General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I turned someone in for cutting the course! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-05-20 4:31 PM
in reply to: 1stTimeTri

User image

Miami
Subject: RE: I turned someone in for cutting the course!
I totally understand you and I think you did the right thing. I saw something similar in my last race. There was a turn that wasn't properly signaled, if you went left, you were ok. If you went right, you cut about 0.5 - 0.6 miles.

I honestly believe that a few people missed it accidentally. It almost happened to me, when I was getting to that turn I saw no signals and I thought it was a right turn, however, I saw an aid station on the far to my left that I didn't passed and turned that way instead. When I was running back through that same point I saw 4 guys turning right. I told them that it was a left turn and they ignored it and told me I was wrong. It pissed me off a lot (never saw people cheating in a race). Two of them end up beating me in the overall results by 10 and 22 seconds, which made me even madder. Also, I reviewed all results carefully and, although there were a ton of DQs, for a few people there were also very fast running times compare to slow-average swimming and biking splits.

I sent an email to the race organizers an they apologized for missing a turning signal (they realized after they saw runners missing the turn. They put a volunteer there giving directions) and for not being able to catch everybody. In my mind, I still don understand why would somebody cheat though.

2013-05-20 10:13 PM
in reply to: davidfedez

User image

Denton, TX
good for you James. You did the right thing and we should all do the same when observed. I understand this puts the RD in a precarious position, but so be it. That is not our problem. Now that I am thinking about this, if I see this garbage, I will also announce to the the cheater I am turning them in so there is no question about my intentions.

Golf is a sport that requires the ultimate in integrity - total self regulation. People with zero integrity bothers me as much as anything. I will make it my mission to ensure the RD confronts them so this person will be very hesitate to cheat again. I also would not have a problem commenting to them at the next TRI before the race if I saw them.

Apathy is one of the social problems that is growing within our country. I will not a proponent of apathy.
2013-05-21 12:11 AM
in reply to: Todd13

User image

Master
May not get caught this time, but eventually they will.  And even if they don't, you did the right thing, and they will have to live with themselves.
2013-05-21 7:28 AM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Regular
NSW
Good on you! I was in a club race, just a short practice one, and someone did one lap short on the bike. When we were running, I asked her how she got in front of me as she was behind the entire time, I am pretty slow so notice these things. I was not impressed, but apparently was not the only one to notice.
2013-05-21 8:59 AM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by jford2309

I think next time I will just say there is a timing may at the turnaround you are going to miss, and let that play around in his head!

I did this race a couple of years ago and you are right, there is a timing mat that he would have missed at the out/back turnaround point.

It sounds like someone that bit off more than they could chews and just wanted off the course.
2013-05-21 9:20 AM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

This weekend I saw a guy cut the course at my Olympic tri at Memphis in May. The guy was running towards me heading to the turnaround point when he crossed over the road to the shoulder on my side. We were running towards each other before he crossed over to given you an idea of what i saw. When he was on the shoulder I asked if he was alright and he replied it was just cramps. it was very hott yesterday and started to walk some immediately after I saw him, when I looked over and he was running besides me!

I asked him if he was all better and he said he was. I then told him he cut the course and I saw him run to the other side of the road where the runners were coming from the turnaround point. He then tried to tell me that he was with the relay, which I said "it doesn't matter, you still run the same 6.2 miles I am running" plus his race number was not a relay team number. He said he did not cut the course and that he did not have to explain anything to me. I said "no you don't, but if you cheat then you have to live with yourself"

that really made me mad, cause I know I saw this guy cut across the road to stretch! Why not stretch on your side of the road???

Anyways, once I finished the race, I found a race official and told him what happened. I am not sure if they did anything (I saw no penalty attached to this guys race number) but I know I did the right thing about calling him out on the spot and then telling a race official. This guy probably cut over 2 miles off the run by doing this.

This is the first time I have ever encountered someone blatantly cutting a course!

For people who don't know the Memphis in May course, there are two races, a sprint and an olympic. To make the run into a 10k, they take the sprint course and add a 3.5 mile out and back that does NOT have a timing mat around the turnaround. The out and back was freshly paved, so everyone was running on black pavement during what was the hottest many of the runners were racing. Anyone who was weak at heart would definitely be tempted to just hop to the other side and cut the course.

I really wish they would put a mat at the end of the turnaround. I emailed them last year about it, and I'll probably do the same again this year.

2013-05-21 9:56 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

NC
Originally posted by msteiner

I really wish they would put a mat at the end of the turnaround. I emailed them last year about it, and I'll probably do the same again this year.

You could send them a link to this thread. If I was the RD, I would want to know this discussion is happening. It might prompt some action.

2013-05-21 10:09 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by msteiner

This weekend I saw a guy cut the course at my Olympic tri at Memphis in May. The guy was running towards me heading to the turnaround point when he crossed over the road to the shoulder on my side. We were running towards each other before he crossed over to given you an idea of what i saw. When he was on the shoulder I asked if he was alright and he replied it was just cramps. it was very hott yesterday and started to walk some immediately after I saw him, when I looked over and he was running besides me!

I asked him if he was all better and he said he was. I then told him he cut the course and I saw him run to the other side of the road where the runners were coming from the turnaround point. He then tried to tell me that he was with the relay, which I said "it doesn't matter, you still run the same 6.2 miles I am running" plus his race number was not a relay team number. He said he did not cut the course and that he did not have to explain anything to me. I said "no you don't, but if you cheat then you have to live with yourself"

that really made me mad, cause I know I saw this guy cut across the road to stretch! Why not stretch on your side of the road???

Anyways, once I finished the race, I found a race official and told him what happened. I am not sure if they did anything (I saw no penalty attached to this guys race number) but I know I did the right thing about calling him out on the spot and then telling a race official. This guy probably cut over 2 miles off the run by doing this.

This is the first time I have ever encountered someone blatantly cutting a course!

For people who don't know the Memphis in May course, there are two races, a sprint and an olympic. To make the run into a 10k, they take the sprint course and add a 3.5 mile out and back that does NOT have a timing mat around the turnaround. The out and back was freshly paved, so everyone was running on black pavement during what was the hottest many of the runners were racing. Anyone who was weak at heart would definitely be tempted to just hop to the other side and cut the course.

They most definately had one there for Oly tri in 2011....I remember it distinctly.
2013-05-21 10:16 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

New user
Aurora, Illinois
Being from Mexico, I can recall this from about 6 years ago.

A corrupt politician will act the same way when competing in sports:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/mexican-furore-as-...

I was glad he got caught.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I turned someone in for cutting the course! Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

question about course cut-off times.

Started by Triacy
Views: 1096 Posts: 6

2013-01-28 3:40 PM Triacy

HITS Palm Springs 2012 - Drafting and Course Cutting Your Way To The Podium

Started by ChrisM
Views: 3393 Posts: 21

2012-12-07 7:59 AM sbsmann

Short Course / Long Course

Started by pga_mike
Views: 1075 Posts: 6

2009-08-12 10:44 AM the bear

Can someone decipher this bike course for me

Started by CVSURF
Views: 741 Posts: 3

2006-02-16 5:56 PM CVSURF

my first long course - Australian Long Course Champs

Started by Kestrel
Views: 973 Posts: 1

2005-03-01 7:32 PM Kestrel
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 22, 2010
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
The Doctor says a minimum of eight weeks before I'm back in the pool. I'm training for a HIM and wondering how quickly I can start running and what the recovery will be like.

date : January 14, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 12
This is a 3 step program on learning how to do flip turns. Also discussed is the importance of using flip turns during lap swimming.
date : March 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.

date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.
date : December 5, 2006
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 1
At some point in your triathlon career you will need to master the art of the flip turn to continue your swimming progress.

date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Any good race director will go over the triathlon swim course directions many times.
date : January 29, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on bricks, bike steering when reaching for hydration, and flip-turns.

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.