General Discussion Race Reports! » Fort Desoto Triathlon Series #1 - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Fort Desoto Triathlon Series #1 - Sprint Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
St. Petersburg, Florida
United States
MultiRace
73F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 00m 59s
Overall Rank = 13/106
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/13
Pre-race routine:

Got up and had a glass of orange juice with some bread with peanut butter and jelly. Then drove to the race site. Got there 50 minutes before race time and set up my transition pretty quickly.
Event warmup:

Got in the water and swam about 400 meters. The water was really nice and I was feeling great.
Swim
  • 04m 14s
  • 440 yards
  • 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

Since when I was warming up I saw the swim was really short I just went at it fast. I got clear of the pack and followed a friend who was the fastest swimmer overall and got to shore about 10 second after him.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 03m 7s
Comments:

It was a good transition, I lost my balance once when trying to get into the bike shoes. The run to transition sucks though, since there is a patch of tough surface with little pebbles that are pretty hard on the soles of your feet.
Bike
  • 26m 16s
  • 10 miles
  • 22.84 mile/hr
Comments:

I went hard on the bike, since this is what has worked for me for getting on the podium in this kind of races. In the first half I stayed close to a group of "almost leaders" (the really fast guys were gone) and after the turn around I kicked it in and passed them and was by myself for most of it.

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

I was tired, so I did not move as fast in this transition. It was still OK, but I lost time compared to most people.

Try to focus on being efficient and not fumble around so much.
Run
  • 26m 20s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Seems that after the upgrade in the site, the pace is being generated incorrectly, since it should be slightly lower than 8:30. Anyway, when I started the run and I saw how loose the sand was I feared I was going to have trouble. However, I forced myself to disregard that issue and focus on remaining strong. It worked and I kept it nice and steady and once I made it to the asphalt I even had the energy to kick it a little.

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a little and waited for friends to finish. Had some water, a banana, some watermelon, and a sandwich. Then waited for the podium ceremony, got my medal and drove home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not much, it was a nearly perfectly executed race based on my current ability.

Event comments:

They are getting better with their race organization. My main complaint has to do with the fact that the swim was way too short. I understand the swim not being exactly measured, but almost half of what it should be?

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-05-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:14 | 440 yards | 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/13
Overall: 4/106
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: It was a run in with dolphin dives then swimming parallel to shore and then turning right and reaching shore. The distance was not even close to what it was supposed to be though. It was maybe 250 m.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:07
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:26:16 | 10 miles | 22.84 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/13
Overall: 15/106
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back, flat.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:03
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:26:20 | 03.1 miles | 07m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/13
Overall: 26/106
Course: First half is on "packed" sand and second half on asphalt. Now the packed comment was not really true, since several sections were really loose and it was almost impossible to get good footing in those.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-05-19 2:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Tampa
Subject: Fort Desoto Triathlon Series #1 - Sprint Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Fort Desoto Triathlon Series #1 - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Fort Desoto Triathlon Series #3

Started by sebaf74
Views: 1019 Posts: 1

2012-09-29 5:23 PM sebaf74

Fort Desoto Triathlon Series #2

Started by sebaf74
Views: 826 Posts: 1

2012-08-25 5:07 PM sebaf74

Fort Desoto Triathlon Series #1

Started by buc20
Views: 770 Posts: 1

2012-07-16 3:02 PM buc20

Fort Desoto Triathlon Series #1

Started by TrkHilo2k
Views: 849 Posts: 1

2012-07-14 4:17 PM TrkHilo2k

Fort Desoto Triathlon Series #2

Started by sebaf74
Views: 672 Posts: 1

2012-07-14 3:42 PM sebaf74
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 7, 2008
author : Ontherun
comments : 0
In part 2 of this series on mid-range fullsuits, we review the De Soto Black Pearl Bibjohn & Pullover combination for comfort, warmth, buoyancy and performance.

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : January 1, 2008
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!
date : December 3, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : November 22, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!

date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.