United States
3 Disciplines Racing
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 56m 25s
Overall Rank = 75/81
Age Group = F45-49
Age Group Rank = 5/5
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5 am for the drive to the race. Grabbed some breakfast on the way.
Event warmup:

None
Swim
  • 16m 5s
  • 500 meters
  • 03m 13s / 100 meters
Comments:

All females for the sprint started together. I stayed near the back to start but ended up running into some people by the time we hit the first buoy about 100m out. The rest of the swim ended up being a mix of freestyle, sidestroke and breaststroke. It was OK but I was ready to be done by the end. I'm just not a good OW swimmer - lack of practice probably doesn't help.
What would you do differently?:

Try to find a way to get more OWS practices in.
Transition 1
  • 04m 51s
Comments:

Not sure what took so long here. Partly due to me walking up from the beach to transition instead of running. The wetsuit came of pretty easily, got shoes/socks on, grabbed my helmet and I was off.

Run to transition.
Bike
  • 49m 56s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 14.94 mile/hr
Comments:

This is a basically flat course with just a few little bumps in the road here and there - nothing you can really call a hill. The wind can be strong at times though coming over the fields.
I was really happy with how this went for me. The bike is usually hard for me but this felt pretty good. I stayed in the big chain ring for most of the ride and just tried to keep a steady cadence throughout. One issue I still have though is drinking on the bike. I'm not confident enough that I can control the bike with one hand in order to grab my bottle for a drink. So I did make one stop at the turnaround to grab a quick drink - probably not enough considering how warm the day was becoming.

Nothing really except learn how to grab a drink without feeling like I'm going to crash.
Transition 2
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

I ride in my running shoes so no need to change. Just racked my bike, took off the helmet, grabbed my race belt and water bottle and took off.

Nothing - this went pretty well.
Run
  • 44m 9s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 04m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

They added an additional aid station on the dam because of the heat/humidity. I had my own bottle with Gatorade but the cold water was much better. Running over the dam is hot! There's no shade out there until you get across the dam and hit the turnaround. I think not drinking while on the bike hurts me, especially when the run course is like this one. I took water at each station (one to drink, one to pour over me) but still felt like I could have used more. I did a lot of walking. My legs felt pretty good but trying to run would spike my heartrate. I was able to run a little more on the return trip but I'm disappointed with time here.

Train more off the bike and in direct sun.
Post race
Warm down:

Just trying to cool down - got some water and found my husband. Had a piece of a sub sandwich, then just waited around until transition opened back up to get my stuff.

Last updated: 2013-01-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:05 | 500 meters | 03m 13s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/5
Overall: 65/81
Performance: Average
Suit: AquaSphere
Course: 200m out, 100m to the left, 200m back to the beach
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:51
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:49:56 | 12.43 miles | 14.94 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/5
Overall: 68/81
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back through the park and into the surrounding farmlands.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:26
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:44:09 | 03.1 miles | 04m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/5
Overall: 76/81
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back over the dam.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-05-20 2:03 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri
Subject: Gateway Triathlon - Sprint Course

2013-05-20 3:40 PM
in reply to: #4750184

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!
Subject: RE: Gateway Triathlon - Sprint Course
Question: On the run, were you monitoring your heart rate for medical reasons or just trying to stay in a certain zone? And if you were just trying to stay in a certain zone, why?
2013-05-21 8:53 AM
in reply to: Meljoypip

User image

Expert
Missouri
Subject: RE: Gateway Triathlon - Sprint Course
Originally posted by Meljoypip

Question: On the run, were you monitoring your heart rate for medical reasons or just trying to stay in a certain zone? And if you were just trying to stay in a certain zone, why?

I wasn't really monitoring it (forgot the HRM) - just aware of it if that makes sense. I've been trying to train by HR for the past couple of months so I have a pretty good sense of when it's getting high. I would like to have kept it down at the beginning of the run and then let it go into higher zones towards the end as I pushed myself to finish. That was the original plan anyway - didn't quite work out. I know alot of people will push through the whole race for a sprint but since I was really only racing to finish, I was trying not to blow up too early.

I also have occasional issues with heart palpitations (I've been checked out a couple of times, nothing physically wrong with my heart) that seem to be brought on by heat/humidity and I was having some issues with that when I tried to run. Not enough runs in the heat yet this year. So I was trying to just let my body "calm down" a bit. Not sure what happened - I felt good coming off the bike. I guess I need to add some more bricks to my workout schedule.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gateway Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Gateway Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by Herky007
Views: 650 Posts: 1

2013-05-20 10:48 AM Herky007

Gateway Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by Red2sbr
Views: 1003 Posts: 1

2012-05-21 8:43 AM Red2sbr

Gateway Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by abake
Views: 2434 Posts: 16

2012-05-23 11:01 AM CyborgQueen

Merced Gateway Triathlon - Long Course

Started by hondo77
Views: 1755 Posts: 1

2010-10-27 12:31 AM hondo77

Merced Gateway Triathlon - Long Course

Started by hondo77
Views: 2043 Posts: 1

2009-10-07 9:52 PM hondo77
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : January 1, 2008
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : November 22, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Any good race director will go over the triathlon swim course directions many times.

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.