General Discussion Triathlon Talk » So, what about your rest days? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-20 1:04 PM

User image

Subject: So, what about your rest days?

I guess the norm around here is to train SBR each 2x times per week. Throw in 3x weight training, and am starting to run into schedule issues. plus i also like to play tennis once a week atleast, and am getting overwhelmed

"rest days" are kinda getting hard to come by. i read everywhere its wise to have atleast one day of rest per week.

So my question is, does a rest day have to be complete rest, or is it just a rest from SBR. for example a day with only say one session of weight training for an hour, does it consider as rest day?

oh btw, am only training for Oly distance, so maybe i should just shut up and get on with it :p

how do you guys manage your endurance and weight training sessions? and many days do you rest per week. thanks

2013-05-20 2:25 PM
in reply to: piok_opze

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: So, what about your rest days?
My priority is traithlon performance. I do no weight training. And I SBR more like 3/3/5 (or 3/3/6 or 3/4/5 or something like that). Rest is important. Whether that means a "rest day" is less important. It may, or it may not, require a "day". And it may, or may not, need to be regular (weekly, etc). I prefer to take my rest days when I happen to need them (either for "other commitments" or because "my body needs it").

If you like to do other activities (like tennis), you just have to see how it fits into your schedule and how much added rest it may require from other training activities.
2013-05-20 2:39 PM

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
Here is my two cents. A rest day for me is no strenuous type of exercise, especially S/B/R. On rest days I will play catch with the kids, bump a volleyball, shoot some hoops, but nothing that gets my heart rate up. I don't weight train at all, but do some sit ups and obliques when watching TV.

I found that if I train 6 days a week, I am always fatigued and the generally quality of my workouts suffer. I am still following the same training plan, but have moved some workouts to double up whenever possible to make sure I train 5 and rest 2 days a week. For me, it has worked well.

2013-05-20 2:42 PM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
A rest day is exactly that, a day of rest... no lifting etc. You need to let your body recover to take advantage of the training your putting in, and you need to take care of life so that doesn't get in the way of training.
2013-05-20 2:43 PM
in reply to: Swimbikeron

User image

Regular
I really try to get in a rest day once a week. If not than I try to make sure the day I am supposed to rest is a day with lighter workouts. Life just pops up and messes with training once in a while so I just make those adjustments. If you are training enough though you will tend to look forward to the rest day you have scheduled.

The rest days are also those mental days that help you stay focused. So really do try to put them in.
2013-05-20 2:49 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

I think for a lot of us, working in the rest is a challenge.  I try to listen to my body and put it in when I need it, rather than necessarily sticking to a strict schedule.  I like to do strength training too, but I have backed off a bit now that we are in season.  Perhaps you might consider bumping your strength training down either in time or frequency until your oly is done?

I don't have a full day off very often, but I do have days with much lower intensity than others.  They sorta feel like off days;)

Another thing to consider is that maybe your rest day isn't a "day" completely off, but rather training in the am on one day, not training that same afternoon, and then not training again until the following day's pm.  This would mean not technically having a calendar day "off," but it would mean your body wouldn't be training within a 24 hour period.

2013-05-20 2:51 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
Your body will tell you when you need a rest day or maybe even a few, Ignore it at your own peril, ignoring it will usually result in a rest anyway due to some form of injury. A rest day should be Just that No Strenious Physical activety period if possible at least in My book. I sometimes go 2 ,3 weeks with out taking a rest day and then I might take 2 or 3 rest days in the same week sometimes, it all depends how I am feeling and what the Boss Is telling me about his condition today. I try to be as flexable with my training as I can as well, It is not written in stone that tuesday is run day, or wed is swim & bike day, Ect,Ect,
some weeks I might get 4 swims, 3 bikes & 2 runs, the next it might be 4 runs, 2 bikes , and, 2 swims, the week after it could be 5 swims 3 bikes and no runs, as long as the averages are working out similar over a month or two, I figure that's OK.

Edited by RRH_88 2013-05-20 2:52 PM
2013-05-20 2:53 PM
in reply to: spie34

User image

Pro
If I feel the need for a rest day I work out in the morning of one day and then not until the afternoon oif the next.....there ....36 hours...rest.
2013-05-20 3:08 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

thanks for the input guys

I quite like the idea of working AM one day and not working until PM/evening of the next. That gives almost 36 hours break between workouts

If i adjust my schedule carefully, i think i can include one or even 2 of those per week
2013-05-20 5:41 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
I typically have a busy schedule and quite honestly its more stressful to me to have to squeeze in 2-3 workouts on my busier days so I can a "rest day" on my busiest day that gives me no rest at all. I do have a coach and I have been at this a long time now. my "rest day" is a day with a lighter workout and only one workout. Learn to listen to your body and do what makes you happy ad works well with your life
2013-05-20 6:59 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I typically take one "rest" day per week. (in quotes because I have a very active job and live in a developing country with no car, thus lots of errands on foot. The only time I truly rest is occasionally on vacation and when I'm really sick!) Fridays I usually don't swim/bike/run. I usually do a strength workout, but it's mostly maintenance/injury prevention stuff rather than lifting that would make me sore. Occasionally if I'm feeling sore or it's really hot, I'll do an easy swim of 1000-1500m. It's not a "workout", just a leisurely cooloff. I often use the extra time to catch up on work from the week or plan the next week. And sometimes I just go have a beer. Friday "off" works for me as owing to job demands, traffic, pool hours, and climate, ALL my long workouts (SBR) are on the weekend (long run and long swim Saturday, long ride and usually brick run Sunday). Then I don't train again until a Monday PM swim workout. It works for me. YMMV

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » So, what about your rest days? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

easy spin/recovery ride vs pure rest day between hard days

Started by bgeyeguy
Views: 3394 Posts: 8

2011-07-14 6:19 PM MonkeyClaw

Light swim day = Rest day

Started by bgeyeguy
Views: 1770 Posts: 5

2010-12-31 10:01 PM disturbed275

What Day Is Your Scheduled Rest Day?

Started by TRI G33K
Views: 1325 Posts: 25

2009-12-22 9:06 AM mmrocker13

What Day Is Your Rest Day(s) Pages: 1 2

Started by ENP
Views: 1996 Posts: 33

2009-08-16 1:13 PM mndymond

When is a rest day not a rest day?

Started by divegirlrox
Views: 1412 Posts: 10

2008-04-29 8:59 AM chadtower
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 19, 2010
author : Patrick McCrann
comments : 1
Part 2 is about race day pacing, warming up and a discussion on the usefulness of powermeters and heart-rate monitors for half and full Iron distance races.

date : May 5, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
A few tips for beginners during taper week to settle your nerves. Includes a race day checklist and some race day tips.
date : November 16, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
Learn more about protein intake, iron, post exercise food, recovering with carbs and protein, rest days, fluids and sodium.

date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon
date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
Is there a magic number of days off for your training plan? Is it a one size fits all or an an individual choice?

date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.
date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 2
Becoming a Better Animal: How to Effectively Use Your Heart Rate Monitor.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
Becoming a Better Animal: How to Effectively Use Your Heart Rate Monitor.