General Discussion Race Reports! » Honolulu Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Honolulu Triathlon - Olympic Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Honolulu, Hawaii
United States
Honolulu Triathlon
Total Time = 2h 40m 46s
Overall Rank = 322/854
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 11/51
Pre-race routine:

Second attempt at this race, wanted to improve my time from last year since I feel that I'm better trained and have a tri bike this year.

Woke up at 3:30 wondering why on earth triathlons have to start so ridiculously early in the morning. Checked the Cleveland Marathon results as my parents were running, they were over half done at that point in what turned out to be a a really hot day up there.

Headed downtown wondering why traffic couldn't always be this awesome. Set up and did all the usual prerace stuff.
Swim
  • 30m 45s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

I have really started to enjoy swimming and though I don't feel like I'm getting any faster, it is a lot more comfortable for me. Had a pretty good heart rate spike at the beginning, but was able to settle myself fairly quickly. Tried really hard to not think about sharks. I hate swimming in the ocean.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, this was a good swim for me and I feel like I sighted pretty well. All those 5 am swim sessions appear to be helping as I wasn't tired at any point.
Transition 1
  • 02m 8s
Comments:

No issues here, mounting wasn't very graceful, but I didn't fall over or run into anyone, so let's call it a win.

Practicing mounting, not something I ever think about doing.
Bike
  • 1h 15m 31s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.74 mile/hr
Comments:

I love that I live here and that I was very familiar with the route. Though I don't ride downtown very often, I do drive Nimitz on my way to work so I was very familiar with the distance and what to expect. It was nice riding in the middle of the street as all of the rocks and glass are off on the side. I expected Kam Hwy to be rough, but it was better than I expected in places. Really needs a new paving job, but boy is that going to be annoying when they close the road to do it.

Lagoon went pretty well, they had us on the rougher side of the road though which made it tough to pass. Wind didn't seem nearly as bad as I had expected it to be. It can be a real doozy out there. After I made the turn back onto Nimitz there was another rider that must have just gone down, there were already two people stopped with him and a volunteer and police officer running to assist. I figured that the situation did not need someone else so I kept moving.

Uneventful back to the park, road on top of my shoes for the last bit, but need to work on my dismount, again hadn't practiced that recently either.

Drank about 32 oz of water and ate 3/4 of a granola bar.

4 minutes faster than last year. Probably a combo of better fitness and a faster bike. I don't have a computer on my new bike so I'm not sure if that would have made me dial back the speed or if it would have pushed me to go a bit faster.
Transition 2
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

Made sure to count the trees back to my spot, but I miscounted and had to back track. Oops. Grabbed what I needed and left. No issues. 1 second slower than last year.
Run
  • 50m 59s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Wasn't sure how this was going to go, I've been running a lot slower later with my IM training. My pace was much better than I expected it to be, a minute faster than last year as well. Knowing the course really helped mentally. It was a bit different than last year, but seemed to go by a lot more quickly! Knowing what the last mile looked like helped tremendously because of all of the turns it took. I knew to not push it until I hit the sea wall.

The run was hot, but I had my Nathan bottle with me which helped. Not sure I'm looking forward to running twice that distance in 2 weeks at Honu, but I was pleased with the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Avoided the spam encounter this year. Had some watermelon and shave ice and then sat in the ocean for a bit. Was planning on stopping at Libby's after the race for a maunapua, but they were closed, biggest disappointment of the day!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

A good race for me. I was overtrained for the distance which is probably why everything seemed to go by so quickly. I think I'm actually sad that I probably won't still be living here next year to participate again.

Event comments:

This is a well run race. I would recommend it to anyone living here or visiting for the weekend.

Last updated: 2013-05-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:45 | 1640 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/51
Overall: 0/854
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:08
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:15:31 | 24.85 miles | 19.74 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:26
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:50:59 | 06.21 miles | 07m 19s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-05-19 10:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Virginia
Subject: Honolulu Triathlon - Olympic Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Honolulu Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Honolulu Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by mll1605
Views: 1417 Posts: 3

2012-05-21 6:47 AM Bevie

Started by mdr5448
Views: 865 Posts: 3

2012-05-21 12:31 AM tri808

Started by tri808
Views: 1784 Posts: 9

2012-06-03 10:11 PM HonoluluAngel

Started by metafizx
Views: 1532 Posts: 3

2011-05-16 7:50 PM metafizx

Started by tri808
Views: 1755 Posts: 13

2011-05-17 1:45 PM tri808
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!

date : July 11, 2007
author : Amy Kuitse
Discussions on training after adductor tendonitis, swimming drills, training after 3 down base weeks from allergies to get ready for a HIM, hill drills, Computrainer courses vs outside rides and more.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Any good race director will go over the triathlon swim course directions many times.

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.