Trisport Canada
26F / -3C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 06m 42s
Overall Rank = 288/341
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 18/18
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, ate and rode to the race site, it is so nice having the race close to home, about 20 mins riding, got my timing chip and race stuff set up and then just found a cool place to relax before the start
Event warmup:

Ride to the race site, a little jogging before hand, nothing crazy
Run
  • 20m 49s
  • 4 kms
  • 05m 05s  min/km
Comments:

The first km was too fast, 4:50 and I never run under 5:00/km, slowed down for the rest of the run, but was feeling pretty good. Overall time was perfect, was feeling good coming into transition.
What would you do differently?:

Start a little slower but then it seemed to work out just fine.
Transition 1
  • 00m 37s
Comments:

This transition was great, very fast for me, did the shoes on the bike thing and it worked out well

Nothing, perhaps run a little faster through transition
Bike
  • 1h 20m 4s
  • 30 kms
  • 22.41 km/hr
Comments:

Onto the bike with the shoes went well, got them on and up to speed, hit the first two hills and just paced them as best I could, living in the area, I know the course like the back of my hand and knew we would be hitting a bit of a head wind back home. Approx, 9 km out I spotted a guy who was stuck as he had a flat and didn't have a extra co2 or adaptor, stopped and gave him mine. This made me feel great to help out another competitor (foreshadowing!!!) Made it to the turn around and was coming back when I got a flat of my own!! I guess no good deed goes unpunished....but now I didn't have any CO2. Swapped out the tube and waited, a gentleman stopped to help me but when I filled up my tube it just blew again!!! Ugghhh. so no air, no tubes, at least I was close to a cop, called the wife to tell her what was happening and not to worry about me not getting in when I thought I would. Finally a teammate passed by and gave me his repair kit with everything in it. Got the wheel on and set out again. Cornering after this was a bit shaky as I didn't fill the tube all the way in case it was to blow again. Made it back to transition and figured I would just finish the run anyways....good training right??

The entire flat tire experience probably cost me 20-25 mins....that is my best guess as I usually average around 32 km/hr, not 22 km/hr. If you take that out it places me around 55-60 mins which is what I would be expecting to do
Transition 2
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

Good T2, no issues, just glad to be back from the ride, walked a little to get the legs going and then running out of transition. Probably could have shaved off 15 secs from the walk. Lots of teammates and friends there to cheer me on as I was now way back from where everyone thought I would be.

Nothing, T2 went well.
Run
  • 24m 3s
  • 4 kms
  • 06m 06s  min/km
Comments:

So in the first km there is a large hill that was killer to climb up now that it was so hot out. first km was around 5:45/km not bad considering, lots of water and gatorade at the aid stations. had to take a small walking break just before and after the turn around, HR was through the roof and I was definitely over heating. Able to run the rest of the way and pick it up for the line.

Not over heat?? not much, did the best I could
Post race
Warm down:

try and cool down!!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

getting a flat!! meh...first flat in a race ever, figured out that the outer tire was ripped and that is why my replacement tire blew when I inflated it.

Event comments:

Great race!!! my time without the flat would have been around 1:40 or so, which is what I was shooting for and would have improved my placing to the 140's to 150's rather than 288 overall. and around 140 /228 for the males. A bit bummed out that I flatted but such is life and better that it happens now than at ironman.
Thanks for reading.

Last updated: 2013-05-19 12:00 AM
Running
00:20:49 | 04 kms | 05m 05s  min/km
Age Group: 0/18
Overall: 0/341
Performance: Good
5:12 min/km
Course: 2 km out and back, with a long steady hill in the first km
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:37
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
01:20:04 | 30 kms | 22.41 km/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: 15 km out and back with some hills
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:12
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:03 | 04 kms | 06m 06s  min/km
Performance: Average
6:00 min/km
Course: Same as first run
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-05-20 3:39 PM

Subject: Victoria's Duathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Victoria's Duathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Victoria's Duathlon

Started by triguy24
Views: 1247 Posts: 1

2008-05-20 7:54 PM triguy24

Victoria's Duathlon

Started by ajmeyer
Views: 1229 Posts: 1

2008-05-20 2:25 PM ajmeyer

Victoria's Duathlon

Started by richtherunner
Views: 1399 Posts: 2

2008-05-21 4:22 PM Bopper

Victoria's Duathlon

Started by sboucher
Views: 981 Posts: 1

2007-05-22 10:04 AM sboucher

Victoria's Duathlon

Started by richtherunner
Views: 1261 Posts: 1

2007-05-22 7:33 AM richtherunner
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.
date : June 11, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
My first duathlon was a success. I had so many fears before the race but none of those fears happened. And when it was all over, I felt I had accomplished something big.

date : October 30, 2005
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program should be used for an athlete who is new to duathlon and their goal is to complete a sprint duathlon without difficulty. The schedule consists of 3 workouts per week in each sport.
date : October 30, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete who is an experienced duathlete and their goal is to complete a medium distance duathlon without difficulty.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
Don’t forget this is an incredibly big year for sport with the Olympics back in Athens where the modern Olympics started, and especially triathlon to make its second appearance.
date : September 1, 2004
author : AskMrsBT
"I was wondering if this is a sensible approach? Should I get "better" on short distance and then move to something longer or do what I want if I feel I can do it whatever the time?"

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
Bricks refer to training on two disciplines during the same workout.