General Discussion Race Reports! » Red Bank Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Red Bank Triathlon - Sprint Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Red Bank, New Jersey
United States
Sandy Hookers Triathlon Club
58F / 14C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 31m 57s
Overall Rank = 51/221
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 7/20
Pre-race routine:

out of bed 4:30, yogurt granola banana hydrate, power bar, stretch, pack up and head to race to setup.
Event warmup:

some stretching, wanted to swim but had to spend morning fixing a rear flat on new wheels, got bike and transition area all setup and relaxed with several trips to porta potti, did a little swim pre start to get used to water temp.
Swim
  • 12m 50s
  • 536 meters
  • 02m 23s / 100 meters
Comments:

crowded swim but good experience and now know what to work on more, (breathing, sighting, better rhythm).
What would you do differently?:

try to start more towards front to get away from slower swimmers. I would rather have strong swimmers pass me then trying to get pass and get around erratic slow/stopping swimmers.
Transition 1
  • 02m 21s
Comments:

ladders at end of swim course had at least a 30 second wait time, climbed up onto dock had to remove watch and then pull arm out of wet suit and put watch back on. Put warm pull over on for bike ride. this was a good move as the bike would have been very cold on my "Rocket" of a bike :)

run faster to bike. Need to start practicing shoes pre clipped in on bike and running bike mount
Bike
  • 49m 1s
  • 15.88 miles
  • 19.44 mile/hr
Comments:

first race of season and first race with new Cervelo P3 and new Flo wheels. This bike is a rocket and handled so well especially with wet conditions and riding on new tires and wheels for first time.

Make sure tubes are holding air and ready to go before the morning of the race. I should have ridden on new wheels and tires before racing on them, but they and I did great.
Transition 2
  • 01m 58s
Comments:

need to learn how to leave shoes clipped in and unstrap as I come to dismount area. Went sockless with bike shoes and they felt great.

be quicker to get running socks on or just go sockless. with all the rain I think it was a good idea to take the extra 30 seconds to put socks on.
Run
  • 25m 43s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

start the run easy to get my legs under me and see how my ankles were feeling. I have been having some muscle/tendon issues and haven't been able to run train for a few weeks. Legs felt great so I gradually picked up run pace and felt I had a strong run.

I felt like I was holding back a bit and was afraid to push and bring on the ankle pain. Probably could have gone a little harder.
Post race
Warm down:

Cross finish and find garbage can so I can dry heave and throwup some gatorade. I know its a good race when I puke at the finish line!! :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim was difficult to site, transitions times can be improved, and lack of confidence in lower legs during run.

Event comments:

Overall for my first race of the season on a new bike I was very happy with the results. Enjoyed the course and Red Bank. First race with new race club, RTA Nation!

Last updated: 2013-05-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:50 | 536 meters | 02m 23s / 100meters
Age Group: 11/20
Overall: 115/221
Performance: Average
Suit: wetsuit
Course: simple course in Navesink River, large group of white caps (221), very murky water no visibility and crowded, had to site many times which caused no rhythm to swim.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:21
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:49:01 | 15.88 miles | 19.44 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/20
Overall: 24/221
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: nice course some steady uphills and down hills, nothing to drastic. nice work by police and volunteers at intersections.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:58
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:25:43 | 03.11 miles | 07m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/20
Overall: 88/221
Performance: Good
Course: nice run course basically flat couple of gradual up and down hills as you approach and cross the river.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-05-20 11:28 AM

User image

Waldwick
Subject: Red Bank Triathlon - Sprint Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Red Bank Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Outer Banks Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by SoberMike
Views: 1349 Posts: 2

2012-09-28 9:39 PM BigDH

Red Bank Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by maxman
Views: 616 Posts: 1

2012-07-16 10:09 AM maxman

Red Bank Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by rical
Views: 952 Posts: 2

2013-05-05 4:56 PM brittlovestri

Red Bank Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by runtotheriver
Views: 925 Posts: 1

2012-05-21 1:48 PM runtotheriver

Red Bank Triathlon

Started by sbkass
Views: 1651 Posts: 1

2011-05-17 5:09 PM sbkass
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : January 1, 2008
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : November 22, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Any good race director will go over the triathlon swim course directions many times.

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.