General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heart Issues Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-21 4:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Huntington Beach
Subject: Heart Issues
Hey guys. Been off the forums for a few years now. The site has changed a lot from the last visit! Still see a bunch of the same guys posting and helping the newcomers. Good to see.

Anyways, I have been doing endurance sports for 8 years now. Have done a bunch of marys, handful of 70.3, two 140.6, and the last couple years have dropped tri altogether and have been doing ultra-running including a few 50k's, two 50 milers, and one failed attempt at Wasatch 100 (completed 75 before DNF).

The reason I am writing this post is because I am having some concerns with my heart and I want to hear from some fellow endurance athletes who have done the same kind of events as me. I am all too conscious of my heart with a regular feeling of pressure on it, some incredibly low HR's, some incredibly high HR's, and regular chest pain after running over a couple hours. Just finished BHS 50 miler this past weekend and my heart felt sore and was beating over 120 all night and into the next day.

When doing tri I never (that I can remember) had heart issues on the bike or swimming. It almost always arises after stopping running. Elevation seems to play a good toll on it as well.

To help ease my mind I have scheduled an EKG and chest x-ray with my physician next week. It has been on my mind for 8 years now and I am finally getting around to it. Thinking if it is serious I probably would have had something bad happen already....

I just want to hear from my fellow endurance peers if they have the same kind of issues and how normal it is. I know there are a lot of MD's on this forum as well so any word from them would be great. I am signed up for Leadville 100 this August and want to get a better understanding of what is going on in my chest before I take to the mountains and stay anaerobic for hours at 10k feet. Thanks and any feedback is much appreciated!

2013-05-21 5:52 PM
in reply to: VinemanCalifornia

Subject: RE: Heart Issues
Good on you for scheduling an EKG. Let me add, pressure on the heart is something that you should address at once. You need to see a cardiologist. Are these high and low HR occurring at rest? I am a respiratory therapist and I've seen many many people presenting with some of the same problems you stated. Good news is a Cardiologist can figure out what's going on quickly. If I were you I would pause my training until your heart is cleared. JMHO. Hope you get this figured out super quick!
Tyler
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heart Issues Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ankle issues (and occasional knee issues)

Started by Homer J
Views: 962 Posts: 5

2006-07-07 9:37 PM parrj

Achiles Issues

Started by kelshol
Views: 994 Posts: 2

2005-05-30 7:21 AM Rowdy

Achilles Tendon Issues

Started by Bik
Views: 5826 Posts: 6

2005-02-22 10:16 PM pattstrap

Knee Issue

Started by fcarter389
Views: 1898 Posts: 19

2004-12-20 8:05 PM tribesman

Bike: Carpal Tunnel and lower back issues??

Started by KathyG
Views: 1265 Posts: 6

2004-11-11 11:59 PM KathyG
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 30, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 4
Fast forward to now after many triathlons and marathons, my back is worse than ever. What helps lumbar back issues? Shots, physical therapy, surgery?

date : September 16, 2010
comments : 1
Everytime I up my run mileage I get injured. As I train I seem to inevitably get pulled calves, IT band syndrome then achilles issues. What can I do?
date : November 12, 2008
comments : 0
On the long bike rides of 80+ miles I get very strong pain in my toes. I slow down my pace and I might recover, but when I hit the next hill it is back. Could this be some kind of circulation issue?

date : October 20, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
People who range from casual exercisers to competitive athletes are eating at the wrong times, choosing the wrong balance of carbohydrates, protein, and fat, and drinking too little fluids.
date : June 16, 2008
What are all these new funny-shaped saddles all about? Are they more comfortable than older designs? Will they keep me healthier so I can train on my bike longer? Should I change my saddle?

date : November 4, 2007
Will sustained exercise at or near maximum heart rate increase the risk of heart damage, or heart failure. Is the cardiac muscle also subject to strain and damage as other muscles?
date : January 16, 2007
I suspect your nutrition and training program may have more to do with your symptoms than your Clydesdale classification.

date : March 5, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussion on tapering, treadmill workout, long run issues, insituting run/walk, surrounded by hills and knowing your LT.