General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race winner did not complete the whole course/ People standing around in transition Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-20 11:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Race winner did not complete the whole course/ People standing around in transition
So have some questions to ask how on 2 handle 2 things that happened to me this at this weekend’s race.

I was racing at a local sprint tri that caters to all levels of athletes. It a pool swim and there are 18 waves. So that my kids could come see my race (and sleep a few hours later) a purposely put myself in one of the last waves even though I would eventually end up near the top of my age group time wise.

Problem #1
I like to sit out on the course and watch the first few waves go by because it’s fun to see the good swimmers do their thing and try to win the overall race. While watch this year I noticed that one of the racers only did 4 of the 5 bike laps that he was supposed to do. I did not think much of it as I figured timing and scoring would catch this as they had mats that you sticking around for the awards it turns out they give this guy first place. Do I say something or just let it go? I have not skin in the game as I do not know any of the people involved.

Problem #2
When I came out of the swim (Wave 16 of 18) there are people wandering around transition oblivious that I am still racing. After winding through the crowd. I get to my transition area and 2 guys are talking right in front of my transition area. I yelled as I was coming to move out of the way but they just stood there until I just push my way around them I clipped one of the guys with my bike as I was leaving (I think they may have final got the hint at that point). The Good end to the story is that I did beat both those guys by a pretty good margin. Are there any good ways to handle this?

Edited by BuckHamilton 2013-05-20 11:30 AM

2013-05-20 11:33 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
Subject: RE: Race winner did not complete the whole course/ People standing around in transition
Originally posted by BuckHamilton

• ... Are there any good ways to handle this?

• Don't do that race again next year. 6 lap bike and a pool swim with 18+ waves doesn't sound like a fun event to me anyway.

Edited by JZig 2013-05-20 11:34 AM
    2013-05-20 11:43 AM
    in reply to: BuckHamilton

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
    The Road Back
    Gold member
    Subject: RE: Race winner did not complete the whole course/ People standing around in transition
    Wouldn't it be obvious on his bike split (time/speed) that he didn't do the proper distance? I know there is a local sprint with a two-lap bike, and every year there are a few participants that average like 38mph.
    2013-05-20 11:47 AM

User image

Champion
    Sarasota, FL

Based on your description, it sounds like it was more of a beginner's race with the pool swim and the multi-lap bike course.  Not worth getting upset about what other folks might or might not have done.  If it bothers you that much I'd offer the same advice to not do it again.

Mark

2013-05-20 12:07 PM
    in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
    As far as the cheating, his time should have been a clear indicator to officials as it would be approximately 20% shorter than the next time. It should also be visible in the results, just as much as the chick that walked one lap in an ironman race instead of doing both laps. The results tell everything.

As far as the people, that is one of the negative things about crowd control. After a race, it is difficult to keep people from getting their stuff until the last person finishes. When people finish, they get their gear and do whatever free will tells them to do.

One time at a race, we watched the awards ceremony and then took off. There will still several people out on the course, which at this point shared the road with exiting traffic. I kept thinking about how discouraging it would be to be riding your bike and knowing that most everybody is done with the race, packed up, and leaving.

We have a "Sports Weekend" here that has a sprint, Olympic, and HIM on the same day. Because people are coming and going all day, you can expect people to be hanging out in the transition area and milling about...but the course is so great nobody cares about that aspect.

Edited by lifejustice 2013-05-20 12:08 PM
    2013-05-20 12:15 PM

User image

Master
    Straight outta Compton
    The two guys standing in transition- were they racers or spectators?

If the former, they should know better. I'd personally have no problem being a total Richard to them.
    If the latter, USAT or the R.D. should be managing better.

Sounds like a newb kind of race, you can always vote with your wallet and not do it again.

2013-05-20 12:29 PM
    in reply to: the bear

Master
    Northern IL

Originally posted by the bear Wouldn't it be obvious on his bike split (time/speed) that he didn't do the proper distance? I know there is a local sprint with a two-lap bike, and every year there are a few participants that average like 38mph.

Is it always going to be really obvious when there are 5 laps though? It's 6 minutes on a course of ~30 minutes or so (which is quite significant), but I've put about that about much on others up sorta near the front.

New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race winner did not complete the whole course/ People standing around in transition Rss Feed  
    RELATED POSTS

2012 Olympics Tri course -- racers lament lack of hills

Started by Mike_D
    Views: 1577 Posts: 20

2012-06-23 3:53 AM gsmacleod

Injured: How Do I Reduce Fitness Loss And Not Turn Into A Complete Blob

Started by Tundra_Man
    Views: 1625 Posts: 17

2010-06-26 6:43 AM monkeyboy64

T0 - staying warm while you stand around

Started by Pacific John
    Views: 668 Posts: 1

2010-03-29 5:55 PM Pacific John

Do you sit or stand in transitions? Pages: 1 2

Started by Sharona1973
    Views: 1379 Posts: 33

2006-07-14 2:22 PM autigers_1998

Stupid people can ruin your whole day <rant>

Started by ertman
    Views: 1280 Posts: 17

2006-05-25 10:05 PM PintoRacer
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : February 22, 2010
    author : mrakes1
    comments : 0
    Discussions on caloric needs for weightloss and workouts plus whole wheat breads.

date : February 23, 2009
    author : mrakes1
    I usually have at least one workout per day, sometimes two or three, but I spend about all in-between time eating. I am not gaining weight, but I am not losing weight either. Should I be concerned?
    date : March 9, 2007
    author : mikericci
    Nutrition and pacing strategies for the beginner and intermediate sprint racers

date : June 21, 2006
    author : Team BT
    Standing Calf Raises strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
    date : June 21, 2006
    Standing Lunges strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : May 1, 2006
    author : codytriguy
    Arnold Ceniceros, a great racer and an even better sportsman.
    date : March 5, 2006
    author : sport88
    The mental, the physical and all the rest. I have come to realize one of the most important sides of sports is mental.

date : December 14, 2004
    Q&A with Siri Lagley, winner of the ITU President’s Cup racing series two years in a row and coach of Susan Williams, US Athens triathlete.