier now then I have ever been in my life, even with injuries aches and pains, Injuries Heal, aches and pains go away and I feel better then I have in years at the end of the day. Thier Loss My gain.
2013-05-19 10:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
I guess I was the lucky one in the group. I started last year at age 56 and waayy over weight. My family and friends for the most part were both understanding and encouraging. Many thought I was crazy (not a new adjective for me) but they were understanding nonetheless.

Then 6 weeks ago I had a cycling accident and fractured my hip. I really expected to hear a lot of 'give it up' and 'too old' comments. But no, just when can you gat back to training.

I think it may have to do with how much better I look having lost 60# and am doing things they only wish they could. It did actually get my older brother to buy a bike and ride around the neighborhood.

So sorry, while I hear this a lot from others, thankfully I can't relate!
2013-05-19 10:53 AM

User image

Regular
Most people are already dead. They don't do anything, nor do they want to do anything. They are just waiting for the end.

I woke up and decided that was not the life for me anymore! I wanted to challenge myself to do something most people will never do. Most people can't swim 400 or 800 meters, ride a bike 13 miles or run 3.1 miles, let alone do all 3 back to back. Now that I can do that, I feel better about myself. I lost 30 pounds, decreased body fat from 26.2 to 18.3, and got my heart healthy. Now I feel better, I sleep better, have more energy, etc., etc....

I now count myself among those who would rather wear out than rust away!

The hardest lesson in life to learn is that you can't change someone else. As was said above, you can be an example though.

There was a good thread about his about 2-3 months ago here. It had to do with marathons specifically, IIRC.

BT has helped me a lot along the way!

2013-05-19 12:04 PM

Don't worry. WE get you.
2013-05-19 12:48 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
I just ignore those who don't get it. If someone seems genuinely interested, I'll talk about it...

Pretty much only triathletes know whats up, and there's no explaining to do.

The reason the average person can't understand is because they haven't gone that far with endurance sports and have no clue.
It seems impossible to their mind.

People generally don't like doing something hard, as easy is better.

Plus if their friends don't do anything like tri's, most likely that sets the precedent. "Can't be different" is the mentality..otherwise you're CRAZY
2013-05-19 1:20 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Lots of really good stuff here already. (I loved the remote controlled helicopter example) It's great that you've decided to change your life and get fit.  Hopefully, you have a few people in your circle that "get it" and are supportive.  If not, you've got BT, and yes, we get it.

There are all different kinds of "not getting it".  I had an interesting discussion with a couple of women the other day at the gym who exercise with the sole purpose of "staying skinny" (they're words, not mine).  While I have very low BF, I am not--nor have I ever been--"skinny".  They were asking me why I haven't gotten smaller with all of the training  I do.  Hmmm.  Smaller?  We sort of went back and forth a bit, and I was trying to be courteous, but they were not "getting" the performance aspect of training.  One said (and I'm paraphrasing), "Why not just work out less, and be thin--you know, not so muscular." 

Wow.

OK.  We just have a totally different set of goals.  Not that these things need not be mutually exclusive, but it sure would be nice if more people understood that fitness goals are not always just about how you look in your jeans or your bathing suit. 

2013-05-19 1:52 PM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
I'm going to say something dickish and elitist which has nothing to do with triathlon. Deciding to take up triathlon is nothing special, but I love it and it may be part of saving my life.

The thing is, if my reading of society is even 20% accurate, then the last thing you want is to have everyone nod in agreement that you're doing something sensible. I mean, it seems that what is popular, accepted as the norm, the good life, is more and more based on lack of exertion, unappreciate criticism and consumption of others' creativity, obsession with the worst of humanity glorified in "reality" tv, defining yourself by a ridiculously expensive vehicle, buying jewelry and clothes that some magazine told us to, watching cooking shows but never actually cooking real food, twittering about celebrity gossip, and spending hours online to find the best price on cruises where you can do nothing but eat and eat and drink and drink and eat and eat.

Endurance sports, in and of themselves, are not necessarily always a better way to spend one's time and money, but they have helped to focus me in the direction I always craved: be a do-er, not just a watcher.

In other words, screw what the majority thinks. The majority think that artistic talent is discovered on American Idol. the majority recognizes any random Kardashian more readily than the Secretary of State. The majority are self-made idiots who ask nothing of themselves, but demand the world to entertain them instantly all the time, so long as that entertainment is brain-mushing lowest-common-denominator crap that reinforces their own uninformed prejudices. In the words of Louis CK, non-contributing product sponge ****s.

I'm really not misanthropic or anti-America or anything. But when hear anyone beat down by the race to medicrioty as if doing something for yourself not dictated by fast-food advertising, makes YOU ithe weird one, I get reactionary. You know what's weird? Sitting on a couch drinking sugar water in a bottle labeled Gatorade, while watching some other person bounce a ball on a screen. That's weird. Screw em. Get out there and move. Just don't expect anyone at the office to care. When you exhibit being a happier and healthier person and someone asks what's different, then tell them. Or do what all 40ish overweight people are required to do. Start a blog and write as if anyone else actually cares. Weird thing is, eventually someone will. Someone who gets it, and wants in on the conversation. That's been my experience anyway.

2013-05-19 1:59 PM
in reply to: TheClaaaw

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by TheClaaaw I'm going to say something dickish and elitist which has nothing to do with triathlon. Deciding to take up triathlon is nothing special, but I love it and it may be part of saving my life.

The thing is, if my reading of society is even 20% accurate, then the last thing you want is to have everyone nod in agreement that you're doing something sensible. I mean, it seems that what is popular, accepted as the norm, the good life, is more and more based on lack of exertion, unappreciate criticism and consumption of others' creativity, obsession with the worst of humanity glorified in "reality" tv, defining yourself by a ridiculously expensive vehicle, buying jewelry and clothes that some magazine told us to, watching cooking shows but never actually cooking real food, twittering about celebrity gossip, and spending hours online to find the best price on cruises where you can do nothing but eat and eat and drink and drink and eat and eat.

Endurance sports, in and of themselves, are not necessarily always a better way to spend one's time and money, but they have helped to focus me in the direction I always craved: be a do-er, not just a watcher.

In other words, screw what the majority thinks. The majority think that artistic talent is discovered on American Idol. the majority recognizes any random Kardashian more readily than the Secretary of State. The majority are self-made idiots who ask nothing of themselves, but demand the world to entertain them instantly all the time, so long as that entertainment is brain-mushing lowest-common-denominator crap that reinforces their own uninformed prejudices. In the words of Louis CK, non-contributing product sponge ****s.

I'm really not misanthropic or anti-America or anything. But when hear anyone beat down by the race to medicrioty as if doing something for yourself not dictated by fast-food advertising, makes YOU ithe weird one, I get reactionary. You know what's weird? Sitting on a couch drinking sugar water in a bottle labeled Gatorade, while watching some other person bounce a ball on a screen. That's weird. Screw em. Get out there and move. Just don't expect anyone at the office to care. When you exhibit being a happier and healthier person and someone asks what's different, then tell them. Or do what all 40ish overweight people are required to do. Start a blog and write as if anyone else actually cares. Weird thing is, eventually someone will. Someone who gets it, and wants in on the conversation. That's been my experience anyway.

You are ridiculously awesome!  Really well said.

2013-05-19 2:00 PM
in reply to: TheClaaaw

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Originally posted by TheClaaaw

The thing is, if my reading of society is even 20% accurate, then the last thing you want is to have everyone nod in agreement that you're doing something sensible.

well we should be glad that not all agree with "our" lifestyle...just think how clogged the races would be? there would be so many running, biking and swimming you'd never get a workout in!!!
selfish I know.
2013-05-19 3:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Tempe, Arizona
All the time!!! I was 45 and very overweight in the autumn of 2009, when I went to a local triathlon to cheer on a couple of friends who were racing. I got chatting to, and inspired by, a 72-year old ex-triathlon lady who was volunteering at the race, and I made a promise to myself that I would do the sprint race next year. I secretly started training (first biking like you, then adding swimming, and finally running) and started to lose weight and dramatically change shape. After 6 months of 'secret training', I confessed "my tri dream" to fellow tri-friends and my boss, co-workers and family. My two tri-friends were absolutely fantastic, offering advice/motivation/training tips/much needed kicks up the backside However, my boss, close co-workers, and most of my family thought I was "nuts", saying things like "you'll injure yourself/won't live as long(?!)/shouldn't be doing this at your age, with your medical problems" One year later, I completed my very first triathlon, and it's changed my life. I feel more alive, more healthy, more active, and I've met and made friends with some amazing, inspirational, and motivated people on this new journey in my life. Apparently, I've even inspired a few co-workers to take up century cycling, running, and their own weight loss goals.

Don't get me wrong, like you I've had injures, but I've always been supported by the majority of my doctors. In fact, my current doc (a runner) thinks the 'negative people' are insane for saying all these things. The doc and nurses absolutely love what I do, and they recently told me that she brags about me to her other patients. Last year, they even installed a couple of bike racks outside the medical centre, as I had no-where to lock up my bike when I first visited

Keep doing what you're doing, ignore the 'negative people", and remember that we're here for you and we COMPLETELY "get you".
2013-05-19 5:15 PM
in reply to: Meljoypip

User image

Middle Tennessee
Originally posted by Meljoypip

YES, I know what it feels like for people not to understand me choosing to do triathlon!! I live in a small southern town & wish I was 42!!

WHen I first started thinking about triathlon I was looking at a bike and asked my 15 YO son what he thought and he said "I dont think you should get it, you will never do this mom" for real! (but that is typical teenager negativity)

Anyway, I have trained all the harder because of that comment and he WILL be at the finish line!!

Other people in town think I am crazy for sure but most of those think sitting on a porch swing is a sport, are sedentary themselves and in poor health. But SOME of those who thought I was crazy to begin with are interested in triathlon themselves now- including all three of my sons.

When I first started thinking about this I was not even sure if people my age (47) did triathlon so I started researching and read about THIS LADY. Talk about inspiration!!! So the next one who says you are too old say oh no -Sister Modanna did a full Ironman at 82!!!

AND- Who cases who 'gets' you!! Be true to yourself, make good choices (getting in shape is a good choice!!), and think about the example you are being for them!! 

I live in a small Southern town too. My neighbors look at me like I'm of the devil when I roll out of my driveway on my Tri bike wearing an aero helmet! But I'm 45 years old, healthy as a horse and on zero medications and suffering no lifestyle choices medical problems such as diabetes, heart disease,etc. unlike half the people my age in my little corner of the world. So those of us who choose to reach beyond limitations and challenge ourselves in the crazy sport of triathlon must be doing something right!!
2013-05-19 5:20 PM
in reply to: tri808

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Originally posted by tri808

It's common that people don't understand something that's foreign to them. Almost every morning I run, I see this guy flying his remote control helicopter. He brings his workbench and all his tools and tinkers with it...flys it again...rinse/repeat...pretty much 4x a week (at least that I see him).

Every time I pass him I think to myself that he needs to get a life, but he probably thinks the same thing about me.

That dude is almost exactly the same as you. I love that guy, you have to. People that discover their passions in life and are completely unashamed, and even consumed by them, are in my experience the happiest sons of b*tches on the planet. You are who you are, so be it 100%, no excuses. Triathletes are geeks, no denying it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » They don't get me. Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

I don't mind getting dropped

Started by Tri-Fire
Views: 821 Posts: 3

2012-07-15 8:57 PM RBesecke

OOps wrong turn on bike, getting dark...wait deer don't you see me

Started by Puppetmaster
Views: 840 Posts: 5

2009-09-06 6:28 AM ericd256

Don't just get fitted for shoes....

Started by lincsguyus
Views: 638 Posts: 1

2004-04-19 11:10 AM lincsguyus

question for the ladies (men, don't peek)

Started by ccessex
Views: 1189 Posts: 12

2004-04-04 11:45 AM marty12550

New and don't know anything

Started by Nancy
Views: 1186 Posts: 5

2004-02-17 10:01 PM Michael
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 21, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
Part Three: What's Reality Got to Do with Anything Old?

date : September 16, 2011
Part Two: On Appreciation and Acceptance. At some point your body will let you down. Then you have to decide whether it is really the enemy.
date : August 19, 2011
comments : 1
Part One: On Speed, Desire and Age. There are some advantages to running slowly. Now, give me a minute here and I'll try to think of one.

date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?
date : April 22, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
Find out which sports nutrition practices effectively enhance performance. What and when you eat powerfully impacts how well you can perform.

date : September 15, 2008
author : lcthomas74
Soon after I got married, I decided I needed to get motivated to work out and focus on getting back into shape. I could barely jog a quarter-mile without needing a walk break.
date : July 8, 2008
author : amyro1234
Ever since I was 11 years old and first heard the word "triathlon" mentioned, I have made it my vow to do one. But what 11 year old does triathlons?”

date : April 9, 2005
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
Males should be screened from their twenties onward with a fasting lipid profile to assess overall cardiovascular disease risk.