General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Completed my first HIM.. poor bike performance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-20 1:22 PM

User image

Subject: Completed my first HIM.. poor bike performance
Hi all,
I finished my first HIM on May 11 in 7h03 (0:37, 4:01, 2:09) , it is also my first triathlon ever ! I had no endurance background before this HIM and I used the BT 20 week training program. I am actually happy that I got to the finish line but I am disappointed with my bike performance. The bike course was tough (HIM Mallorca), but I believe I could have done better with more appropriate bike training. I have already registered for the same HIM in 2014 and I would like to make a significant improvement in my bike time. . Any advice/ suggestions ? Any help would be much appreciated!

2013-05-20 2:15 PM
in reply to: Lassaad

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Completed my first HIM.. poor bike performance
Congrats on finishing your first tri! And a HIM, to boot!

Ride lots and ride hard. As often as possible. Start now. There is no magic to endurance training. Work works.
2013-05-20 7:29 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Extreme Veteran
I agree with JohnnyKay. Bike hard and bike often and be consistent. Try to ride 4+ times a week for at least an hr. Don't just doodle around on the bike....try to keep HR in Zone 2 or higher.
2013-05-21 3:01 AM

User image

Thank you guys for your input. I will definitely try to bike more and harder.. what's the average speed I should able to maintain on my road bike ? In HIM I had an avg of 26 km/h in a relatively flat section and 15 km/h in the climb..
2013-05-21 8:47 AM
in reply to: Lassaad

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
There are too many variables to give you an average speed target. Use things like effort, HR or power (if you have the latter two available to you). Beyond that, work on riding in a more aerodynamic position. If using a road bike, consider some 'shorty' aerobars and maybe a forward seat post. Or get used to riding for long times in the drops. That will help you go faster without gaining additional bike endurance. But from where you are today, it's mostly building that endurance. Just ride. Maybe find a group to ride with that has riders who will push you to hang onto the group.
2013-05-21 10:33 AM

Check out trainerroad.com

I have a pretty good endurance background but usually slack in the winter. I have been using their plan and have seen huge gains. If you have a bike trainer I would definitely look into it.

**I am not a paid spokesman for trainerroad. I just like their product.

2013-05-22 3:59 PM
in reply to: MRDAVIDALEXANDER

Indiana
Originally posted by MRDAVIDALEXANDER

I agree with JohnnyKay. Bike hard and bike often and be consistent. Try to ride 4+ times a week for at least an hr. Don't just doodle around on the bike....try to keep HR in Zone 2 or higher.

I agree and disagree. I agree bike hard and bike often and be consistent. However, I don't consider Zone 2 biking hard. Generally you only get faster on the bike by doing consistent work above Zone 2. Now that said, when one first starts cycling, any consistent work will improve your speed; however, once you can ride 56 miles at 25km/hr, it is time to change your riding if your goal is to get faster at that distance. To get faster on the bike you have to raise your power output (commonly referenced as functional threshold power or FTP). The only real practical way to raise your FTP is efforts above your FTP usually done with intervals. Generally this is not done with zone 2 work on the bike. You should not apply the same training principals for run training for bike training. To boil it down into nontechnical terms you should have rides during your week that contain efforts that are so hard you could only maintain the effort for a few minutes....ride easy then ride extremely hard again. Hills are natural examples of this if you put some effort into getting up them quickly. There are some great post on BT, Slowtwitch and cycling sites like WeightWeenies that have some really detailed discussions about increasing your speed on the bike. Also some sites like Triathlete have 6-8 week bike focused plans for increasing speed. You will see these training plans don't contain a lot of zone 2 riding.
2013-05-22 4:01 PM
in reply to: scutter

Indiana
Originally posted by scutter

Check out trainerroad.com

I have a pretty good endurance background but usually slack in the winter. I have been using their plan and have seen huge gains. If you have a bike trainer I would definitely look into it.

**I am not a paid spokesman for trainerroad. I just like their product.

Good suggestions...the Sufferfest video's can (which can be used with trainer road) are also very good.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Completed my first HIM.. poor bike performance Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

First round of questions in prep for my first HIM - bike aid

Started by rach_1623
Views: 2552 Posts: 18

2010-03-10 5:20 PM rach_1623

Wear MDOT logo clothes before completing first IM? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by joker70
Views: 8580 Posts: 67

2009-03-30 8:18 AM Rogillio

First HIM completed 1 Year into training WOOT!

Started by Baowolf
Views: 1587 Posts: 8

2008-09-29 5:20 PM Aikidoman

First bike ride of the season

Started by Rogillio
Views: 1116 Posts: 3

2007-03-10 11:03 PM jcjsc00

Poor swimmer

Started by achen2iron
Views: 1142 Posts: 3

2005-03-28 12:59 PM T in Liberty Lake
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 20, 2013
author : barryoberholzer
comments : 1
My lungs were burning and my legs were hurting but I had the biggest smile on my face as I ran on the red carpet and received my Ironman 70.3 medal.

date : October 5, 2012
author : MOlsen
comments : 1
Earlier this year I did something I never thought I would do: run a 10k. Last weekend I did something I thought was even further out of reach: complete a triathlon.
date : December 28, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I think I have pes ansurine tendonitis. I have had tender to-the-touch pain on the medial aspect of both knees after riding. The pain is more acute the couple of days after a ride.

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : May 20, 2008
author : mikericci
I just finished my first Ironman - New Zealand, sub 12 hours. I am looking to improve my performance through training but wondering what equipment would help me towards a better performance?

date : October 2, 2007
author : sportfactory
comments : 9
Poor swim technique, overtraining, unilateral breathing, overuse of training equipment all can cause swimmer's shoulder. Read how to avoid injury and strengthen your muscles.
date : July 9, 2007
author : AMSSM
The consensus is that caffeine does enhance performance and decreases perceived exertion in endurance exercise. There are no significant performance benefits in short, high-intensity exercise.

date : February 7, 2007
author : Angie M
comments : 4
In the past 18 months, I have delivered two babies, had meningitis, broken my pelvis, had two surgeries, worked full time, AND completed my first triathlon!