World Triathlon Corporation
95F / 35C
Sunny
Total Time = 13h 03m 46s
Overall Rank = 793/2400
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 137/440
Pre-race routine:

I live in The Woodlands so I got up @ 3:45, ate a bagel w/peanut butter, banana, and cup of OJ. This is my training routine. I actually didn't feel nervous; I just enjoyed my b-fast and read some news. After that, I headed on down to the race area to drop off some bottles, throw something in my T1 bag and walked to the swim start.
Event warmup:

I did a little stretching but nothing out of the normal.
Swim
  • 1h 22m 24s
  • 4224 yards
  • 33s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my first mass start and first IM. The first 800 to 900 yards was a fight. I never thought I was going to drowned, just searched for some breathing room and space. My coach physically prepared me for this swim. I never once felt tired or exhausted.
What would you do differently?:

I had been training at an average of 1:38 to 1:45 per 100 yards. The problem with this swim was me. My sighting sucked as I simply just targeted the yellow and red buoies. The caused me to zig-zag which actually increased the swim distance. As I made the right to go into the canal I could have cut the corner better. For my next race I will try and sight better, stop the zig-zag and use some actual strategy.
Transition 1
  • 07m 29s
Comments:

Out of the water I ran to get my T1 bag. I yelled out my number but the volunteer gave me the wrong bag. I didn't realize it until i was in the change tent. So I had to run back to the bags, put the wrong one back to where it belonged and grab mine. This added a few minutes. Ultimately this was my fault since it is my responsibility to get the right bag.

Once i grab the bag I will double check that i was given the right bag.
Bike
  • 5h 58m 52s
  • 112 miles
  • 18.73 mile/hr
Comments:

My goal was to get a sub 6 on the bike - mission accomplished. To be honest I really enjoyed the bike. I live in the area so i know these roads. I knew what to expect and where. I followed my nutrition plan almost to the tee. After the first 30 minutes I consumed a gel, then 25 minutes after that I consumed another gel, then ate a stinger waffel after two gels. I repeated this cycle ever 25 minutes. Had a salt stick every hour for the first 3 hours then when it heated up i ate 2 salt sticks every hour.

I sipped on water and a little perform all during the ride. I never felt thirsty and even had to pee...which i did while riding. At around mile 40 i would grab a water and put it on my bike, then grab another and pour that all over my face back and neck. I really stayed cool and hydrated for this ride.

I did feel a slight bloated feeling during the first half of the ride. This was because I swallowed plenty of air during the swim. I fixed this problem by passing the gas which made the bloated feeling instantly disappear.

I watched my HR during the bike and kept it at or under 143 BPM. Me and other riders talked a lot. i figure next time I can push it a little more to lower that time to something a little more respectable. But with this being my first IM I didn't know what to expect so i played it safe...maybe a little too safe.
Transition 2
  • 05m 37s
Comments:

A volunteer grabbed my bike once i got into transition. I took shoes off in grass and made my way to the T2 bags. After the T1 debacle, I made sure that i had the correct bag. I wore sock so my feet didnt burn on the concrete unlike other athletes. No blisters. Got into the change tent, drank some water, threw some Vaseline on my junk, put new socks on, threw my K-Swiss A-Kona's on, grabbed my Marine Corps desert boonie cover and headed out.

Not sure, thought this was a little smoother. I think maybe next time I'll leave my shoes on bike but i wasn't positive about that rule for this race.
Run
  • 5h 29m 24s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 04m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

Once off the bike and on the run I could tell this was going to be a very hot and brutal death march. I had to adjust my strategy so that I didn't complete fall apart by mile 13. I really took it easy - maybe too easy during the first half of the marathon but it was tough. My physical fitness was not the issue; yes my legs were tired but not tore up. My concern was the heat. I had to get my HR back into my zone. I would walk and run, walk and run, walk and run during the first half. I was trying to really save my self for mile 13.1 and beyond.

on my second loop i retrieved my special needs bag so that I could change my socks. This felt great. I had also been feeling bloated so i went into the bathroom at NorthShore park and tried to make myself throw up - i just gagged.

At the aid station I drank water, held ice in my hands, put ice down my shorts and in my hat. This helped. Towards the halfway point I felt better and increased my running. I felt a little cramping so i forced myself to sip on perform. On the second lap i would run, then walk a little then tell myself "ok...run to that sign". If I felt good i would continue the run.

By this time i knew my goal of getting a 11:59 or better was blown. So i headed towards that 12:59 or better. I was watching my watch and i thought I had it but when i headed down the shoot the clock said 13:03 - damn.

I had plenty of friends and family along the course and some friends in the race. Seeing them was very motivational as you might expect. The crowds were awesome along the waterway and the isolation along the far part of the course was also very interesting. I enjoyed every minute of it.

I wasn't as emotional as I thought I might have been. Additionally, I never went to any dark places were i questioned my reasons for doing an Ironman nor did i ever contemplate quitting at anytime during IronmanTexas. It is because of this that I realize that I could have pushed harder and for longer.

I was off my goal by 64 minutes. I could have reached this if i had swam and sighted straighter, pushed it a little more on the bike, and endured a little more on the run. Physically and mentally i was prepared for this race - my coach made sure of that. I think my issues was I kept trying to reserve myself when i should have pushed more.
Post race
Warm down:

Going down the shoot a saw my family and friends that had come out to watch. I gave everyone i could a high five. It was an awesome experience - one that i will be doing again. Once through the shoot and across the line i simply just wanted to sit down. My mother, wife and kids left after a few hugs. My dad stayed with me to get my bike and bags and to make sure I didnt pass out - he drove my truck. Once in the truck i suddenly started sweating profusely and thought I was going to throw up but it didn't happen. At home I thought it would be a good idea to have a beer. My body felt differently though because i started sweating and threw up that beer.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I limited my self, of course the heat had plenty to do with it as well.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-07-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:22:24 | 4224 yards | 33s / 100yards
Age Group: 149/440
Overall: 900/2400
Performance: Below average
Suit: no
Course: Swim south, make a quick turn around and head north then head east down the canal.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 07:29
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
05:58:52 | 112 miles | 18.73 mile/hr
Age Group: 147/440
Overall: 801/2400
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind
Course: One large loop that goes through the national forest and through green farmland.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 05:37
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:29:24 | 26.2 miles | 04m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 137/440
Overall: 794/2400
Performance: Below average
(these new autocalc numbers are wrong)
Course: Three loop course with almost half of each loop along the waterway and awesome crowds.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-05-21 11:15 AM

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, Tx
Subject: Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas

2013-05-21 12:18 PM
in reply to: #4751469

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas
Nice job, Ironman! It sounds like you had a smart strategy for the heat of the day - getting across the finish line is pretty awesome!
2013-05-21 6:46 PM

User image

Regular
Great job, congrats. A big win to cross the finish line in this one.
2013-05-21 8:55 PM
in reply to: tallytom

User image

Pro
CyFair
Nice job man. South Coast represented well Saturday.
2013-05-21 9:25 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
Good work on a tough day. Congrats.
2013-05-22 7:59 PM
in reply to: papson14

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, Tx
Thanks. That was a tough day, glad I was a part of it.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas

Started by TxMatt
Views: 2855 Posts: 4

2013-05-30 5:14 PM rach5928

Started by VarneyT
Views: 2623 Posts: 3

2013-05-21 9:33 PM papson14

Started by mman
Views: 2367 Posts: 3

2013-05-21 9:35 PM papson14

Started by chrisisen
Views: 2882 Posts: 5

2013-05-21 9:38 PM papson14

Started by jimmyb
Views: 3274 Posts: 12

2013-05-22 10:25 AM TriAya
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : April 15, 2010
author : CobbCycling
comments : 2
In this article, we are going to explore air movements over and around the front end of a bike and rider. We will examine how air affects these frontal areas.
date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?

date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?
date : October 9, 2007
author : She-Ra
comments : 12
I never imagined that 350 yards broken down into 7 REALLY long lanes would be so big! I gasped out loud and told Grady that maybe I had underestimated the swim.

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.