Multisport Canada
15C / 59F
Overcast
Total Time = 39m 33s
Overall Rank = 1/113
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 1/15
Pre-race routine:

Mixed my typical morning shake and was going to add a little Carbo Pro for a boost in energy, but then I opened up the container and WHAT empty... gotta love having teenagers haha. Figured it was a short one (mini-sprint) just to warm up the race season, so on with everything.

Got the cheering crew together and fed, not an easy task, and I couldn't have done it without my partner in crime and number 1 fan (to be honest 1-100) my wife Hilary of course. Loaded the Journey with race gear and snacks for the whole crew and off we went. Enjoyed the drive out there and joked about the weather (I know it wasn't really your fault for the rain baby... HAHA). The day was a little damp, but didn't rain while I was on course! Yahoo!!!

Got to the facility at about 7:00 and proceeded to do the usual pre-race stuff as far as set-up, body marking, and pre-race meeting.
Event warmup:

Stayed inside Genesis Place, cause it was cold out!
Swim
  • 06m 17s
  • 300 meters
  • 02m 05s / 100 meters
Comments:

Got caught behind a slower swimmer for about half a length. He let me pass at the end (THANK-YOU!!!) and then it was pretty smooth sailing from there on. I think I could have pushed a little harder. Still not as comfortable in the water as I should be.
What would you do differently?:

Swam harder.
Transition 1
  • 02m 5s
Comments:

Felt T1 went well.

There was a run from the pool to T1 (200m?) so I gave this one more time than T2. Then a bit of a run to the mount line (50m?)

Made good decisions at the time needed. Shirt, no jacket. Number Belt. Shoes, no socks. Leave the gloves. Helmet on, grab the bike and GO!!!

Nothing. I think it went smoothly.
Bike
  • 19m 9s
  • 10 kms
  • 31.33 km/hr
Comments:

Got caught behind a slower rider in the no pass zone.

At the end of the path I pushed the bike hard and got up to speed. There was a little head wind on the way out of town, and a little on the way in to transition. Just thought to myself, "make yourself as small as you can and keep pushing".

Try not to get caught in a no pass zone.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

Felt T2 went well.

Again I think I made good decisions at the time needed. Rack bike. Helmet off. Shoes off, shoes on, no socks. Turn number around on the way out and HIT IT!!!

Nothing, I think it went well. Might practice transitions one of these days... haha
Run
  • 11m 2s
  • 2.5 kms
  • 13m 36s  min/km
Comments:

Got out of transition with a girl in front of me. She didn't want to be passed, I wanted to pass... I passed.

Calves felt on the edge of cramping, but it was nothing I couldn't push through, and I knew that from experiencing the feeling in the past, it wouldn't last. So I settled into an uncomfortable pace and pushed through. On the way back I helped another competitor stay on the right path when she was confused asking for help at a fork in the path.

I saw Robert with about 500m left in the run and thought this is where the kick should go and I picked it up just a little more, not wanting to leave anything on the course.

I felt great crossing the line knowing I gave it everything I had, but not really knowing how well I did.

Nothing. Felt just like it should have. Uncomfortable.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some Opa! and a couple of cookies to "refuel". Not at all because I love cookies... Sat down with Hilary, the kids and Sara, and talked about the race.

Super happy with the outcome of this one. Hilary says I'm not allowed to do this distance anymore... haha, I agree.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim speed. Need to push harder in the pool. I don't think I have raced the swim yet.

Last updated: 2013-01-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:17 | 300 meters | 02m 05s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/15
Overall: 13/113
Performance: Average
Suit: Zoot
Course: 6 laps in a 25m pool.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:05
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:19:09 | 10 kms | 31.33 km/hr
Overall: 1/113
Wind: Some
Course: Single 10km loop. First 400m out on the park pathway, no pass zone. The rest of it was on paved town roads and secondary highways, it was mostly flat, with no real hills to speak of. A little damp and some gravel in places but overall dry and smooth.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 88
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:11:02 | 02.5 kms | 13m 36s  min/km
Overall: 4/113
Course: Single 2.5km loop along park pathways. Again pretty flat and dry. There were a couple of undulations, but nothing that I would call a hill.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2013-05-21 3:14 PM

User image

Calgary, Alberta
Subject: Try This Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Try This Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Try this Triathlon

Started by choochoo
Views: 934 Posts: 1

2007-07-03 12:08 AM choochoo

Try this Triathlon

Started by ssshaunaaa
Views: 1118 Posts: 1

2007-06-05 2:16 PM ssshaunaaa

Try this Triathlon

Started by Khyron
Views: 1152 Posts: 2

2007-06-04 8:25 PM marymosc13

Try this Triathlon

Started by rooneye
Views: 1106 Posts: 2

2007-06-04 8:59 PM naners

Try-Paris Triathlon

Started by kpar
Views: 665 Posts: 1

2007-04-16 9:49 PM kpar
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon

date : December 19, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
My right knee has a pain in the front, just below the kneecap. I walked 24 miles of IM Louisville. No pain while walking but it started immediately when trying to run.
date : November 19, 2007
author : CyndiPPF
So here I was, a hard-working, respectable, just-turned-forty-six-year-old, who never considered herself athletic, lining up in my swim cap and goggles for my first triathlon.

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.
date : July 17, 2005
author : Iron MaYden
comments : 8
What to wear under the wetsuit? What to wear for the bike and the run? Good thing someone invented the wonderful trisuit, to which we’ve become accustomed. It’s supposed to make our lives so simple.

date : May 16, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Enter the new TYR X-Sight goggles. The X-Sights have been designed with a flexible nose bridge that (surprise, surprise) is shaped like an “X”.
date : January 10, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
It's great to have goals, but by itself, a goal is not much. Have you ever shared with someone else that you would “try” to accomplish a goal?

date : September 14, 2004
author : DoubleDown
Can anyone think of a better way to spend Labour Day weekend than doing your first tri? Ok, maybe doing your 2nd, 3rd...50th tri...but you get my point. :)