Ultramax Sports
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 56m 8s
Overall Rank = 56/313
Age Group = 30-34M
Age Group Rank = 7/31
Pre-race routine:

Up early at home with coffee and oatmeal before heading out the door to Lawrence. Got parked at Clinton Lake at about 5:40 am and headed down the hill to transition. Took my time getting everything set up while it began to sprinkle and then waited to see what happened next.
Event warmup:

No warmup. Probably the exact opposite. We knew the rain was going to get heavier and probably end around the time the event was supposed to start. But no one really knew because there was almost zero cell phone service down by the lake. Race officials communicated off and on that they were watching things and would keep us updated.

In the mean time the rain got heavier - but no outright downpour - and the wind picked up. Lightning could be seen off in the distance. With almost zero permanent shelter around the lake and our cars a good 20 minute walk up the hill and away from event communication everyone began to crowd underneath the event stage as well as various club and sponsor tents to keep dry. I myself took the lead of a few individuals and sat underneath an equipment truck which contained the logo of the now defunct Ironman 70.3 Branson race. I shivered and waited. When water started to roll down the parking lot under the truck I pulled on my wetsuit for warmth and to keep dry. I also struck up a conversation with a girl who was set to do her first triathlon today.

At 7:30, the planned race start, they announced that the swim would be canceled due to lightning in the area and the choppy water, and the race would be a time trial bike start. The girl I sat underneath the truck with decided to call it a day not wanting this to be her first triathlon experience. Too bad, but I could understand her position. It was cold, cloudy and not very pleasant at the time. But as luck would have it, just as we began to start the race the winds died down and the rain was gone.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 0 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

Canceled.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Bike
  • 1h 12m 21s
  • 25.85 miles
  • 21.48 mile/hr
Comments:

After the pros and elites went off the age groupers lined up at random in the run out chute, which actually worked quite well for a time trial start. There was no time delay between participants, it was just a moving line, and once you were out of the chute you mounted your bike and you were off. Conveniently, they placed the timing mat after the mount line, allowing you to clip in first before taking off.

Up the hill to start the race. I didn't start too far back in the order of things, but there was a bit of traffic to contend with considering the number of riders starting so close together, the cones set up in the middle of the road for the run, and the spectators marching up the road to the campsite. Breathing and heart rate was high for those first few miles as I tried to get into race mode immediately instead of building up to race pace. Being as it just rained there were a few areas in the road out of the park where there may have been a puddle or two, but there was enough room in the road to maneuver around them. Otherwise, there wasn't too much to worry about in terms of wet pavement. Roads were wet, and the cleanliness of my bike showed it, but there was nothing treacherous.

Across the dam and out to the turn around point there was a small amount of headwind but there was nothing demoralizing about it in the least. This was also about the time when I crossed the dam that you began to have a bit of a battle with one other guy. We yoyo'd back and forth for the majority of the ride until I passed him on the dam hill and then didn't see him again. The only thing of real note was that I just about bit it at the turnaround. I was going a bit too fast and when I braked I think my back wheel was on a white road stripe and it slide a tad out from underneath me. Luckily disaster was avoided and I stayed upright. I smiled at the volunteer who was there telling people to slow down and he shot me a knowing look back.

A pleasantly uneventful ride the rest of the way back to the park. Got a small boost from the wind (depending on which way you were going) and going up the dam hill was no problem at all.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. My first thought every time I look at my bike split is to say "go faster" but I was pleased with my effort level considering where I'm at.
Transition 2
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

I did slow flying dismount off my bike but I lost one of my shoes in the process when the ground unclipped it from my bike. I had to set my bike down against the fence briefly before crossing the timing mat to go back and retrieve it. There was a great volunteer who met me half way and handed it off to me. Not a lot of time lost but a bit inconvenient. Smooth transition otherwise.

70th overall; 9th in age group

I know I could trim seconds off my T2 time by going sockless, but I just can't do it with these shoes. I love these shoes, but they are uncomfortable after more than a mile or two with no socks. So, I'll continue to take the few extra seconds to slip on socks in transition.
Run
  • 42m 37s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

I love running off the bike. Even though the tightness in my quads suggested that my bike fitness is not where it needs to be my legs still responded nicely to the run. I took the run up the hill and into the campground very well. That first mile gave me a 7:02 split, which I'll take. By this time the sun was out and shining in full force. It was turning out to be a beautiful morning. But I was a little hot and probably could've used some fluids; however, I just took some over my head to cool me off. I like to drink on feel and need and at this point and didn't feel like I needed anything sloshing around in my stomach.

Mile two gave an encouraging 6:45 split. As I headed back down the hill for the turnaround towards mile three I heard the footsteps of Jordan Jones and Jon Bird passing me on the way to their first and second place pro finishes. That was kinda neat to see. Usually any race that I'm in that involves pros has the them finished way before I even I've thought about finishing, but the time trial start made that a little different today. Also got to see Sam Warriner and Lauren Goss (among others) as well. And so, despite the downhill run for mile three my split was not as fast as I would have hoped it would be.

My second trot up the hill was tough. I became fully aware of the tightness and heaviness in my quads caused from the bike leg. I fully considered walking, but I stayed mentally tough and my muscles kept from going completely awry to allow me to run all the way up it. It wasn't until I got to the top that I then stopped and walked. I'm not sure what I hoped to accomplish from this as I had no intentions of stretching out my legs or really resting, so I got going again with only lost time to show for it. This produced a disappointing 7:23 mile 4 split. At the aid stations I began taking in Gatorade despite having the urge to burp everything back up after swallowing it, but I needed the electrolytes.

Somewhere around between mile 4 and 5 I had the thought that creeps into my head every time I do a race - this sucks, why do I keep doing these things! But in my best Jens Voigt impersonation I told my legs and brain to shut up. I rebounded nicely from my mile 4 split to finish my run. I was even able to pass a guy in my age group in the final few 100 yards in a tough but fun sprint to the finish line.

Take advantage to the down hill run more. I coasted down it too much on the first lap and didn't use enough of it to finish my race at the end.
Post race
Warm down:

Covered in road grit and salt slime I sat down in the parking lot to rest and catch my breath. Eventually I grabbed a slice of pizza (something I'm very rarely am in the mood for following a race) and the made the long trek up the hill to my car with the bike in tow.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of necessary bike fitness. With the cold spring weather and life with a new baby I just haven't been able to put together much more than trainer sessions in the basement or anything much longer than 25 miles on the bike.

Event comments:

Good race and good, experienced people that organize and put this thing together. It always sucks when the swim or race gets canceled. There can always be second guessing on whether it was the correct call or not, especially with the benefit of hindsight, but that shouldn't impact the evaluation of the overall race. It was well run. It is too bad that this race and the Kansas City Triathlon had to cannibalize itself this year with races on the same weekend.

Last updated: 2013-01-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 00 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/31
Overall: 0/313
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:12:21 | 25.85 miles | 21.48 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/31
Overall: 82/313
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back course. Through Clinton Lake park, across the dam and then eventually east on N 950 Rd before turning around.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 91
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:12
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:42:37 | 06.21 miles | 06m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/31
Overall: 40/313
Performance: Good
Course: Two loop, out and back course up the hill and through campground #3.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-05-21 10:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Subject: Kansas 5150 Triathlon

2013-05-24 9:41 AM
in reply to: #4751416

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Subject: RE: Kansas 5150 Triathlon
Nice job Mike, wish I had that run speed of yours. Did others see the bike distance as long? I didn't have any computer gear so I had no idea. I didn't even start my watch so I had no clue of my bike pace.
2013-05-24 5:09 PM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Subject: RE: Kansas 5150 Triathlon
Thanks!
Others had mentioned that they had the course long too, but the reason I heard was because the organizers didn't want the turn around to be at the bottom of a hill, so they extended it a bit.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kansas 5150 Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Kansas 5150 Triathlon

Started by mikec123
Views: 1023 Posts: 1

2013-05-21 10:11 AM mikec123

5150 Kansas City Triathlon

Started by Barkeep
Views: 1720 Posts: 4

2012-05-24 8:36 PM montyzooma

Started by mroger82
Views: 1528 Posts: 2

2012-05-21 9:15 PM m.a.burghart

Started by lisac957
Views: 2478 Posts: 10

2012-05-22 1:25 PM KansasMom

Started by montyzooma
Views: 1850 Posts: 6

2012-05-31 8:45 PM thecaptin
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : January 25, 2012
author : trmat79
comments : 1
The next thing you know it is time for bed and another workout day has passed. This is where the heart comes in.
date : November 29, 2011
author : trmat79
comments : 2
A story about the motivation to overcome everyday challenges

date : October 4, 2011
author : MikeyT1298
comments : 6
First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack
date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing

date : June 27, 2011
author : pyroman1_1
comments : 3
Lake Havasu Tri 3/19/2011
date : May 26, 2011
author : gdsemiller
comments : 14
Towards the end of December 2010 both my daughter and son came up to me and said “Daddy we want you to get healthy and not die."

date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon