General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Terramuggus Triathlon Series # 3 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lake Terramuggus Triathlon Series # 3 - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Marlborough, Connecticut
United States
Pig Iron Sports
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 15m 28s
Overall Rank = 72/109
Age Group = = females
Age Group Rank = 17/37
Pre-race routine:

This is a Thursday night event, so the pre-race routine is all about getting home from work, packing up my equipment and getting to the race location on time. Once there, I met my fellow tri training group members and Polly and Rob. Set up my transition area and gave Renee and Marji the lowdown on how the race would work.
Event warmup:

I didnt warm up for this at all. It occurs to me that I probably should : )
Swim
  • 10m 2s
  • 400 yards
  • 02m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

My swim was much improved over my first outing. The swim starts we practiced with my training group and the additional Lake T swim all paid off. I had trouble with my goggles pretty much immediately after the start so sighting was a big problem. I tried to draft off other swimmers and a made it a point to hold my ground when being over taken by other swimmers.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really. Just keep working on my swimming skills so I can go faster and further.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I had a very long run to the bike course! My transition area could not have been further away. I think I did well getting into my shoes and helmet. Remembered to actually take my goggles off before jamming my helmet on my head :)

Get there earlier so I could get a spot closer to the bike course start.
Bike
  • 37m 9s
  • 12 miles
  • 19.38 mile/hr
Comments:

I was a little slower on the bike this time which I will attribute to the general fatique I have been feeling the last couple of weeks. My heartrate monitor was beeping like crazy for the first few miles of the bike and my bike computer was not working at all, so had some distraction at the start. I passed several people at the beginning so was thinking I was doing really well, but when the first hill came I got really winded up near the top and surely lost time there. I lost my focus on the way up and didnt gear it as intelligently as I should have.

Make sure the bike computer is working before the race start. It just needed to be clipped into the base. Make sure it is set up to go so I can check my cadence and speed and time during the bike. Maybe not go out quite so hard at the start. Try to settle in before I start working too hard so my heartrate can adjust and I can work that hill with a better approach.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

The run from the end of the bike course to the timing mat is a challenge with bike shoes on. I nearly junked my bike trying to get around the sand by pushing the bike over a wooden walkway thing. The bike jumped about 3 feet into the air while I hoped and prayed I it wouldnt land on me on its way back to the ground. The run from the mat to my transition area was way too long. Struggled as usual to get the bike shoes off. Its so simple to undo them unless you are trying to do it the wrong way!!

Get to the race earlier and get a better transition area. Avoid the wooden walkway thing. Make sure I dont lay my bike down derallieur side down. Remember how the damn shoes work.
Run
  • 28m 17s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 08m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

I didnt do as well on the run as my first time out. Whatever I gained in the swim, I nearly lost in the run. My runs of late have not been feeling good. I guess I would attribute this to not getting in my weekly 15-20 miles in the last few weeks in an effort to get more biking and swimming in.
I stopped and walked twice for very short periods just because I felt I really had to or I wouldnt make it. Don't like that feeling—really need to work that out.

Not sure. I either need some rest or I need to run more miles in training.
Post race
Warm down:

Tried to catch my breath as I did sprint to the finish. Went back up to the finish area to cheer on my teamates and friends. Chatted with Polly's hubby and Rob.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think I am feeling some fatique from having been on vacation and from the stress at work this week. Throw in some freelance work and job search stress and poor sleep and you get major FATIQUE!!! So whereas I was much improved in terms of skill on the swim which imroved my overall time, I did not perform as well in the bike and the run as I should have so my time was not as good as it could have been.

Event comments:

I love this race because it is very laid back and casual. Its not too big so you can really work on your skills. Everyone is very supportive out on the course and it is really just the best 15 bucks you'll ever spend.

Last updated: 2006-07-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:02 | 400 yards | 02m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/37
Overall: 62/109
Performance: Good
Suit: 2 piece tri suit
Course: out and back
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:37:09 | 12 miles | 19.38 mile/hr
Overall: 64/109
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: 2 loops around the lake—one kind of difficult hill that goes on for longer than I really would like.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:28:17 | 03.2 miles | 08m 50s  min/mile
Overall: 75/109
Performance: Below average
My heartrate was in Zone 4 for too much of the run. This tooks its toll.
Course: The course is a loop around the lake. There is a big hill at the beginning which makes it really tough.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-07-14 6:46 AM

User image

Master
CT
Subject: Lake Terramuggus Triathlon Series # 3

2006-07-14 6:54 AM
in reply to: #482360

User image

Expert
Avon, CT
Subject: RE: Lake Terramuggus Triathlon Series # 3
Great race Pam! I know you weren't feelin it 100% but look how well you did. Check out the improvement on your swim- sweet!
2006-07-14 7:21 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Pam nice rice!!

Sweet improvement both in your time, skills and confidence in the swim...those attributes are awesome and will help you a lot in all tris...cool stuff!

Still wicked fast on the bike and run even if you were fatigued...watch out if you are well rested!

Congrats!

2006-07-14 9:47 AM

Pro
Andover
AWESOME race Pam, especially for not feeling 100% going into it.

Can’t wait to see what you do when you're well rested.

Keep up the good training and let’s get some more OWSs in!
2006-07-20 4:13 AM

User image

Master
Connecticut

Hi Pam,

I just today noticed your comments on my race report and wanted to thank you, so I hope you see this.  It was helpful to hear that you ran into the same issues I did with the swim. I think your observations were dead on about the jam-up being people who may have gone out too fast.

I'd love to meet you next time.   I haven't always been very successful in finding the BT members at races.  I wouldn't be surprised if we chatted with each other and didn't realize it though.I probably won't make it to #4, but I may do the one after.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Terramuggus Triathlon Series # 3 Rss Feed